2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
i bought a baldwin rp90 recently. I need to be able to plug in my headphones on to the piano, but it has no headphone jack.. The piano has a input (left right), output (left right), computer, and Midi (in, out, thru)holes.

When i first bought the digital piano, I thought that the only thing that i would eventually need is some kind of converter to change the two output jacks into a headphone jack in order for me to listen to my piano through a headphone set. Finding such a thing is harder then i imagined it to be.

I found a single headphone to output jack converter at a store and tried that out on the piano today. I tried plugging it into the left output, no sound through the headphones at all. I tried plugging the headphone to the right output, no sound either. The piano completely ignores the headphone that is plugged into the piano and plays the notes through its speakers without a care.. That really is starting to worry me. Does this mean that putting a headphone through the output will have no effect? i mean it should at least react to the single output that is plugged in and have sounds coming through the headphones..

Getting really worried. Any ideas will be much appreciated

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You could connect the L&R out to the aux in of a stereo amp and use its headphone jack. But then if that doesn't mute the local speakers, it might not serve your purpose.

Some digital pianos have a switch on the back panel to turn off the local speakers when using external amplification.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I looked for an online manual, Baldwin seems to have nothing.

It seems impossible that a digital piano would not have a headphone jack, quiet practice is the biggest selling point they have. So I think you need to look further. I looked on some sale sites, the RP90 was described as having two headphone jacks.

Have you looked at every inch of surface for a headphone jack and an on-off switch? Yamaha has some in strange places underneath the keybed.

You have a master volume control, right? If you turn that all the way down, your speakers shouldn't sound. That's the way I do MIDI on my Yamaha if I'm in a hurry.

So now your speakers are quiet, you have to get sound out. You have MIDI, so you know you can take a MIDI out into a PC using a MIDI cord or a USB if it has one. Then your PC makes the sound and you put your headphones onto that. But that seems unnecessarily clunky.

What kind of connector are your outputs? RCA like on a stereo? or 1/4 like a guitar jack? If the latter, they probably are actually TRS and your adaptor may not be right.

I wouldn't use a stereo except to test this, a dedicated headphone amp would be better if levels are the problem.

Sorry to think out loud. It seems likely this is solvable, probably easily.

Other possibilities: your headphones are broken. your headphones need extremely high signal levels for some reason. your outputs are broken. your outputs are inputs and vice versa. you got a bad connector at the store.

gotta go practice
I search through Google and found an add for an RP90 for sale, stating it has 2 headphones connectors ... you might call the seller to get help!

the ad web page

Hope this helps

Adult Beginner on a Roland FP-7
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
If you were trying to connect to the Aux Out or (Line Out) jacks using an adapter, I think you'd hear very little sound, perhaps none, because the output level and impedance don't match the headphones. Aux Out is meant to feed an amplifier or recorder or similar device, not headphones. (Still, I'd think you'd get a tiny bit of sound ... strange.)

A Google search for the user's manual turned up nothing. But gibson.com (apparently Gibson now owns Baldwin?) lists four Baldwin/Wurlitzer DPs, of which two are uprights: the RP350 and the RP380. I downloaded the RP350 manual, hoping to find info on the headphone jacks. I figured that wherever the jacks were located on this current model should be the same as your RP90.

Here's what it shows for the RP350 model (looks just like lots of other DPs):
[Linked Image]

So Baldwin and Wurlitzer are both under one roof now? Gibson's roof?

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Every digital piano ever made has a headphone
jack, so yours has one--somewhere. On some
digitals it's in an unusual place, like
under the keyboard unit. Try looking around,
everywhere, on the piano. It's got to
be there somewhere. It might even be behind
some kind of panel or under a flap, but it's there
somewhere.

E
OP Offline
E
Originally posted by L Horwinkle:
If you were trying to connect to the Aux Out or (Line Out) jacks using an adapter, I think you'd hear very little sound, perhaps none, because the output level and impedance don't match the headphones. Aux Out is meant to feed an amplifier or recorder or similar device, not headphones. (Still, I'd think you'd get a tiny bit of sound ... strange.)

A Google search for the user's manual turned up nothing. But gibson.com (apparently Gibson now owns Baldwin?) lists four Baldwin/Wurlitzer DPs, of which two are uprights: the RP350 and the RP380. I downloaded the RP350 manual, hoping to find info on the headphone jacks. I figured that wherever the jacks were located on this current model should be the same as your RP90.

Here's what it shows for the RP350 model (looks just like lots of other DPs):
[Linked Image]

So Baldwin and Wurlitzer are both under one roof now? Gibson's roof?
Man i feel like such an idiot. I remember i looked for good 15 minutes once for that headphone jack. I couldnt spot it for the best of me. If it wasnt for that pic that you just posted, i would have never found it...

Thanks man, seriously haha.

And yes, i recently found out that Baldwin filed for bankruptcy and Gibson bought their label. Found that little tidbit of info while searching for those damn headphone jacks

Originally posted by TimR:
I looked for an online manual, Baldwin seems to have nothing.

It seems impossible that a digital piano would not have a headphone jack, quiet practice is the biggest selling point they have. So I think you need to look further. I looked on some sale sites, the RP90 was described as having two headphone jacks.

Have you looked at every inch of surface for a headphone jack and an on-off switch? Yamaha has some in strange places underneath the keybed.

You have a master volume control, right? If you turn that all the way down, your speakers shouldn't sound. That's the way I do MIDI on my Yamaha if I'm in a hurry.

So now your speakers are quiet, you have to get sound out. You have MIDI, so you know you can take a MIDI out into a PC using a MIDI cord or a USB if it has one. Then your PC makes the sound and you put your headphones onto that. But that seems unnecessarily clunky.

What kind of connector are your outputs? RCA like on a stereo? or 1/4 like a guitar jack? If the latter, they probably are actually TRS and your adaptor may not be right.

I wouldn't use a stereo except to test this, a dedicated headphone amp would be better if levels are the problem.

Sorry to think out loud. It seems likely this is solvable, probably easily.

Other possibilities: your headphones are broken. your headphones need extremely high signal levels for some reason. your outputs are broken. your outputs are inputs and vice versa. you got a bad connector at the store.
Hey timr. As you probably read above, i overcame my stupidity. But thanks for your effort though. I really appreciate it laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission