Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#661048 - 06/02/01 01:28 PM Baldwin Pianovelle RP90
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Greetings all,

I just signed up, and have spent a good chunk of the morning pouring over the various discussion threads. So glad I found this site !!

I am thinking of getting a digital piano. I am leaning towards this because: 1) I live in an apartment, like to practice odd hours, and so headphones is a great thing; 2) I want to be able to utilize midi; 3) Do composing at both keyboards (PC) and (Piano). I had been thinking about something very portable for gigging (easily carried in and out of places). But I was at a music shop checking out Korg's SP100 and found myself spending most of the time seated at the Baldwin digital pianos. Anyone have any experience with these? Recommendations? Ultimately, I want something that approximates as best as possible the sound and touch of a piano and integrates with Midi. Thanks in advance !!

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: netizen ]

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: netizen ]

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#661049 - 06/02/01 02:56 PM Re: Baldwin Pianovelle RP90
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Greetings Netizen,

I haven't played the Baldwin's, but I did try a number of digitals before I decided on the Yamaha P-80. I wanted it for many of the same reasons you indicated.

Because I'm a fair piano player and a piano tuner, I wanted "real" piano sound and a good touch. The P-80 has some excellent piano voices, 88 notes, touch sensitive weighted keys, and is MIDI compatible (with built in sequencing). I'm sure there are others out there that are as good or better, but for under $1000.00 (you can usually find them around $995) I think it is on of the better deals.
It has 6 piano voices, plus a variation on each, and a few other voices (harpsichord, strings, etc. They aren't that great).

If you get a chance, check one out.

Frank B.
Piano World

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: PianoWorld ]
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

#661050 - 06/02/01 03:01 PM Re: Baldwin Pianovelle RP90
Diarmuid Offline

Hi,

I haven't played any of the Baldwin digital pianos, but I did try a lot of others before finally buying a Yamaha GranTouch. Of all the ones I tried this was by far the best (although not perfect!). I'm not radically pro Yamaha, but their digital pianos are very good. Unfortunately the GranTouch is not really portable, but you could try a clavinova or a p80 (a very well loved keyboard by a lot of people).

If it helps at all you can hear a recording I made on my Yamaha. Just click this Liszt Romance

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: PianoWorld ]

#661051 - 06/03/01 07:33 PM Re: Baldwin Pianovelle RP90
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Hi Frank and Diarmuid,

I definitely will check out the Yamaha's. A friend had suggested a Yamaha YDP-101. But the P80 sounds like it might match-up pretty nicely with my requirements. Hopefully, I'll have time this week --before leaving for vacation --to try one of these.

I much appreciate Diarmuid's sending me the link. Great sounding and nicely performed!!

Just read in one of the other threads about Baldwin filing for bankruptcy. That's too bad, not just because I was impressed the Pianovelle RP90, but because I've long admired the Baldwin grands. Given this turn of events, I am hesistant to give further consideration to the Baldwin digitals --who knows what it may mean in terms of customer service and such.

Thanks for the help --and I'm always open to further ideas. I'll let you know how the search goes.

#661052 - 06/06/01 10:17 PM Re: Baldwin Pianovelle RP90
Jerry Van Ee Offline

Loc: Vancouver, B.C. (Canada)
Three years ago I bought an Alesis QS8 synth for our church. Considering it is actually a synthesizer, it still makes a great digital piano. However, I heard a rumour last week that Alesis has gone belly-up. (They did it the same week as Baldwin, so they are in good company, so to speak.) I would see if you can pick up an Alesis QS8 or DG8 somewhere. (Maybe there is a bankrupcy sale out there.) If you do not want to buy from a company that is likely going to be gone soon, I suggest you check ou the Technics stage pianos. I tried one in a store a few weeks ago and I was blown away by the action and the sound. It also weighs in at 35 pounds so it is very portable. I am going to recommend one to our church for the Fireside Room. We will continue to use the Alesis in the sanctuary, alongside a new concert grand we hope to buy in the next few weeks. (Make and model of concert grand is not yet decided. I'll make a seperate post when we finally buy, since I have had a lot help from this forum.)

So, try the Technics and don't ignore Alesis. Two unlikely companies that make great sounding digital pianos.

#661053 - 06/06/01 10:20 PM Re: Baldwin Pianovelle RP90
Jerry Van Ee Offline

netizen:

I just realized after hitting the post button, that you may not have been aware of Baldwin's financial troubles. Don't let this scare you away from their digital pianos. They don't really make them anyway. They are made for them by General Music (GEM) in Italy. Also, I have heard great things about them, though I cannot say I have actually played one.

#661054 - 06/07/01 06:31 AM Re: Baldwin Pianovelle RP90
magnezium Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
you might want to try the yamaha disklaviers... they're like regular upright pianos but you can connect them to your computer etc... works with headphones too... and when you're not on electricity you can enjoy a nice piano sound... though i can't stand the yamaha sound... it isn't portable though...=]

#661055 - 06/07/01 11:10 AM Re: Baldwin Pianovelle RP90
Mat D. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan
I haven't tried many of the digi pianos, but the Alesis QS8 is a lot of bang for the buck. I'm thinking of one for my church next year. The "Stereo" piano samples are outstanding and there is a ROM card reader for adding sounds from the Alesis library.

BTW, I find it difficult to believe that Alesis is in financial trouble--we should check into that. They were & still are pioneers in digital multitrack recoders (ADAT) I own 4 of them. Also, they have recently announced their new 24 track direct to disk recorder-----I suspect the rumor is wrong---I keep a pretty close eye on the digital recording market.

Mat D.

#661056 - 06/07/01 11:13 AM Re: Baldwin Pianovelle RP90
Mat D. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Pardon me, the QS8 is the wrong model # for the one I was thinking of. The model I'm thinking of has the same sample based 'engine', but comes in a case w/ speakers & music rack etc. Sorry I can't recall the model #.

The QS8 is quite portable though.

Mat D.

#661057 - 06/08/01 01:45 AM Re: Baldwin Pianovelle RP90
Jerry Van Ee Offline

Mat:

I think the model you are thinking about is the DG8. It is the same as the QS8, but has a built-in amp and speakers. I would be very happy if the rumour about Alesis was wrong. I still want to buy the Sanctuary Q-Card. I heard the rumour from a Yamaha dealer that was never happy with the fact that we bought the Alesis. I just thought it had the best sounding piano sound from a digital instrument. Yamahas and Rolands never did it for me at any price. The only digital I have ever played that I think sounds better than our QS8 is the Technics stage piano.

#661058 - 07/05/01 10:41 PM Re: Baldwin Pianovelle RP90
toddthepianoguy Offline

Hi,

I recently tried out a Kurzweil K2600. Very impressive! One of the best piano sounds I've heard out of a synth. It's also very portable and Kurzweil makes one of the best feeling keyboards as well in my opinion. When I tried it I was actually looking for a Kurzweil PC88, it's been kind of an industry standard for a while as I understand, but I couldn't find one. Maybe they've been replaced by the 2500 and 2600 series.

Have fun,
Todd

#661059 - 07/07/01 05:32 PM Re: Baldwin Pianovelle RP90
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
I have a Technnics sX-Px226 which I purchased for some of the same reasons. Headphones save wear and tear on others in the house and make me a bit less self-conscience. Line-out makes recording and editing on computer wav programe very easy and MIDI in/out hooks well with transcription programs such as Coda's Allegro or Cakewalk. I had looked at Korgs and Kerzweills but stumbled on the Technics at a good discount and it has worked well for me. It is SEMI-Portable, in that 2 people can carry it up stairs and put it in back seat of decent sized car, but I wouldn't want to move it very often. I've been happy with feel and responce, but haven't had a lot of experience with other electronic keyboards except Kurzweills. The price 2 years ago was about $1700. I DID play some of the Baldwins and liked them, but I thought they were a bit bulkier (physical size) and I ended up with the Technices for a lower price. One note, the HEADPHONE sound is very good (depending on headphone, of course) but the SPEAKER sound on the Techniques is a little weak, or tinny sounding, not as rich as it could be.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Unison detuning?
by Beemer
09/20/14 06:54 AM
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
09/20/14 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
09/19/14 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
09/19/14 07:34 PM
Who's Online
93 registered (aesop, AliAlkhiro, acortot, 30 invisible), 1126 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157638 Topics
2315459 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission