2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
As the soon to be proud owner of a Yamaha CLP-280 (to be delivered on the same truck as a 214CS Bösendorfer smile ), I will soon need to invest in some good quality headphones. Given that the main purpose of the Clavinova is for silent practice in the early mornings and at night-time, whilst other members of the family are trying to stay asleep or get to sleep, I am asking the question about how loud is the noise that escapes from open headphones.

Our house (a converted barn) is exceptionally open-plan; the kids have doors on their bedrooms on the second floor, (as do all the bathrooms!), but my wife and I have the entire third floor as our bedroom. Each floor is linked by open tread-only wooden-staircases. We live in a small village where there is very little traffic and at night one can hear the sound of cowbells from quite a few miles away (yes, this is Switzerland...), so even the slightest faint noise inside the house is quite apparent. If the television is on (even only very quietly) on the ground floor it is still quite audible in our "bedroom" two floors up. Probably the sound of the keyboard action itself will be heard from downstairs, but I would like to avoid a tinkling piano sound as well if possible. And if Schumann's Faschingsschwank aus Wien is on the menu, that is hardly that tinkly either smile .

So should I invest in two pairs, one open for during the day/evening when any sound leakage will not be too intrusive, but at least I will still hear the phone ring or people trying to attract my attention, and another closed pair for really 'silent' practice in the dead of night or crack of dawn?

The company where I work is a Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic reseller. I can place orders at trade price for these manufacturers, so any specific model recommendations for those makes would be of interest. I currently use a pair of Sennheiser HD25SP for listening at the PC, which also get used by my kids for video games, watching TV, etc.

Any info/advice greatly appreciated,

Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
PoSt,

Senn's open-dynamic 'phones circle the ear, for comfort during extended play. Their HD 580's were/are a recording studio staple. The current equivalent is the HD 600.

I don't know Beyer..., I do know that you will not be disappointed with top-of-the-line Senns.

Any chance that you can A/B them at work?

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
FogVL:
Any chance that you can A/B them at work?
The only ones we stock are those popular in video production, (we are primarily involved with broadcast video equipment), so things like the HD25 and HD25SP for listening only and Beyerdynamic DT109 (which is a headset with microphone for cameraman talkback.) I might go and find a local hi-fi outlet and see if I can test out some models.

I am still interested to know how audible a digital piano (being played reasonably 'enthusiastically') would be with open headphones, assuming a pretty much otherwise silent environment...

Cheers for now,

Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
The HD25SP's you already have (got a pair myself) are pretty decent and comfortable closed back headphones. I also have the pro version of them which features a titanium split-top headband that provides even better performance and isolation. I prefer these but some find their tighter grip less comfortable considering their small can size. I hear the HD250's also have very good isolation and performance but are somewhat more comfortable with their larger around-the-ear cans.

Got to agree with Fog... its hard to go wrong with any of the high end open backed Senns. Just a question of how much ultrasonic frequency response you want to pay for.

Howard

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
You can get Beyerdynamic DT 880 quite inexpensively (as opposed to what they normally cost) at http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

The ones that cost $210. They are semi-open, sound great once you've driven them in, and leak well enough, but not over the other sounds you make by playing the digital piano, I imagine (i.e. the sounds of the keys after you've released them).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not familiar with these earphones, but I think that if you have them within an inch or so of your ear and it can be heard two floors up, you are probably damaging your ears.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
PoSt,

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=sennheiser+Hd+580&category0=

Not sure what $150 is in real money, but these are excellent 'phones, and the price is right, even in play money.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
PoSt,

Missed the part about audibility. Essentially zero, tho you will still be able to hear much of the noise that others are making;-) The reason is because the diaphrams are so close to your ears. I just did test this with the 580's.

FYI, I have CLP 170 and closed design headphone.

However, I don't think open or closed headphone will make much difference in your case, becasue you plunking away on the keys will sound much louder (and more annoying) then the sound coming out of your headphone.

Do you think your family can hear you typing away on a computer keyboard from downstiars? CLP280 keys will make more noise, if you are playing a lot of notes at forte. (not as high pitched noise as computer keyboard, but louder)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Michael:

I am a CLP280 owner and have purchased the Sennheiser HD595 phones. I enjoy them very much. I did try some other models and brands but, of course I couldn't try them all!

The open design (as johnny boy observes) does not really "leak" much sound compared to the keyboard mechanical sounds during "silent" play.
I use them frequently late at night with no complaints.

The HD595 are very comfortable, have a single sided cord which is on the same side as you plug into the CLP280 and the standard plug is the 1/4 inch (large) size which plugs into the piano with no adapter.

Phil
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for all your the replies.

Having looked around and read some other reviews as well, I think I will go for the HD595, like Phil. I like the idea of a single-sided cord, and as has been mentioned, the clunking of the keys will be more audible that the sound leakage due to an open design.

Best regards,

- Michael B.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
UPDATE:

It would appear that our Sennheiser rep is arriving with some demo HD650 (tippety-top audiophile) cans next week, which I can keep for a few weeks to try out. I don't yet know the discount I'll get from the list price for a new pair of these, but the guy told me it would be a deal I couldn't refuse smile .

- Michael B.

tm3 Offline
michael you can find more than you ever wanted to know about headphones at

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=2

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
tm3, thanks for the link. I'll have a browse around there before making any firm decisions.

- Michael B.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I now have the HD650 demo headphones, but my CLP-280 was delivered from Yamaha Europe to the dealer in Bern only this afternoon, and their truck is booked up until Wednesday next week at the earliest. frown .

- Michael B.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Soon , Michael! wink

Phil
P
P
Anyone know about Equation Audio RS20 phones? They sounded VERY impressive to my ears.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission