Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#663359 - 07/16/08 03:29 AM Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
trillingadventurer Offline

Loc: San Diego
Hi All,

My student spilled some milk on her digital piano. (Yes, I know there should never be any food or drinks near a piano, but sometimes there just IS!) It was, of course, immediately affected. It happened on the lower keys and one of the bass notes began to sustain forever without the key even being pressed down. When I played another key, a moment later, it sounded like two or three keys were playing at the same time. Any suggestions on how this can be fixed. Can it be fixed at all? Or did she break her instrument. In other words, shall we all cry over this spilt milk?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#663360 - 07/16/08 08:15 AM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
Daniel.L Offline

Loc: Sweden / LuleƄ
Hi

I'm not an expert, but as you probably know fluids and electronics does not go hand in hand. If you are lucky I guess it might be possible to just open it up and clean it with use some kind of alchol-based fluid.

I don't recommend you to do this yourself though. You should probably leave the piano to some certified "piano fixer".

Regards
/Daniel

#663361 - 07/16/08 12:22 PM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
This is for future reference. Whenever you spill something - as long as the power was off, you have a very good chance of getting away with it.

Don't turn the power on - make sure you clean up the spill. If it was just water, then drying it is sufficient (you can use hair dryer - just don't set to heat, or condensed air in cans they sell at computer stoers). If it was some other fluid - like salt water, or milk like in this example - you not only need to dry the instrument, but also get rid of the sediment. You can do it with water as well - just make sure you dry it all after you're done.

Unfortunately in your case, it seems as you turned the instrument on after the spill. That's a big no-no. But what's done is done (no point in crying over spilled milk \:\) ) - there still may be hope of saving the piano. Open it up, and clean up the spill really good. If you're lucky the milk was simply occluding optical sensors. It could also be just shorting some integrated circuits - again - if you're lucky it was just across signal lines, and not power.

Cleaning it up is the first step.

#663362 - 07/16/08 05:20 PM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
sieg66 Offline

Loc: paris
"Unfortunately in your case, it seems as you turned the instrument on after the spill"

In my opinion it was allready ON \:D

#663363 - 07/16/08 06:16 PM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Since nothing went POP I think just cleaning around and under the keys will get you out of trouble. If the piano has those little rubber buttons under each key, be sure to lift them off and clean underneath. They should just press in and out.

#663364 - 07/17/08 11:16 AM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
As long as there is no power - no power at all, even a battery - in an electronic device, distilled water does it no harm and can be used to clean it.

Just be sure it is completely !completely! dry before putting on power again.

Milk isn't that easy to get off. Open it up as far as you can, get a spray bottle that adjusts from fog to stream, fill it with distilled water, have at it. I've done this with computers and got them working again, haven't tried with a keyboard.

You need distilled water because tap water is going to leave mineral deposits as it evaporates and some of them will be conductive.

#663365 - 07/17/08 11:20 AM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
cs_carver Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
No "pop" alone does not mean "no damage;" some electrical damage can happen silently.

Worse, milk may spoil, and that smell won't go away on its own. You may have to dismantle the keyboard to get at it, and even then, it might need an enzyme cleaner (the kind used for dog urine) to get rid of the last of the smell.

Good luck.

#663366 - 07/17/08 11:22 AM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
cs_carver Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
 Quote:
As long as there is no power - no power at all, even a battery - in an electronic device,
IANAE, but I date one: Is there a gizmo on a circuit board that holds charge in the absence of a power supply? I'm thinking capacitor? Possible that the water won't change anything, until you touch it...

#663367 - 07/17/08 11:30 AM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
bitWrangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Central TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by cs_carver:
 Quote:
As long as there is no power - no power at all, even a battery - in an electronic device,
IANAE, but I date one: Is there a gizmo on a circuit board that holds charge in the absence of a power supply? I'm thinking capacitor? Possible that the water won't change anything, until you touch it... [/b]
It would have to be a rather large cap to hold a charge for anything more than a few seconds.

The biggest problem here is that the liquid is milk, not water, which means that simply letting it "dry out" will likely still lead to other issues (sticky/non responsive keys, smell, rust, etc). The only real solution is to take that puppy apart and start cleaning (either yourself or someone who is more "qualified"). You could always let it dry for a week and give it a go and keep your fingers crossed, but depending on the value of the keyboard, this may be a situation where it's just simpler to sell the thing on craigslist as is and consider this a wonderful opportunity to upgrade \:\) I'm sure we're all looking forward to the OP's student's "I'm looking for a new digital piano, which one should I get" thread.

#663368 - 07/17/08 04:13 PM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

The POP just being a general rule of thumb... Not always valid of course. Still, out of all the keyboards I have disassembled, I never found anything with mains electrical circuits near the keyboard. They're always further back. The circuit board under the keys (and possibly behind the keys) is a signal board and the things you should focus on most is that and contacts.

#663369 - 07/17/08 08:57 PM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
PlatonicSolid Offline

Loc: CT-USA
Rather than repeat what's already been repeated (open it up and clean it - I'd use rubbing alcohol and q-tips) maybe someone can be of further assistance in the repair if you tell us exactly the make and model of the DP we're talking about.

#663370 - 07/18/08 01:49 AM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
Daniel.L Offline

Loc: Sweden / LuleƄ
I'm not sure it's good doing it yourself. Doesnt the guarantee usually becomes invalidated if you do (if there still are any).

#663371 - 07/18/08 02:44 AM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
WildWillie Offline

Loc: Austin TX
Allright, I just wrote a huge response to this whole thing, thought the better of it and I'll shorten.

1. Any capacitors in your keyboard will hold a charge for at most a second or so after you turn it off. But: MAKE SURE THE KEYBOARD IS NOT ONLY TURNED OFF BUT UNPLUGGED AS WELL BEFORE YOU TRY ANYTHING!!!!!!!

2. If it was my keyboard, the very first thing I would do is pour an entire bottle of rubbing alcohol into it, preferably in the general vicinity of where the milk went in, swish it around as much as possible, and then pour it out. Then let it sit for a few hours for the remaining alcohol to evaporate. I will often repeat this sequence multiple times. I realize this may be difficult if this is a large digital piano, but with another person to help you could probably pull it off. You would not believe how many things I have fixed in this manner after spills like this (two electronic keyboards after beer dumps, numerous computer keyboards, at least 3 cell phones . . .). However, it doesn't always completely fix the problem, as some of the goo may be compressed in between contacts (common in computer keyboards with the big rubber membrane keyswitch matrices inside) and can't be simply rinsed out. Unquestionably worth a try though, and always my first option.

3. If this didn't work, or didn't completely fix it, then dissassembly and cleaning is your best chance. Use Q-tips ( see PlatonicSolid above) and do not spare the rubbing alcohol! It won't hurt anything, and it is a tremendous solvent. Distilled water is good, but nowhere near as good as isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, IMHO. Think about it - a bottle of rubbing alcohol costs maybe $2 these days? How much did your student's keyboard cost?

Finally, trillingadventurer, if you and/or your student are uncomfortable with dissassembling the keyboard for cleaning, reply with your general location, and maybe myself or someone else can hook you up with a little help. Wouldn't hurt, as mentioned above, to state the make and model of the keyboard in question.

Good luck!

#663372 - 07/18/08 02:48 AM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
WildWillie Offline

Loc: Austin TX
And, Daniel.L, I'm pretty sure that dumping something in the keyboard is not covered under the warranty, unless one has purchased some sort of special full coverage package on the unit. And it's going to be hard to deny it when they open it up and the innards are full of rancid milk.

Which means you're going to pay for it to get it fixed regardless. This is one of the major reasons I'm a big fan of the whole bottle rubbing alcohol treatment - noninvasive!

#663373 - 07/18/08 08:31 AM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
GregC Offline

Loc: Dublin, California
thats a big problem

I would spill coffee on it and make a nice cappuchino

#663374 - 07/19/08 10:55 AM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
Ken Knapp Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
It really should be taken apart and cleaned. Unfortunately, it isn't for the faint of heart!

The problem is that the keys actuate switches that are comprised partly of traces on a circuit board. If the liquid causes corrosion you've got real problems.

Ken

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician
http://www.tonewheeltech.com

#663375 - 07/19/08 03:36 PM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
trillingadventurer Offline

Loc: San Diego
Great news. She let it alone for a few days and turned it on and it's fine.

Whew!

Thanks everyone for your input and support

#663376 - 07/21/08 09:24 AM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
athomik Offline

Loc: England
 Quote:
Originally posted by trillingadventurer:

Whew!
[/b]
You might be lucky, but there is a possibility that the milk residue will cause corrosion in the long term. At some point in the near future, it may be worth getting the affected parts thoroughly cleaned (using Isopropyl alcohol as suggested in previous posts). I have come across electronic instruments which seem to have worked for quite a long time after an accident before they exhibited any faults. By then, the fault was either fatal or repair was very expensive due to the amount of corrosion.

#663377 - 07/21/08 09:56 AM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
tenders Offline

Loc: Westchester, NY
Unlike soda, juice, tea, or coffee, milk does not seem like one of those things that would cause long-term corrosion. I could see the residue attracting dust or lint though.

#663378 - 07/21/08 12:30 PM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I could see the smell becoming a problem. Milk curdles.

#663379 - 07/21/08 12:44 PM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
I'd still try to clean it. Think of it this way - if you spilled milk underneath your fridge - you wouldn't just leave it there - would you?

#663380 - 07/21/08 09:40 PM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
ginger_vitys Offline

Loc: Nashville TN
Put it on eBay and go buy a new model.

Years ago, I spilled a glass of beer into an ancient Korg clavinet. It promptly became thoroughly inebriated and refused to operate for about 3 days. It eventually got over the hangover. But milk... probably too gooey and probably will also smell bad for a while.

#663381 - 07/22/08 09:55 AM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
GregC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trillingadventurer:

Whew!

Thanks everyone for your input and support [/b]
you know what happens if you ignore toothaches that ' go away '

#663382 - 07/22/08 05:15 PM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
Tony V Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by GregC:
you know what happens if you ignore toothaches that ' go away ' [/b]
I don't. What does happen? I think walked off a few toothaches a few years ago...

#663383 - 07/22/08 10:24 PM Re: Spilt Milk On A Digital Piano
GregC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuan Vo:
 Quote:
Originally posted by GregC:
you know what happens if you ignore toothaches that ' go away ' [/b]
I don't. What does happen? I think walked off a few toothaches a few years ago... [/b]
in many cases, something worse

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
108 registered (accordeur, A Guy, 31 invisible), 1500 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156112 Topics
2292507 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
50 minutes 40 seconds ago
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
Yesterday at 09:12 PM
Just Tried Brand New Mason and Hamlins....
by Paul678
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission