Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#662302 - 12/21/04 09:48 AM Difference in features. How big factor...
mxs Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
o.k. lets' say I have tried pianos I am looking at before I make a decision which one I will end up purchasing. In my case it would be PF500 and YDP223.

Now some of you will say he is comparing apples and pears. But let's say they feel the same to me and they sound similar as well. Forget the portability factor as it's not important to me at all.

What would be the next spec to watch when buying digital piano. Polyphony number could be an example (but maybe it's not that important indicator). Between these two pianos it's 64 against 128, but the problem for me is when do I notice the difference considering I am beginner playing at home and that will not change for years to come (I hope I will step up to intermediate one day of course :-) ...)

If somebody could list in order what should be important features to watch and why, leaving out the subjective ones like sound and keys.

Thanks

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#662303 - 12/21/04 10:49 AM Re: Difference in features. How big factor...
Kenpcola Offline

Loc: Pensacola, FL
I would choose YDP223.
First, the price difference.
Second, keys action is more realistic and responsive at YDP. More responsive to pressure than PF. It is a point for beginner player if you decided to play acoustic one someday.
Third, Being in faked wood cabinet, YDP has better acoustic element(like your home speakers) compared to PF..which is in plastic case.
Fourth, YDP compliment home decor and setup since it has its own cover and attitude.
Polyphony is not an issue for both machine.
I tried very hard to hear notes drop on YDP223 before and , guess what, never heard one yet. Of course, when 2 people banging on all the keys with sustain pedals on.. maybe. Question is.. how often would you do things like this?
The bottom line is the price. Expensive one has more options and features.
This comparison between Ydp and PF is not really a good one though.It is like comparing Lincoln town car and Crown Victoria.

#662304 - 12/21/04 11:10 AM Re: Difference in features. How big factor...
FUNNYDOGNV Offline

Loc: NV USA
YDP223 is essentially a CLP120, while the PF500 is basically a CLP150 in a contemporary box. That makes it easier to compare the two. They both have the same keyboard so the "key feel" is probably not that different. I think the main difference in sound is PF500 has dynamic sampling while YDP223 doesn't.

IMHO, I think it depends on how much you think you'll progress in a few years. Do you plan to have a beginner piano now, and upgrade to a better one, _if_ and when you can hear the difference, or get a better piano that is less likely to grow out of and be done with it. Each option has its pros and cons. On the other hand, the subtle tonal difference from the dynamic sampling, noticeable as it may be, might not be that important to you down the road.

I think one useful feature for beginners on the PF500 is if you're learning through a textbook with available midi files, you can listen to the files on the piano and hear how a piece is supposed to sound, and try to emulate the "right" sound. It reduces the workload for my teacher on correcting wrong notes and expressions and we can concentrate more on the techniques, etc. You can have YDP223 to play the files through the midi jacks but it's less convenient than if all the pieces are already saved in memory, as in PF500.

Just my humble opinion.

#662305 - 12/21/04 12:03 PM Re: Difference in features. How big factor...
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
if you spend about the same amount of money for either, then choose the best you can buy - PF500 in this case. the funiture look is not important on a digital, although both look fine to me, but the feel and features are important. i pretty much like the key action on PF500, and feel even better to play on an accoustic piano after playing PF500 for a while. i wouldn't hesitate to get a PF500 if i were you.

#662306 - 12/21/04 12:20 PM Re: Difference in features. How big factor...
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
mxs,

Not necessarily in order of importance:

1) Keyboard feel (Both are GH and use the exact same mechanism)

2) Quality of samples (layers, size, looping, compression, etc.). (Definately better on the PF500)

3) Polyphony (especially important as you begin to layer sounds such as piano and strings) Definately better on the PF500

4) Amplification and Speakers (Better on the PF500)

5) Number of preset voices (PF500 has the entire XG sound set so better again)

6) Computer connectivity (Both have MIDI jacks but the PF500 also offers USB for easier connectivity)

7) Internal sequencer for recording your performances (2 Tracks on the YDP223 and 16 tracks on PF500. 2 tracks are enough for solo piano but if you layer instruments or perform pieces for 4 hands then PF500 winds hands down.)

8) Quantity/Quality of effects to modify the sounds to your liking. (You guessed it.... PF500 wins again.)

Both are fine instruments, but the PF500 is heads and shoulders above the YDP-223.

Hope this helps,

Rodney

#662307 - 12/22/04 06:35 AM Re: Difference in features. How big factor...
mxs Offline

Thanks to all of you for great opinions. Everybody seems to add a different angle to the discussion.

I will admit that I do like the cabinet styling of YDP much better. This seems to be the only advantage of YDP. I also thought that thanks to the cabinet styling I would get better amplification and sound depth out of YDP. Is that the case or will PF eventhough not in fully encased wood cabinet still produce a better amplification?

What if I am willing to look outside of Yamaha window. Is there a piano for the same money (or less :-)) as PF500, but in full cabinet styling. Casio is out of question........

Thanks again

#662308 - 12/22/04 06:36 AM Re: Difference in features. How big factor...
mxs Offline

Thanks to all of you for great opinions. Everybody seems to add a different angle to the discussion.

I will admit that I do like the cabinet styling of YDP much better. This seems to be the only advantage of YDP. I also thought that thanks to the cabinet styling I would get better amplification and sound depth out of YDP. Is that the case or will PF eventhough not in fully encased wood cabinet still produce a better amplification?

What if I am willing to look outside the Yamaha window. Is there a piano for the same money (or less :-)) as PF500(the same class, similar features), but in full cabinet styling. Casio is out of question........

Thanks again

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
Today at 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Who's Online
106 registered (Anne'sson, anotherscott, accordeur, 36251, 32 invisible), 1438 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76651 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327533 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission