2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, so my apologies if this issue has already been discussed. I live in an apartment, so I am more inclined to buy a clavinova so I can plug in headphones to not disturb my neighbors. On the other hand, it's harder for me to afford, and I've played piano for 15 years, so I'm used to the sound and feel of an acoustic. But if I rent an acoustic (easier for me to afford) I'm afraid of being too loud and bugging my neighbors!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!! cool laugh wink

F
F
It seems to me that it really depends on how much you care about maintaining cordial relationships with your neighbors. If that is paramount, then I would go with the Clavinova. I own a Clavinova (Yamaha CLP 820)and it has very realistic action and good sound quality. You will find that most of the members prefer the acoustic not only from a performance standpoint but they frequently mention resale value as well. An intermediate step would be to rent an acoustic for six months and see how it goes with the neighbors and if they complain, you can always give it back and get a clavinova (this is obviously a bit more expensive than just buying the clavinova). If you go down this route, you may try to work a deal with the salesman and let them know of your predicament and see if he can give you a break on the clavinova price if you have to return the acoustic (break on shipping?).

Felix. :p

S
S
Felix,

I am currently looking to buy a Clavinova. I would be interested in knowing your experience with the CLP 820. I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Satish

F
F
Satish:

I have owned my Clavinova for 18 months. It is a great instrument. The sound quality is good, the keys are weighted (the higher octaves have a lighter touch than the lower octaves just like an acoustic). Factor in the built in metronome, the different voices (grand piano, electric piano, harpsichord, strings, and organ) as well as the 50 built in songs (in case you don't feel like playing but would like to hear nice piano songs) and it is a great value instrument. Oh I forgot, the ability to record your playing and play it back is also a valuable feature. I am looking to buy an acoustic but I will be keeping my Clavinova (it is worth much more to me than what I can get for it). Hope this helps.

Felix. :p

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Felix pointed out the advantages of the Clavinova 820 very well.
There is only one thing I believe is incorrect: the weight of the keys is not graded on this model - the Clavinova 880 has this feature though (but it costs twice as much).
However, this shouldn't shy you away from it, it's still a very nice digital piano.

S
S
Thanks Felix and Nici. I just bought a CLP920. This one has the graded hammer effect key-board. It is very usefull to me as I can practice during nighttime.

S
S
Hi Satish,

My name is Sang. I'm also in the market for a digitial piano or a used paino for my daugther. May I ask where and how much you pay for your Clavinova 920? And, Why Yamaha and not any other brand?

Hi Felix,

I would appreciated can share your comment regrading the above questions as well.

Thanks,
Sang

PS. My 1st post confused

S
S
Sang,

I was looking for a digital piano that I can use for practice. I was not interested in more voices. I was primarily looking for keys which came close to an acoustic. CLP920 satisfied my needs. As to why a Yamaha: I did not a find a model similar to 920 in Kawai( the only other brand available locally).

Satish

T
T2 Offline
T
Originally posted by Rie:
I live in an apartment, so I am more inclined to buy a clavinova so I can plug in headphones to not disturb my neighbors. On the other hand, it's harder for me to afford, and I've played piano for 15 years, so I'm used to the sound and feel of an acoustic. <snip> Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!! cool laugh wink

I faced the same issue myself before I moved into a house. At first I went with an electronic keyboard. The problem is, that an electronic keyboard doesn't reproduce the same control, sensitivity, touch and expression of a real piano.

I talked with the neighbors and was very careful about observing quiet hours. They turned out to be pretty cool about the whole situation and wound up being very encouraging.

So, I wound up selling the electronic keyboards and got a real piano. I'm much happier too. Morale of the story: if you want to play a piano, get a piano.

I have an electronic keyboard these days, but I consider it an entirely different instrument than a piano. I use it for things a piano doesn't do as well such as orchestration and composition.

One more thing: they now have some systems on accoustic pianos that allow you to play quietly. See PianoDisc., etc. I'm not up on how these work, but one of the techs on the forum can explain the details.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission