2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
chattie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I am looking for a "very" affordable digital piano (under $2000, preferably way lower). My problem with most of the stage/portable ones is that I don't like the detachable pedal. With built in pedals, the price goes up quite a bit. I stumble across the casio AP line and was wondering if they are okay in terms of feel and sound. I've taken piano lessons ever since I was a child on a upright acoustic and later a baby grand. I don't need everything to be superb, but I do need it to feel at least average. What's your thought on the Casio AP line?

Well, this is a very personal preference topic, so you have to try them out yourself. Casio's are not very good when it comes to piano. They are not full and rich, the action is pretty dead and springy. This is just my opinion, so you really need to go try them out yourself.

Do I recomend them: No

Regards,
p120mAn

www.newenglandmusic.biz.ly

The Yamaha P120 is da bomb! It rocks! It is superb, fantastic, awesome!

*Yamaha P120 Stage Piano*Yamaha CS1X Synthesizer
K
K
Hey there,
Casio AP line has excellent graded hammer action keys which is almost identical to acoustic one. I guess it is the outstanding feature over other brands. I gonna get AP 38 which has stereo grand piano sample and sounds. The other two are mono digital pianos.
Don't get Yamaha P120.. I don't recommend that .
Springy artificial action keys. And you have to buy a stand and a bunch of pedals too. Only advantage is that more sounds and portability. As you might guess, many in this forum are Yammy funs so I tried out Yammy pianos alot. But glad I did not buy any of those Yammys. My first choice would be Roland MP60. The next choice is Casio AP38.
Good luck ..

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I guarantee that Casio does not make their own actions. They probably buy them from Yamaha or Fatar. I'm glad Kenpcola likes the action on his Casio, but it's hardly the best action out there.

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
K
K
ummm...
I am not sure Casio has to "buy" that key action.
I don't think it is a rocket science. Seem like it is just an artistic recreation of piano action by someone without using any spring in the assembly.
(that may be why it is very close to real piano action).And I do appreciate that artistic skill. both Yamaha and Fartar key actions are not that good to my taste.
Here I am refering to the original post regarding very good graded hammer action digital piano which is affordable... not a preference or defamation to a specific brand.

C
chattie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Kenpcola mentioned that there's a difference between stereo grand piano sample vs. mono digital piano sample? What exactly is that? And how much quality difference are we talking about here?

A friend of mine has a Yamaha, am I don't like the action. I do like the Rolands a lot when I tried them at the store. But the Casio prices are just so attractive. And my preference is a home piano not a stage piano.

K
K
AP38 has 64 voice polyphony. It has stereo samples grand piano voices as well as mono voices(grand piano 2, bass, etc.) When you play stereo sampled grand piano, it has 32 notes polyphony since each note gonna take 2 voices(left and right channel). With mono voices, you will have 64 notes polyphony.
The other models have 32 voice polyphony . All voices gonna have 32 notes(meaning piano keys) polyphony only. Seem like no one has 32 fingers but it gonna make different when you layers 2 voices and press down sustain and play many notes since you goona have notes drop/cutoff. For average playing it is not that significant.
Difference is the closeness to realism regarding stereo sampled sounds especially when you listen with headphones.
Hope this help.

C
chattie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I finally settled for a Casio AP-33. It is a very good piano for the price I'm getting. It's actually better than I've hoped. Both the sound and the action performed well. For the price I got it at, I'm a happy camper.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission