Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#661456 - 12/19/04 01:42 PM roland rd 170 for me?
keyman27 Offline

Loc: NY
Hi. I'm new to the forum and relatively new to piano/keyboard.
I've been playing and self learning for about 3 years now. I'm looking for a keyboard with realistic piano action, but something that will also make a good synth.
Basically I need somthing for my studio apartment to replace my yamaha dgx202 (dont laugh).
I have been using the dgx to practice wit ha friends band.
I am first starting to take whatever skills I have and put myself out there (playing and recording with others and so on...and people have been responding well to my playing)
I like the prospect of being able to practice/ take regular jazz lessons/ learn midi/ and eventually gig on this board. (but ive heard very mixed things about the action.
Lastly- My only other real consideration is to save money and go with the casio px100.

I wonder if this decision would be more prudent, being as I am not a professional, am still learning, so perhaps I shouldn't pay double the price on the fancy shmancy roland.
ANY and ALL infromation and advice would be So much apreciated from anyone who knows about the roland or the casio or whom has been in a similar situation. Thanks guys.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#661457 - 12/19/04 03:05 PM Re: roland rd 170 for me?
ProPianoGuyBC Offline

Hi keyman.
The RD170 is great a live and studio digi piano you do need a speaker system for it though. I have an FP-5 (Roland) at home right now for a test drive, IT IS A VERY VERY NICE UNIT! Built in speakers for just playin at home. Great action and sound, worth a look! The RD-170 has been a live favorite of mine too though. I am never disappointed to play on one when the opportunity presents itself. As far as whether its worth it.....Only you can determine that.

#661458 - 12/19/04 11:00 PM Re: roland rd 170 for me?
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think the FP5 has a much better piano sound than the RD170.

#661459 - 12/19/04 11:23 PM Re: roland rd 170 for me?
ProPianoGuyBC Offline

In ways I agree with rintincop but the type of Roland piano you look at should depend on your goal for that piano.
The RD series is designed for live and studio work specifically. The Piano sound may not be as acoustically pleasing in a solo environment but sits very well in a mix...
The FP series is designed more with the home player in mind, therefore the piano sound is more acoustically pleasing to the ear. The FP makes a great live/studio piano as well though. It all depends on your taste. Try them both and let your ears be the judge.
The FP's have built in speakers for use at home but plug either the RD or FP series into external speakers and the sound will be great!
Like I said only you can be the judge. SO try them both and let your ears be the ultimate guide as to what you want out of your piano. Just try to remember your ultimate purpose for the Piano. (Home playing? Live use? Studio/Recording?) then look at the comments made above to help in your final decision!
My 2 Cents
ProPIano

#661460 - 12/20/04 06:36 AM Re: roland rd 170 for me?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
As ProPiano said, the RD series is designed/marketed by Roland's professional division while the FP series is designed/marketed by Roland's consumer keyboard division. However, that shouldn't sway anyone's decision. The RD170 isn't exactly a "pro" product. It's more of a "prosumer" keyboard. If you read ProPiano's posts, it sounds like if you're not going to be using the RD170 for "live" or "studio" work, that you have no business buying it. Don't worry about labels. Play both (and everything else too). Buy what makes you happy.

#661461 - 12/20/04 08:38 AM Re: roland rd 170 for me?
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Regardless of marketing labels , I personaly wouldn't use the RD170 live or in a 'studio' because of its unpleasant Grand Piano 1 sound and its bad Rhodes. I would use a FP5 for live or 'studio' use.

#661462 - 12/20/04 10:30 AM Re: roland rd 170 for me?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

FWIW, I wouldn't use either one.

#661463 - 12/20/04 02:26 PM Re: roland rd 170 for me?
keyman27 Offline

Loc: NY
basically, the idea is that I can't go over a thousand buck (US). I apreciate the insight on the foland fp series, but even the fp 2 is too pricey for me right now, let alone the fp 5
so basically the 170 is the highest i can goright now

how does the rd 170 hold up against the casio privia 100 in terms of action and sound?
(I know everyone hatsthe casio rep. but lets try to put that aside given the new models are a new turn)
I havnt been able to try an rd 170 yet but i still have a feeling that asides from all extra midia capabilities it has, that it also had superior sound and action that makes it 3- 4 hunderd bucks more valuable than the casio.

So
In sound and action alone, has anyone been able to compare the 10 vs the privia?

Thanks again everyone for or your insight

#661464 - 12/20/04 07:30 PM Re: roland rd 170 for me?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Roland makes musical instruments. Casio makes watches & toys.

#661465 - 12/20/04 10:50 PM Re: roland rd 170 for me?
ProPianoGuyBC Offline

Almost 1000 posts Steve!
That one ranks up there as one of my favorites from you!

#661466 - 12/21/04 05:01 AM Re: roland rd 170 for me?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Do I win something if I hit 1000?

#661467 - 12/21/04 12:13 PM Re: roland rd 170 for me?
ProPianoGuyBC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveY:
Do I win something if I hit 1000? [/b]
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm........
I don't know but if you do, let me know ok?
:p
ProPiano

#661468 - 12/27/04 06:17 PM Re: roland rd 170 for me?
Hen3ry Offline

Loc: Longmont, Colorado
I'm in the market for a keyboard - digital piano to supplement my acoustic - for late night practice and portability.

I'm presently looking at the Rolands. A lot has been added above but I have one question. Are the actions the same in the RD-170 and the FP-2? If not, does anyone know the difference? I hope to "test" them tomorrow (if I can locate them) as the local dealer did not have an FP-2 on the floor.

Thank you,

Kevin

#661469 - 12/28/04 10:54 AM Re: roland rd 170 for me?
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

They are all toys and pretty crappy ones. Wait until January for new improved models.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Who's Online
131 registered (anamnesis, 36251, ajames, accordeur, 33 invisible), 1573 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158401 Topics
2326130 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission