Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
138 registered (Anita Potter, anotherscott, accordeur, 39 invisible), 1664 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#661168 - 08/25/04 02:16 PM Recommended Accessories For P90
sucellus Offline

Well, I have pretty much decided on the Yamaha P90.

This does not come with a stand, correct? What stand would you recomend?

What speakers would you recomend in the $150-$300 range?

If I want to connect this to a computer what equipment will I need?

Are there any other accessories we might want that I haven't covered?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#661169 - 08/26/04 08:47 AM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
sucellus Offline

How about just a recomendation for an amp?

#661170 - 08/26/04 10:43 AM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
JimM Offline

Loc: Northern California
Stand - I like the Z-shaped stands, more stable than the fold-up X stands. Not as portable, though

Connect to computer - you need a midi interface. Lots available, some fairly inexpensive. They connect to the USB or parallel ports on your computer.

Speaker/amp - the single best thing you can do for your keyboard IMHO. I use an inexpensive stereo receiver/amplifier, 100 watts/channel is more than enough and any of many models will be fine, buy what's on sale. Bonus is you can listen to the radio when you aren't playing! Small bookshelf speakers work well, I use the little Bose 2-ways but many others would work as well. If you only want to listen to yourself you could use inexpensive powered monitor speakers, but you have to sit in their "sweet spot"

#661171 - 08/26/04 12:57 PM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
sucellus Offline

could I just plug some standard powered computer speakers into it?

#661172 - 08/26/04 02:19 PM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
JimM Offline

Loc: Northern California
Probably, if the impedences match. Wouldn't sound very good though, certainly not as good as the piano can do. If you try it, turn the piano and speaker volumes way down at first to minimize the risk of blowing anything up.

#661173 - 08/26/04 09:51 PM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

the greatest board...

#661174 - 08/27/04 05:31 AM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
sucellus Offline

lol.

The people at Harmony Central are trying to convince me to get the p250. I just don't know if I can afford it though.

#661175 - 08/27/04 06:02 AM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
 Quote:
Originally posted by rintincop:
A wrist brace and some Advil anti-inflamatory. It's action is heavy and if you play fast it's like sprinting in heavy hiking boots. [/b]
I have never played an electric piano with a heavy action and I've played many models over the last 30 years. (The Fender Rhodes may have been unresponsive but certainly not heavy.) I think some of you guys should spend a little more time playing all kinds of acoustic pianos and your remarks regarding 'heavy' might change.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#661176 - 08/27/04 09:28 AM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

dbl post

#661177 - 08/27/04 09:42 AM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
 Quote:
I have never played an electric piano with a heavy action and I've played many models over the last 30 years. (The Fender Rhodes may have been unresponsive but certainly not heavy.) I think some of you guys should spend a little more time playing all kinds of acoustic pianos and your remarks regarding 'heavy' might change.
Ever played the Yamaha KX88? Heavy, unresponsive, and sluggish are words that come to mind. Even my Roland A90EX was a little on the heavy side. And the Fender Rhodes? unresponsive? Yes. Heavy? Absolutely!

#661178 - 08/27/04 11:56 AM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Jesus H. Christ, if I want to play a little louder when playing an electric piano, I just up the volume control. If you work four hours on an unresponsive acoustic upright or grand you have nowhere to go. I've played all kinds of electric pianos (though not a KX88) and nothing compares to an unresponsive acoustic piano. Sorry guys, this sounds like whining.

(Without going into a lecture on how to play with the least amount of effort, if your _top_ forearm muscle gets tense while playing and you have to shake our your arms, you are using the wrong set of muscles. BTW, I love playing jobs using an electric piano as I can always rely on the sound system if worse comes to worse.)

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#661179 - 08/27/04 01:44 PM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Dave, don't you think your response is a little out of line?

#661180 - 08/28/04 07:38 AM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveY:
Dave, don't you think your response is a little out of line? [/b]
Perhaps. Was it the JHC remark?

If it's the rest of what I wrote, I don't so.

The actions of electric pianos are light compared to acoustic pianos (especially poorly maintained grands); additionally, with an electric piano you can simply turn up the volume control and still play as lightly as you want.

Also, I really would not be surprised if _many_ players play with much more than the least amount of effort needed. I mentioned the tension in the top forearm muscle as a definite sign that incorrect muscles are being used.

Almost without exception every new student who comes to me for lessons or coaching or general advice, plays with bad habits. Some of these students are music majors at the university level. I assume nothing and I, rather than blame the equipment, would first look at the player to see what is being done incorrectly.

On top of all of that, I felt that the poster was whining and I responded in turn.

Shall we have a group hug. :>)

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#661181 - 08/28/04 11:10 PM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
RandomThoughts Offline

Loc: Canada
Group hug: agreed. civility is always so nice!

There's no doubt that the Yamaha's have a heavier touch that some dislike. I play mine with the volume turned down sometimes and enjoy playing with greater vigour and also play with it at normal volume with regular weight.

My (sigh... poorly maintained) grand is heavier, like Dave said.

My under-forearm (right side) gets a bit fatigued, but it doesn't hurt.

If secellus has tried and likes a P90, then I think it's a fine choice. (I don't have one.) Several people have recommended Yamaha monitors, so maybe do a search for those on the forums.

#661182 - 08/29/04 12:48 AM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

RandomThoughts, if your _under_forearm muscle gets fatigued you are probably playing correctly but just over doing it. It's the _top_forearm muscle that is involved when the player plays just from his hand instead of including the entire arm and shoulders.

(As an aside, I really never assume any of this information as several of my organ teachers in high school _and_ college never discussed proper technique. When I was 21 or so I bought a piano and started playing both piano and organ and now it's exclusively the piano.

I'm extremely aware of all of this as I was a hot shot jazz/pop player who at the age of 28 sought out advice from a concert pianist on how to improve my technique and it was a depressing eye opener for me. I had to start over from the beginning and I never forgot that. I can now easily demonstrate both ways of playing with all of the little self tests that go along with them. My point - I usually assign blame to the player and not to the instrument.)

OK, group hug over.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#661183 - 08/29/04 01:47 PM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
helenh Offline

Loc: Rangoon, Burma
Dave, I would be really interested in hearing more about adjusting technique so that I don't get the symptoms you mention. I'm sure I have the technique problems you speak of. Is there anything on the web you would recommend? I am an intermediate level amateur and I don't play fast. Maybe I could if my technique was better!

#661184 - 08/29/04 02:01 PM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Helen, the best way to study correct technique is to study with someone who concertizes for a living and who is affiliated with a music college. You could still land a bad teacher but the odds will be more in your favor.

You really need someone to stand next to you and give you one on one advice. Spend some money and take a few lessons from someone who is qualified. There are no short cuts.

Look, if you were to play golf, you'd study with a pro to learn how to swing the club with the least amount of effort, right? Well, the same thing applies here - seek out a qualified teacher.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#661185 - 08/29/04 02:20 PM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
paulschwarz Offline

as for speakers, I had the Yamaha YST-MS50 (Black) They do a great job at the price. You can get them new for around 100.00 or on ebay for even cheaper. They also make them white so beware of that.

I had these on my P80 which is alot like your p90 and they sounded good for the cash, plus you can run your computer through them too. You will need a Y cable from Radio shack to get this hooked to your setup.

If you want to spend more I would look at M-Audio.. I had those too and they were nice.

#661186 - 08/29/04 06:07 PM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
Lightnin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by paulschwarz:
as for speakers, I had the Yamaha YST-MS50 (Black) They do a great job at the price. [/b]
I also use those on my P90, and they seem fine to me. I'm very pleased with them for home/practice purposes. I think these speakers were discontinued, I got them in close out, plus Yamaha was offering a $25 rebate at that time (Jan 2004), so my total cost was about $30. They are waaaay better than that

I just plug them into the headphone jack, and for convenience, then when I use headphones, I plug the headphones into the speaker sitting on the keyboard, which disables the speakers.

#661187 - 09/02/04 11:58 AM Re: Recommended Accessories For P90
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
 Quote:
Originally posted by sucellus:
Well, I have pretty much decided on the Yamaha P90.

This does not come with a stand, correct? What stand would you recomend? [/b]
Many retailers offer a free stand with the P90. For example, eMusicGear includes the Yamaha YKA7000 stand with the P90 all for $995. That's where I bought my P90 and it's what I have.

http://www.emusicgear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=P90

Another retailer I saw has a stand, chair, and heaphones for this price, but they were inferior quality. I have no problems with the Yamaha stand, but I use it in the lowest position seated. It's actually quite stable. Don't know how it would be at it's highest position if you were banging on it hard playing live Jerry Lee Lewis, though.

As for speakers, I only use headphones when playing this keyboard. But they also sell the YST-MS50B that others here use for $80.

http://www.emusicgear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=YSTMS50B

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
country style piano
by seniormoment
12/21/14 12:42 PM
Forum Stats
77387 Members
42 Forums
160042 Topics
2350214 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission