2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
OP Offline
A
Well I finally got my MP8 for the second time after UPS messed up the first one in shipping - I then ordered through another company that used a small carrier. I now have a couple questions. Though I've looked around on the forums quite a bit, I'm still a bit confused.

The first question I have is that of monitors. I've read all the threads about them but I'm still not sure. I think I don't want to spend more than $500 max. The Behringers are really well priced but they seem to be quite polarizing (from the reviews on here) so I'll probably avoid them. I'd also prefer to get them locally if possible. This makes my choices the KRK RP-5 and RP-6 (and possibly the RP-8) and the Yamaha HS50m. Are there any other good choices out there? I already have a pair of HD580s but after a while all headphones start to bother my ears.

My other issue is regarding a soundcard for recording and using external sounds like Ivory/Pianoteq in the future. My current plan is to get a laptop (with plenty of memory and storage). Obviously the onboard soundcards of most laptops are pretty bad. I need a low-latency external soundcard (for recording and external sound samples; some sort of interface to plug the monitors and headphones into with volume control would be nice. I'm not looking for anything super high-end, just something that would play external samples nicely and have the ability to record. The Tascam US-122 seems to fit the bill if I'm not mistaken. If it gets the job done, the cheaper the better.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I can't help you on the speakers side of things (I too have the HD580's and love them) however, on the laptop side:
You need to look again at Ivory's website for "recommended system". I think you'll find that a tower desktop PC may be better suited to your needs than the drawbacks of a laptop. For your PC you'll probably need 2-4 Gig of ram and a fast duel core processor. You'll also want a system with two or three (300 gig or larger) fast 10,000 rpm hard disks (sata) arrayed in a raid configuration. Also pay attention to bus speed of your potential PC of choice. Read the recent forum article in PW "Akoustik Piano vs Ivory". This article will give you a good idea as to needed configuration for your PC regarding Ivory.
The internal sound midi interface cards for desktop tower models cost less than external midi soundcard interfaces and are generally faster with lower latency.
I have a Toshiba laptop with two processors which cumulatively add to a combined cpu speed of 3.4 gig. It's an Intel P system with 1.5 gig ram and 500 meg bus speed. I use an external E-MU 1616 midi interface sound card which I'm happy with. I would not even think of trying to run my laptop with Ivory. Garritan Personal Orchestra yes, but not Ivory.
By the way, Pianoteq and True Pianos (modeled systems) run fine on my system but the shallowness in sound of both these piano packages relegates me back to "sampled" software such as Garritan. Judging by the cpu usage of both Pianoteq and True Pianos, I'd guess that we're still five years away from where a "modeled" piano package can compare favorably in sound quality (not however to dynamics) to today's sampled piano packages such as Garritan and Ivory and be run on a $2,500 PC. Hope this helps.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think one of the most important things to look for in small powered monitors is woofer size. You just can't get the balanced bass you need for a good acoustic piano sound with really small woofers and I hate trying to balance an external sub with studio monitors if you're trying to create that singular "sweet spot" on the bench.

My informal rule of thumb for small monitors is: nothing smaller than 6". On that basis alone, I would suggest you consider the larger KRK models you mention.

My first external audio interface was a Tascam US122 and I had nothing but driver headaches with it. And terrible tech support. I currently use the EMU 0404 USB, a USB2.0 interface with 2 channels of analog input, S/PDIF I/O, and balanced line outs as well (a requirement for me). It has been just great.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
F
F
My KRK 6s will arrive late this week or, more likely, early next week. I'll write back with a report.

Hey Charlie,

glad to hear you've finally got your DP. Can't tell you much about software pianos, but I've tried/heard different monitors. The biggest bang for the buck is still the Truths B2031A, and I can testify that these sound very, very good with a Kawai. For little more money (under $400 these days), you can also consider the M-Audio BX8a Studiophiles, the ones I'm presently using. They sound very sweet, perhaps a bit boomier in the bass, not objectionately so, and the highs are very definite, giving you all the harmonics. Lots of headroom, no distortion or noise. Then add maybe another hundred bucks and you have the KRKs in 6" version. Comments on these are positive, but I can't say anything more as I haven't heard them. They enjoy a solid reputation, but I wonder why the Rokits are only about half the price of the corresponding V5s, V6s, V8s. Personally I'd tend to be a little weary of the first octave of bass from a piano for, as you know, lower A's fundamental is 27.5 Hz, so don't expect your DP to sound like a 9 foot grand if your monitors don't deliver that first octave of fundamentals.

If price were no object, I'd immediately go for a pair of Event ASP8s, no need to even test them, just grab 'em and love 'em. They show up on the used market once in a while. So do the Mackie HR824s, whose reputation is rock solid.

Tough choice, eh?

Take care,

Claude

K. Kawai KG-2D grand, Kawai MP8 digital, Kawai CA7
A
OP Offline
A
Here's a question. KRK has two lines (well, actually three, but the third is too expensive) - the RP and V lines. The V is higher quality.

What would be better - the V6 for $300 (6", higher quality) or the RP-8 (8", lower quality) for $250? What's the advantage to one or the other?

Charlie,

I haven't heard either of them, but I often read that with DPs, people are very satisfied with the RPs, which cost about half (size for size) the price of the Vs. What I can more clearly see is that the 8" is very, very desirable if you want some fundamental tone remaining from that first octave on the piano (lower A is 27.5 Hz, you know...).

So, without hesitation, I'd go for the RP-8

Best,
Claude

Don't be fooled by the difference in inch of the woofer, the V6 are a better project overall, I heard V6 and RP8 together and V6s blows out RP8s, they have beautiful medium range, highs that are not tyring, and in the bass range are clearer than RP8s.
Go gor quality speakers, you won't regret it.

Still, I strongly doubt that KRK manufactures any low-quality stuff at all. Many members here own RPs and would dispute that the Vs are worth double the money. It's a very comparable product at a very different price. Some people will pay five grand to get two horsepowers more...

There's a similar issue between Mackie HR824s and Truth B2031As, the latter being an incredibly successful imitation of the former at less than ¼ the price. Everything is not day and night...

All KRK speakers are quality products, ask the owners on this forum.

Cheers,
Claude

F
F
I am really impressed with the KRK RP 6s. I had been playing my DP through my stereo speakers until the studio monitors arrived, and the piano sound disappointed me. Now, however, the piano sound is terrific, since the RP 6s can handle the delicate sounds of a DP. I can't comment on the V line. I'm sure they are fantastic, but the RP line, from what I've read, is perhaps the greatest combination of quality plus price. I paid $400 for my RP 6s, but if you haunt Ebay, you might get lucky and get them for cheaper. A pair of used RP 8s, in good condition, sold for $330.

AE_Charlie is undecided between V6s and RP8s, so where the V6s cost double respect the RP8s?
From zzsounds.com the single RP8 costs 250 dollars while the V6 series 2 costs 300 dollars.
If math is not an opinion it's not the double.

The 100 dollars of difference between V6 and RP8 are justified by the use of better materials for woofer and tweeter(kewlar is way better than glass aramid composite...) and a choice of a better ampli section at the cost of little output power less.
For me this means a better quality project RESPECT the RP8, but I'm absolutely not saying that KRK makes low quality speakers at all.

By the way, I've heard V6s and RP8s side by side and for my ears there's no doubt that V6s sound better in all the audio range.
This is the little (but based on a real experience) contribution I can give to AE_Charlie.
I'm not interested in useless debates.

A
OP Offline
A
I'm interested in the RP6s too... I was just wondering about the tradeoff between the V6 and RP8 since I'm having trouble finding the RP6s locally.

Suryaman

when I was comparing simple to double, I of course referred to RP6s vs V6s, RP8s vs V8s, etc. So don't quote me for saying things I never said. Plus that was a rough comparison based on advertised prices, not on here and there bargains.

I'm not interested in useless debates either.

Regards,

Claude

Charlie asked about V6s compared to RP8s and I gave my precise opinion based on a comparison made side by side.

There's nothing else to say but if you want to speak about the issue between Mackie HR824s and Truth B2031As(??) or totally misunderstand my words in order to contrast my opinion, you can freely do it, you can waste your time as you prefer.

A
OP Offline
A
Would the V6 be better for a smaller apartment? If the RP8 somehow produces a more boomy/filling sound, that wouldn't be good since I don't want to bother the neighbors.

It's disappointing I live in such a big city (Seattle) and the only KRK monitors I can find are the RP5, RP8, and V6. I can find the lower end Yamahas and M-Audios and higher end Mackies, but that's pretty much it. There are a few big online stores based in Seattle but their physical stores don't carry most of the products they sell. I'm really sick of ordering stuff for a while (after the MP8 ordeal) so I'd really prefer to buy locally... but the lack of selection and the fact that I have to pay sales tax is annoying.

F
F
AE_Charlie,

The KRK 6s pack a lot of punch. Sound booms out of the speaker, though the sounds are clean and distinct (no muddling of keys). I'm sure the RP8 is even more powerful, but keep in mind that all the KRKs are pretty solid and strong. I cannot believe that there are no RP6s near you. Remember, you can always order--as I did--online.

Hey again Charlie,

things have changed a lot on my side lately and I shouldn't miss the opportunity to tell you about it, as both you and I own the same DP.

Just a few days ago I was telling you about my own experience with the M-Audio BX8a Studiophiles. Well, two days ago I got my hands on a pair of new, in-the-box Behringer Truth B2031As that I couldn't resist, this guy was giving them away at $300 (CDN$, and no tax!). The moment I hit the keys after plugging them in, an irresistible grin appeared on my face. They simply make my MP8 come to life, the thing suddenly crosses the line between canned and acoustic sound. They just shine. Leave all the controls at "0" or "typical" except the tweeters which can be at +2 in my case, and there you are.

There are two possible problems with the Truths, however: first of all in cases of close proximity with radio station transmitters, they are liable to pick up FM residual sound. I don't have that problem where I live but my son does downtown. It's not too objectionable because the sound is perhaps 85db below that of the piano, but you do sometimes hear FM between pieces. Second, the moment you connect to your computer via USB (at least with MY computer), you get ground loop hum (it wasn't there with the M-Audios). I also had that hum with the Truths that I used with my former CA-X. That is instantly cured by using a Morley EBTech Hum Eliminator, but that costs some 50 bucks. Not a big problem in my case as I had one of these little black boxes at hand.

The Truths are a huge bang for the buck. I'm not saying every Behringer product is at that level, but these B2031As are truly impressive. They have a feel of weight and quality about them, awesome power, no distortion and seemingly infinite headroom so they never overload. I don't know how they fare with other pianos, but with both the Kawais I've connected them to, they are simply superb sounding. Try them if you have a chance. No point in spending a fortune on other monitors if these please you as much as they please me. I'm back to leaving my beautiful acoustic grand unattended smile

Best of luck!

Claude

Originally posted by AE_Charlie:
Would the V6 be better for a smaller apartment?
Absolutely yes. 8" speakers need a big room to listen to the sound correctly.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Suryaman:
Originally posted by AE_Charlie:
[b] Would the V6 be better for a smaller apartment?
Absolutely yes. 8" speakers need a big room to listen to the sound correctly. [/b]
Not exactly. We're not talking about stereo room speakers here. We're talking about near-field studio monitors that are made for a particular and very intimate listening setup. If you want room speakers, you should probably go to a home hifi dealer.

Here's another thread with a bit of discussion on setting up studio monitors:

PW Mounting Monitors Thread

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
Originally posted by packa:
Not exactly. We're not talking about stereo room speakers here. We're talking about near-field studio monitors that are made for a particular and very intimate listening setup. If you want room speakers, you should probably go to a home hifi dealer.
I know very well that we are talking about studio monitors and adapting one's own studio monitors to room dimensions is a very important thing to do.

If you place studio monitors with a relatively big woofer like 8" in a small room you run the risk to have a big rumble on the bass frequencies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission