2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
help Well, now that I'm happily playing on my new Casio PX 310, I would like to experiment with its bells and whistles. However, when reading the manual, my eyes just glaze over. I can follow the instructions as to how to do the settings, but I have no idea what you would use them for. I don't even know where to start asking questions. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone knew of a book or information on the web that explains all the things you can do with your keyboard. There really doesn't seem to much information on Casio's web site. I need something basic. Does it exist? You know like an Idiot's Guide to How to Use Your Digital Piano. They have Idiot's Guides and Dummie Books for just about everything why not digital keyboards.

Or, am I just nuts and dense? Thanks. confused

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi FE,

Here is what I did: I read the manual once and then I read it twice and then I read it three times and then I read it again....

Actually, you really don't need all of the features on the PX310. They are there if you want to experiment with them and you may need to have the manual in front of you when setting some of the features. However, remember that when you turn it (the PX310) off all the settings go back to the default mode. You can change the default mode on some of the features but I choose to leave them alone.

I do like the drum-beat feature but I don't use it much. There are almost 200 different voices that you can play around with but I like the plain old Grand Piano 1 the best.

I don't know if this has helped you or not (I hope it has). However, I will add that I have had my Casio PX310 for about 2 months and I have only scratched the surface on learning how to use/set all the various features and different voices and voice combinations.

Again, you just have to read and re-read the manual. (I will say that the Casio manual is no more complicated than the Yamaha digital keyboard manual).

Regards,

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I agree with Rickster. I've had my PX300 for over a year, and I rarely change anything. It stays in Grand Piano 1. Occasionally I might try a different voice, but it's usually one of those where you just need to press the button.

Hopefully, one day after I actually learn how to play piano, I'll start messing with the fun stuff.

markb--The Count of Casio
Hi MarkB,

I can't play all that well myself and I never thought I would like the sound of an organ but I really like to play "When The Saints Go Marching In" on the PX310 in the Rock Organ with variation setting or the Jazz Organ.

However, as you say, the GP1 voice is superb.

Regards,

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've got similar issues with my Clavinova CLP280. I cant remember when I've played with a "feature" other than the standard Grand Piano sound and sometimes adjusting the touch response.

I was trying to download additional midi songs (in addition to the 50 which are in permanent memory) with limited success. This is their flagship model but Yamaha doesn't seem to offer any good music to download for it.

Also I find the recording facilities confusing at best. The file naming seems obscure.

If I had a board with auto accompaniement, I would just have one more thing to ignore.

There is a lot of info in Yamaha's manual but I still have many questions it doesn't answer. And emails to Yamaha haven't helped too much either.

So who's gonna step up and write the Dummy books for us dummies? laugh

Phil
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I happened to sit behind the keyboard player at a fancy Arabian horse show once. He was doing background music, I guess you'd call it pop, in a big arena.

He used the built in rhythm, chord, and instrument voices extremely effectively, and didn't have to work that hard. He used the keyboard features instead of playing complex or difficult pieces, and it was a real crowd pleaser.

The point is that the purpose drove his use of the bells and whistles.

gotta go practice
OP Offline
Ugh! Thanks guys. At least I'm not alone in my inability to press the right buttons. I'm glad that just shutting it off will get to back to go. I'm interested in auto chords function. I did play around with the voices, but clearly the one I'll use the most GP1--it's got a great sound.

Here's a catch 22--I'd gladly step up to the plate and write a Dummies book but I'm the Dummy or Idiot as the case may be. I have close friend who's fairly high up the feeding chain at the publisher of the Idiot Guides, I think that I'll make a suggestion to her.

And, I hadn't realized how rusty I really am after 30 years or so being away from the piano. It's that age-old problem--getting the right and left hands to play together and recalling what notes or what in the upper and lower octaves.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I just bought a PX310 last week! The manual is pretty basic. Stores like Borders or Guitar Center would probably have what you seek. If I come across something good I will post. Until then try this (I am at work so this is rough): Get some sheetmusic or a lead sheet for a pop piece you like. Pick a rhythm, say "8 beat" (assuming 4/4 time). Activate the "fingered" chord function. Press synchro start. When you play the first LH chord it will start. Then just go on playing your melody line with your right while you play left hand chord changes. When you reach the end of your first verse reach up and press the "fill" button for a measure or two and continue on to the next verse or chorus. Press "ending" to wrap it up at the coda.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission