Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#663688 - 10/20/04 02:39 AM Clavinova versus GIGA piano
vgeorge Offline

Loc: Ohio
I am in a spot should I go in for a Clavinova170 or a giga piano160 using my Yamaha P80 as the controller.The hardware and monitor speakers are already in place but I am not too sure of the sound or the touch.Any one with experience with either or both of these systems :3hearts:

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#663689 - 10/20/04 10:02 AM Re: Clavinova versus GIGA piano
JimM Offline

Loc: Northern California
I have a fair amount of experience with GigaStudio. What is it you'd like to know? The piano sounds are likely to be substantially better with GigaStudio (although you have to buy the libraries.) The touch of the 170 is different than the P80 but whether it's better is subjective. The P80 should work fine as a Giga controller if you're OK with the touch.

When you say "the hardware is in place," what hardware are you talking about? The computing requirements for soft samplers like Giga are pretty substantial, even more so for the new versions like Giga3. If you don't have a suitable computer you're probably talking a couple of thousand dollars by the time you buy the hardware, sound cards, midi interface, software and libraries.

#663690 - 10/21/04 02:37 AM Re: Clavinova versus GIGA piano
vgeorge Offline

Loc: Ohio
Well I have a P4 3.0Ghz with about 1gb RAM which I guess is good enough to run the Giga 160 which comes with an in built library the Giga piano.What I am keen on is the sound reproduction which in a CLP170 has an electronic feel to it.Can you recommend some good speakers to do justice to this sound library.Overall I still feel that 'assembling' a digital piano is tailormade to your requirements and perhaps cheaper too.
Any experience with the east west Bosendorfer library which doesn't require a sampler

#663691 - 10/21/04 04:24 PM Re: Clavinova versus GIGA piano
JimM Offline

That should be enough computer, although you'll also need two fast hard disks, a high-quality sound card and a midi interface.

Speakers are the weak link in all digital pianos IMHO. I supplement the ones in my CVP900 with two small Bose bookshelf speakers under the piano driven by a separate receiver/amplifier. Makes a big difference. I don't think you need large speakers to get a good piano sound, since the frequency response doesn't go that low. I tried a sub-woofer but it didn't add anything.

I don't have experience with the east-west Bosendorfer stand-alone module. I do have the east-west Bos library for Giga. It's nice, but has been greatly outstripped by the newer samples, including those from Post Audio and Sampletekk. The new Sampletekk Black Grand is the best classical piano sample I have ever used, and I've used or heard most of them. I don't know whether these are offered as a standalone module but you could check both web sites.

#663692 - 10/29/04 12:43 PM Re: Clavinova versus GIGA piano
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
Jim,

Just wanted to add that not any old soundblaster will do. The audio interface must include GSIF drivers and now there is a new specification GSIF2 for GIGA ver3. Unfortunately some manuafacturers are slow to adopt GSIF2 and m-audio (the nice/inexpensive Audiophile 2496) has even declined to create a new driver at all.

Come to think of it, I don't think Tascam has released GSIF2 drivers for some of their gear yet??

BTW:

I agree that the Black Grand is truely OUTSTANDING!!!

Rodney

#663693 - 10/30/04 09:01 AM Re: Clavinova versus GIGA piano
JimM Offline

I haven't upgraded to Giga3 yet so am still using my old Audiophile 2496 card. Wasn't aware they weren't going to supply drivers - bummer! I'll ask about experience with GSIF2 cards on Northernsounds if I decide to go. The resonance modeling on Giga3 produces some pretty nice pianos, but I'm so in love with my new Mason Hamlin BB that I've gotten less interested in sampled pianos!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, Aibohphobia, 36251, acortot, 45 invisible), 1826 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156064 Topics
2291714 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
07/22/14 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
07/22/14 01:31 PM
Stephen Hough - Advice for talented piano students
by fnork
07/22/14 12:58 PM
Getting started with MIDI: One question.
by 90SITA
07/22/14 12:46 PM
Remembering what to play
by kipale
07/22/14 11:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission