2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#663190 02/22/08 12:32 PM
M
Marloes Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello,

Today I was looking for a digital piano at the musicstore. The man who was helping me played a while for me at one of the thee piano's there, a Yamaha CLP 880, and it sounded so great!
It costs 995 euro, that's in fact above my budget, but compared to the one's of 600/700 euro, this one sounded so much better!

I've searched this forums for information about the CLP 880, but I couldn't find that much, so since I'm a complete beginner and don't want to buy something wich I maybe regret later, I'd like to hear your advise. What do you think about this piano?

Thanks in advance smile .

Marloes

P.S. Sorry if I messed up with English, but it's not my native language.

#663191 02/22/08 01:07 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Welcome to the forum. It was first made in 1998, discontinued in the US but not sure when. I would be inclined to find something newer for that kind of money. It has the standard GH keyboard, a quality DP but nothing exceptional about it. It has two 60w amps and 4 decent speakers, so I'm not surprised it sounds good. If you don't know how to play yet I'd sugggest buying a cheap keyboard until you develop your own preference, then buy something more expensive. My neighbors are from the Netherlands, they own a business there and have a plant here so I'm trained to understand Dutchified english.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
#663192 02/22/08 01:14 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Was this a used digital? The CLP 880 seems
to be a discontinued model that may be
more than 5 years old. The price seems to
indicate a used model. A digital piano
more than 5 yrs. old is only worth about
$400 to 500 (US)--or even less--no matter
what it sold for new, so the price is way
too high. Digital pianos are essentially
computers, so a good general rule is
to use computer pricing as a guide; for
example, how much would a 5 yr. old computer
be worth? Not much.

You need to be careful when shopping for
pianos in a store. Piano salesmen are
very skillful, and you're being subjected
to a subtle but intensive sales pitch.
When demonstrating a piano, the salesman
will know how to play things that sound
superb to the ear and will make you want
to buy. For example, you're almost sold
on this apparently overpriced used digital
that may be more than 5 yrs. old--ancient
in the fast-moving digital piano world.

You don't have to be worried about outgrowing
any weighted-key digital piano, because
all weighted digitals have sound and action
based on a concert grand, and you're not
going to be able to outgrow a concert grand.

In my opinion, you don't have to spend a lot
to get a good new digital piano. Even ones
in the $400 to 500 (US) price range are
pretty good. $400 to 900 will get you
a fine new digital piano. You can spend
much more, but that's not necessary, in my
view. I also see no problem with buying
lesser-known brands (for example: Hemingway,
Winchester, Diginova, Williams, Galileo,
Viscount, etc.) sight-unseen online. You
would have a hard time today buying a bad
weighted-key digital piano.

#663193 02/22/08 02:07 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i would hesitate to buy this CLP which is 10 years old already, but it's similar to current CLP230 except action part.

i would rather get a new CLP240 instead, which would be much better choice for your money:
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D59016%252526CTID%25253D203500,00.html

also, it's always wise to buy the best you can afford rather than get a cheap one for now and upgrade 1 year later.

#663194 02/22/08 02:58 PM
I think Signa has a point. To compare, here are the specs and other info of the CLP-880:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...DATTRIBUTE%252526LGFL%25253DY, 00.html

wink

I love my dark rosewood Yamaha CLP-240. She's as honest with me as a loyal dog but she sounds better.
#663195 02/22/08 03:08 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Gyro:
You don't have to be worried about outgrowing any weighted-key digital piano, because all weighted digitals have sound and action based on a concert grand, and you're not
going to be able to outgrow a concert grand.
Another ridiculous statement. In the first place, the actions are not based on a "concert grand" in any but a very small handful of very expensive digitals. In fact, they are not even based on acoustics. They are not even really "weighted" -- they are mostly spring-loaded imitations of a piano action. And the feel is radically different on various digitals, and does not compare well to a real piano except on a very very few.

As for the "sound" being "based on a concert grand," another absurd statement. How one "bases" the "sound" on anything is not just a matter of what the anything is -- it's more a matter of how the "basing" is done. The number of samples taken, the range of volumes at which samples are taken, the range of tonal combinations that are separately sampled (in all cases, as opposed to digitally modifying the sound after sampling) all make a huge difference in the sound.

Believe what you read on Internet discussion boards...at your own risk.

#663196 02/22/08 05:12 PM
D
D
Originally posted by J. Mark:
]
Another ridiculous statement. .

," another absurd statement. [/QUOTE]
Nice way to have a discussion. yawn

#663197 02/22/08 05:40 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not trying to have a "discussion." I'm pointing out that the information stated is inaccurate. I don't care to have a discussion on the subject. There is nothing to discuss.

#663198 02/22/08 08:25 PM
D
D
I'm not trying to have a "discussion." I'm pointing out that the information stated is inaccurate. I don't care to have a discussion on the subject. There is nothing to discuss.
Then you appear to be trying to start an argument with Gyro.
Inaccurate is much nicer wording than ridiculous and absurd.differing opinions shouldn't be met with insults.

#663199 02/22/08 08:44 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry, dvs. There's a fair amount of history here, and I suppose my comments could appear rude in the absence of that (and possibly in the presence of it). Let me just say that I feel Mr. Gyro makes very very very "inaccurate" statements here all the time. Most people have gotten tired of even responding. I'm sure I will, too.

#663200 02/23/08 03:44 AM
hey, i have a question, too...
when manufacturers release products with randomly ordered numbers, are they trying to make me go completely insane? why release clp880 before clp280? and those casios that are px110, 310, 210..?! make the best and the newest have the biggest numbers! everyone knows that, guys! is there a (good) reason they don't do that?

#663201 02/23/08 01:50 PM
M
Marloes Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you for your advice smile

@Gyro: it's indeed a used one, but some things under the keys are renewed.

#663202 02/23/08 02:25 PM
D
D
Sorry, dvs. There's a fair amount of history here, and I suppose my comments could appear rude in the absence of that (and possibly in the presence of it). Let me just say that I feel Mr. Gyro makes very very very "inaccurate" statements here all the time. Most people have gotten tired of even responding. I'm sure I will, too.
I understand. I have some other forums for various activities that I have the same problem. I try to ignore them unless they make a personal attack. Ususally I take it to the PM section so as not to mess up the original poster such as in this case.

#663203 02/23/08 02:42 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by dvs cycles:
[b] Sorry, dvs. There's a fair amount of history here, and I suppose my comments could appear rude in the absence of that (and possibly in the presence of it). Let me just say that I feel Mr. Gyro makes very very very "inaccurate" statements here all the time. Most people have gotten tired of even responding. I'm sure I will, too.
I understand. I have some other forums for various activities that I have the same problem. I try to ignore them unless they make a personal attack. Ususally I take it to the PM section so as not to mess up the original poster such as in this case. [/b]
Well, the problem with that is, it doesn't necessarily accomplish as much. I could PM gryo, but he has completely ignored the many posts that have been made correcting his misstatements, so I have no reason to believe PM'ing him would help.

I could PM the original poster suggesting he ignore gyro, but that seems kind of cowardly -- shouldn't it all be in the bright light of day, for gyro and others to criticise me if I'm wrong.

Plus, PM'ing would not reach the many readers who are not posting on the thread.... If there are statements made that are wrong, and anyone feels it is worth correcting them, it is worth correcting them in the same forum where they were made.

BTW, I meant to mention earlier -- you said something about differing opinions. I honestly don't believe what I posted was an opinion. It was pure fact.

Anyway, thanks for being understanding. I probably shouldn't bother....

#663204 02/23/08 03:36 PM
D
D
The important part is the original poster got some answers though not entire correct that were sufficient to help a total newbie.
I'm hardly above that level too but my knowledge is growing every day and every question I ask or see answered.
Gyro is sometimes over the edge with DPs but so are some of the accoustic folk here too.
Important thing is we all share a love for piano.
You should see some of the fights on my cycling websites.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission