2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Can anyone confirm if the polished ebony finish of the Yamaha CLP-170 Clavinova would be more expensive than the other finishes (dark rosewood, cherry and mahogany)?

If so, what sort of differential in the price is reasonable?

Also, why would polished ebony be more expensive?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, it IS more expensive, no matter where you purchase it. I am in Canada and the price I was quoted for the Mahogany was $4400, in comparison to the ebony model for which I was quoted $4700. Of course, I talked the price down a bit. wink Cherry is less expensive than Mahogany and Rosewood, cheaper than Cherry... you get the idea. My guess is from an artistic standpoint, black goes with any decor... an ebony digital is much like an ebony grand. They look MUCH better than mostly all wood-finished pianos. Now, from a price standpoint, ebony IS a more expensive finish and in my opinion, the most beautiful of the two styles... it's just, stunning! BUT remember, the finish does not change the sound of the piano, which strangely, is something many people seem to believe. meh, people these days! :p

I chose ebony as it really is the most beautiful out of all the finishes and I plan to own my CLP for a long time, so the extra cost is well worth it! Not to meantion, it goes with ANYTHING! I know, I know, I said that already. smile

--- List form ---
I was quoted the following prices:

Rosewood: $3900
Cherry: $4150 - This IS NOT Cherry if you ask me. What were they smoking? laugh
Mahogany: $4400
Ebony: $4700

So, I assume each finish is ranked by popularity and costs a couple hundred dollars more for each.

BUT! keep in mind that Ebony CLP Digitals were originally meant to be produced for a limited time only.... which must be true as I had to be put on a waiting list until more were shipped to the DC's in Toronto. It seems to be the most popular CLP ever made.

I hope I've been of some assistance.

I think the price highly depends on where you are located. Here at my local dealers there is no difference in price no matter of finish. That applys at least to the CLP-150. They usually have a couple of pianos in the dark rosewood and one in mahogny and none in cherry. (I don't think people want the cherry at all, it reminds them of the 70's and the pianos standing in public schools...)

I haven't checked out the CLP-170 though.

IMHO the Dark Rosewood is nicest. The mahogany one reminds me too much of my old piano (a really bad acoustical Yamaha from 1986. No matter how you tune it...it just have this annoying sound that could best be described as a mix between a trumpet and a piano. It sounded like that even being brand new :p )

The Dark Rosewood is dark enough to go almost with anything, whilst the ebony needs to be polished and cleaned all the time.

But on the other hand, I don't see a piano as a piece of furniture, but only as an instrument! As long as it doesn't give me bad vibes (as the cherry and mahogany one) it's fine with me smile

Oh yeah...nothing on the dealers websites indicates that there are different prices depending on finish. So it might be an North American thing that doesn't apply to the European market or something...who knows?

BTW are those prices in Canadian dollars? If so I would like to move there smile The price for the CLP-170 in dark rosewood was even less than what I paid for my CLP-150! (And I bought it at the cheapest dealer in the whole country!) My price with the current exchange rate would be 3850CAD/2900USD!

The CLP-170 costs 4400USD and 5850CAD!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As a Yamaha dealer I can say the ebony is more than the mahogany which is more than rosewood.

Some of it has to do with the # of units they make of each finish. The rosewood is the most popular and they make/sell those in far more quantities than the other finishes.

The polish Ebony finish on the CLP170 is the same qualty material used on their uprights/grands, which also has an effect on the price.

If dealers are charging the same amount for the different finishes, than they are either taking a hit on the more expensive finish or making a bundle on the rosewood.

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission