Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#660926 - 10/27/08 09:19 AM Yamaha P-250 Stuck Key
mnrGrooveMovement Offline

Loc: Baltimore
Hello,

I have a stuck key on my Yamaha P-250 keyboard. Its not completely stuck but the response is alot slower, and sometimes the key doesn't return at all. I plan to take the casing off and see if I can get inside and poke around or try to re-set the key.

I'm pretty disappointed by it though, and I don't know if its worse that it happened while moving it or whether it is a result of humidity/someone's spilled drink, etc.

If anyone has suggestions for repairing, or has had a similar problem I'd like your input. Thanks.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#660927 - 10/27/08 11:31 AM Re: Yamaha P-250 Stuck Key
jjtpiano Offline

Loc: Jamestown, NC
If you've bent the board in front of the keys, that will cause the problem you describe.

Get a technician who's experienced with Yamaha stage pianos, and he can fix it.

Humidity or spilled drinks won't cause the problem you describe.

#660928 - 10/28/08 10:30 AM Re: Yamaha P-250 Stuck Key
mnrGrooveMovement Offline

Loc: Baltimore
Thanks. I talked to a technician and they said it could be a couple hundred to repair. Would it be a terrible idea to just try sanding the side of the key to see if that fixes the problem before turning it over to the technician?

Also, any idea how to open up the casing? I can see it is on hinges in the back but I can't seem to see how it opens.

Thanks for the advice.

#660929 - 10/28/08 11:08 AM Re: Yamaha P-250 Stuck Key
jjtpiano Offline

Loc: Jamestown, NC
A couple of hundred sounds high.

If you want to try to fix it yourself, my first thought would be to try to get the board back straight. I don't think I'd ever try sanding the keys. I'd stick up a gas station to get the couple of hundred first.

If you look underneath the keyboard, you'll see any number of phillips headed screws. You have to take them all out, remembering where they go back, because some are different sizes.

Also, you might want to call another technician. Mine would do it for the cost of a service call, $85.

#660930 - 10/28/08 10:51 PM Re: Yamaha P-250 Stuck Key
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Boogie Down
FORGET technicians. They're a total ripoff, not to mention they take weeks to do something that takes an hour or two because they have other repairs and need to wait for parts. The P250 as more bells and whistles than my P80, but the action should be similar. I've taken apart my P80 numerous times to fix the very problem you're talking about.

Keys get warped after years of extensive playing. Look very closely at the key in question. Does it look a little off? I mean, even SLIGHTLY off? If it is, then it's simply the plastic key itself. Just call Yamaha's parts department and order a new one. Take the hood off, remove the key, and replace it. It's a bit involved, but once you see how it works, it's really not a big deal.

The way it works on mine, is you have to bend out the felt strip under the hammer in order to let the hammer extend beyond the felt strip. This will release the key. Remove the key and put the hammer and felt back into place. To install the new key, you just hook the thin metal thingy (for lack of a better term) into the rear of the new key, dip the front end of the key below the surface and hook it into some other thingy down there, and then snap the rear into place. Yeah, I'm not describing it well because I don't know the names of all the little parts, but you'll figure it out.

Just be careful when removing the hood that you don't yank off any wiring that connects the two pieces.

I once took my P80 to a tech and while it seemed that he fixed the problem, I found out later when I took it apart myself that he didn't do a damn thing. Luckily, it was under warranty at the time and I didn't have to pay for it. So I recommend you try to fix it yourself.

#660931 - 01/02/09 06:59 PM Re: Yamaha P-250 Stuck Key
WayneB Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
There's a useful thread on one way to repair this type of problem at:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1134867

-Wayne

#660932 - 02/19/09 02:28 PM Re: Yamaha P-250 Stuck Key
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
Generally you will find the broken piece inside and can glue it back on. Use a plastic bonder with an pre-activator such as the Loctites brand and notch two dovetailed type slots into the broken part to add strength on the joint. If theres not enough material to do that then lightly score the mating surfaces with an exacto knife. Do not use CA glue, regular epoxies, or PVC cement...the joint will fail and possibly become contaminated for any further gluing attempts.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
163 registered (36251, accordeur, anrpiano, alfredo capurso, 55 invisible), 1748 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153708 Topics
2253294 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Acoustics and Piano Positioning
by PNO40
5 minutes 20 seconds ago
Is this the room to talk about the Yamaha PSR's ?
by MacGuy
11 minutes 6 seconds ago
Where can I test a Kawai VPC-1?
by jp2011
11 minutes 13 seconds ago
Schimmel Mod. 150 - NR
by Rudy99golf
12 minutes 30 seconds ago
Practing songs vs. doing excersises
by cowchin12
29 minutes 29 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission