2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
swc Offline OP
OP Offline
S
i am trying to decide on whether to buy a full blown music workstation (motif, triton, fantom), or opting for a nice midi controller with a bunch of software. Is there any reason to pay $3000+ for the Workstation when you could very well get a midi controller and software for your computer for a lot less? If midi is the way to go, could anyone recommemend the most piano like midi controller? i would appreciate all feedback or suggestions. BTW. I already own Cubase, came free with an inspire sound module. confused .

M
M
I had similar thoughts as well, and what I see that the workstations would be great for live performances as they pads and knobs are so easily accessible to achieve the desired effects since they have all been preprogrammed. But of course, these can also be done from a computer and software, but have to be done painfully beforehand by yourself.
This would be similar to those digital pianos that have all the bells and whistles with full auto accompaniment styles on the Yamaha CVP against the CLP series. Using some softwares, like Band in a Box would probably make the CLP have some capability of "accompaniment", but that would need quite some efforts to be able to make sound identical to CVP.
So I guess, it's whether you need to perform your music live or not , and that you are able to get some very good softwares to be able to make the midi controllers simulate exactly the knobs/pads on the workstation.
The other thing would be whether you move around or not. A workstation is a all in one, while the other setup would be at least a keyboard, controller and computer with all the midi cables connecting them.

H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
I didn't think the Inspire had midi. You might need to upgrade to a Firebox. Which would also get you spidif which might be handy.

Howard

P
P
I purchased an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 midi controller and i´m very happy with it, i play an acoustic every week in class and i think it gets very close to the real thing. On top of that i bealive the price-quality ratio is amazing, you should get it there for less than 500 dollares, of course it has to be conected
to the pc and needs sotware.

So here is what i think should tip the scale,if you produce or have any desire of producing music in the future, a midi controller is your thing, softwares like Cubase, Reason or Live are a Pc Composer best friends.

If you plan to do live gigs, than a workstation is better i´d say, it is less complex to set up and more realiable.

But do check out the KeyPro.
Good luck!

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=midikeyboardcontrollers

...everything is everywere and does not stop...
S
swc Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have heard quite a bit about the m-audio. It is USB right? Any issues with latency? I will definitely check it out. Are the keys weighted? I am not sure what "hammer-action" means.

I use the Inspire for mic for the piano and guitar.

P
P
It is USB certified, just plug in and it´s done, about the latency i forgot, if your PC does not have a soundcard with minimaly decent ASIO drivers, then latency will be a problem.

I have the keyboard atached to my Laptop (laptops have bad sound cards) so i had to get an external soundmodule.

Ended up buying m.audio fasttrack USB, the most low cost solution, it´s not the most professional of equipments but suits my needs, (i record guitar as well) they have a lot of other options tough. For more money of course..

Hammer Action, means..well..the simulation of the effect of the acoustic piano hammer on the key, basicaly it means the key (like a piano) does not have a linear response to pressure like standart digital keyboards do, if you press it will start out hard and gradually get softer as it reaches full press.

Not the easiest thing to explain, it´s a piano simulation related term, it´s there to tell you that the keyboard does a good job replicating a piano.

...everything is everywere and does not stop...
I personally use the MIDI route, using a Casio PX110 for piano modules and a CME UF5 for all other sounds. Hooked up with Cubase and libraries like the Grand, personal Orchestra, Jazz&Big Band and Absynth. It allows, IMHO, a vastly more personalized setup although it won't really be that much cheaper in the end as good libraries ain't cheap.

Simplified definition of hammer-action: keys about as heavy as a real piano compared to the light touch of keybords. Graded hammer action means the bass side is heavier then the treble.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission