Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
124 registered (ajames, accordeur, ando, AmateurBob, A Guy, 33 invisible), 1790 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#662764 - 05/16/03 01:13 AM MIDI musings
Razvan Offline

I spent some time tonight reading about MIDI and sequencers and the amount of information available out there is pretty overwhelming. \:\)

I am looking at getting a digital piano (Yamaha P120) and would like to do the following:

1. Hook it up to a laptop using a MIDI <-> USB interface (the laptop has no MIDI ports)
2. Have the laptop record what I play on the piano (using a MIDI sequencer) and produce a .MID file
3. Have the laptop playback a .MID either through the piano or through the laptop speakers
4. Have the laptop play the MIDI data coming from the piano in "realtime"
5. Use different soundfonts on the laptop (for example, get a better "grand piano" soundfont than the one that the piano comes with)

This seems like it should all be feasible, but I am confused by the bewildering availability of hardware and/or software offerings for something like this.

Does the setup above sound feasible? Do I need a fancy soundcard on the laptop to be able to use a MIDI sequencer and/or soundfonts? Does the laptop need to have a powerful CPU (I have PIII 600Mhz right now)? Can the laptop play MIDI data coming from the piano in realtime, or does it need to store it in a .MID file first, then play it?

Thanks in advance,

Razvan.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#662765 - 05/16/03 07:38 PM Re: MIDI musings
Craig S Offline

Loc: Wyoming
I am not a midi expert so I may tell you things that you already know or things that may be incorrect. With that said I will wade in anyway with my understanding of midi.

I use a Roland KR577 and I assume for midi purposes that it is similar to your Yamaha. The digital piano creates a midi file. It can be sent to a computer. It can be manipulated on the computer in all kinds of ways with software programs such as Cakewalk, in fact Cakewalk can be used to create midi files in a composing manner.

Now to turn the file into sound the file has to be sent from the computer and run through some sort of a midi output device. This can be midi capabilities on the motherboard built in sound (usually poor midi capability), a seperate sound card with midi capabilities (better but probably not as good as your yamaha), a midi sound module (good ones are pricey), or run it through packaged software then out through your sound card and speaker system.

In order to have something that you can play on a CD player, the midi file needs to be run through some sort of sound module and then back into the computer as an audio signal in order to get a wav file or some other type of audio file.

A digital piano can be used as the output divice. This will give the sound samples from that piano. If you want different samples they have to come from either software packages or other sound modules.

You should be able to send a midi signal from your keyboard to another sound module and get a different sample. The module will require a sound system in order to hear it or you could run the audio signal to your computer as an audio file.

Real time may present some lag problems if things get to complex or if cables are long.

Practically anything is possable but in order to get quality audio it may be a spendy project.

No piano industry association. Amateur interests in playing and technical aspects of piano.

#662766 - 05/22/03 12:32 PM Re: MIDI musings
LorenzoGonzalez Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
It's definitely feasible, but you may find that your laptop is disappointing as a sound module, if you try to push it too far. The "sound fonts" (a specific technology that you may or may not use) require special software to play back, or a soundcard (with accompanying software) that specifically supports them. 600MHz isn't so bad, but you will want as much memory as possible if you plan to load several or very large samples into memory for realtime play. Unfortunately, there is no way the laptop hard drive is fast enough to stream the big, beautiful software samples off disk. Probably limited, but still better than your in-built sounds on a low-end digital piano.

The USB midi interfaces are not so bad, and not terribly expensive (relatively). I have a cheap Edirol USB unit, and the lag is okay, but I haven't tried it with Kontakt (or Gigastudio, which I don't own), as I have a desktop that handles those heavier chores (with PCI soundcard).

Unfortunately I've never heard a soundfont yet that was actually better than my Yamaha and Roland pianos. But once you hear the Post samples for Giga/Kontakt (for example, there are other great samples) you'll be lusting after the hardware and software to play them.

Oh, and any computer-based sound source (ie. VST or DXi sampler, or soundfonts) can be dumped to CD audio or MP3 without ever leaving the computer, for a convenient and high quality pure-digital recording. If the samples/sound sources are good, this beats an analog path in many ways.

-Lorenzo

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Accelerating learning; iPad, apps, & my digital piano p105
by megabyzus
11/28/14 01:27 PM
A piano is a "value proposition".
by turandot
11/28/14 12:38 PM
How Old should Bass Strings be Before You Replace Them?
by Paul678
11/28/14 11:03 AM
My Blüthner
by joe80
11/28/14 10:30 AM
What to teach before transferring to a jazz teacher
by hreichgott
11/28/14 10:06 AM
Forum Stats
77074 Members
42 Forums
159419 Topics
2341826 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission