Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
142 registered (anamnesis, Alexander Borro, ajames, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1623 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#664404 - 09/16/04 07:31 PM Buying a digital - Roland?
r2 Offline

Loc: virginia
I am not a piano player and not musically inclined, however it seems as thought my 5 year old daughter may be. She has been taking piano lessons for the last few months at a neighbor's house and now it is time to rent or buy one for our home. I would like to get her a good piano that will last her at least 7-10 years. If it turns out she really plays well and enjoys playing, than I will upgrade to whatever is necessary.

I have been looking at digital pianos, and Rolands in particulars. The digitals interest me because it seems to me that kids would like the technology which may keep her interested. I like the ability to hook up a laptop and utilize some of the teaching materials available, although she will still take lessons from a human.

The quote I am getting for the HP2 is $2500 (and I now see from the e-mails that the rolands do not come with a bench). To my pathetic ear, the Rolands seem to have a sound very close to acoustic and I like the idea of little to no maintenance. I went to the Music123 site and I see they have a roland model MP60 that looks exactly the same and has the same features (progressive hammer action keyboard, 64 voice polyphony, etc). The price is $1400. Does anyone know if there are any differences between these two models. Are these pianos hard to assemble? Is there some reason that I should buy from a piano store rather than music123 (as I am a piano novice).

Should I be looking for a good used vertical? The used verticals in this piano store started at 3500K and the new were more expensive than that. Will my daughter be kept out of Julliard because she learned on a digital \:\)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#664405 - 09/17/04 07:48 AM Re: Buying a digital - Roland?
Michigan Offline

Have you looked into renting a piano until you find out for sure if this is something that your daughter is going to continue to pursue?

#664406 - 09/17/04 09:18 AM Re: Buying a digital - Roland?
r2 Offline

Yes. I am currently thinking about this as well. The local music store which sells Rolands has a program that allows for a rental (of an HP1) for up to 6 months with the rental price going towards the purchase of a piano. After the 6 months, no additional rental fees would apply to purchase. This seems like a good way to go unless the pianos are truly overpriced. Their rental terms are about $75 per month. Is that reasonable?

#664407 - 09/17/04 11:26 AM Re: Buying a digital - Roland?
mark2048 Offline

Most digitals from piano stores are overpriced.

Roland, like Yamaha and others, sells a "home" line of digital pianos through piano stores and a "pro" line through general music stores like guitar center, music123.com and many others. You will almost never find a price on the internet for the home line, and dealers will try to get whatever they can get away with. Prices for the pro line are readily available on the internet, or posted in catalogs or on the pianos themselves in the stores, and are almost always within $100 of each other for a given model no matter where you look.

There is real price competition in the pro lines, not much in the home lines.

#664408 - 09/17/04 01:16 PM Re: Buying a digital - Roland?
r2 Offline

Is there any real difference between the home lines and the professional lines, or do they just make the same piano and put different model numbers on them.

#664409 - 09/17/04 04:17 PM Re: Buying a digital - Roland?
mark2048 Offline

Not sure with the rolands, but with the Yamahas, I have heard on this board or harmony-central.com that the ydp series by yamaha (sold online, general purpose music stores) are nearly identical to some of the clavinovas (sold only at piano stores), but the clavinovas cost more.

But I do know that many people on this board and others love the roland pianos which are not sold in piano stores. Haven't heard much about the mp60, but have heard raves about the rd700, fp3 and fp5 stage pianos.

They couldn't make the pianos sold at piano stores exactly the same as the others, or it would be too easy to price compare and it would put their piano store line out of business. Also, they modify the bells and whistles depending on the market that they sell to. For example, yamaha makes two nearly identical pianos, the p250 for the pro market and the pf500 for the home market. The only difference that I could find was that the pf500 has a metronome, includes a stand and 3 pedals, and is more "stylish". They probably figure that the gigging musician doesn't care about the styling as much (it's not a piece of furniture for him), doesn't need the metronome because he is not taking piano lessons, and already has an old stand from another keyboard.

#664410 - 09/17/04 11:10 PM Re: Buying a digital - Roland?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
btw, pf500 is heavy also, perhaps heavier than p250 which you probably could take on road. but pf500 does feel great to play on.

#664411 - 09/18/04 10:50 AM Re: Buying a digital - Roland?
Luke's Dad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mid Atlantic
FYI, The HP series does include the bench. As far as Yamaha YDP vs. CLP, the YDP series doesn't have MIDI capability or external outputs. That is one major difference. There's also a huge distinction in warranty and warranty service.

Question? Was the $2500 for the mahogany or ebony finish?

#664412 - 09/19/04 06:38 PM Re: Buying a digital - Roland?
mark2048 Offline

From Yamaha's web page on the ydp223:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Cont...TRIBUTE,00.html

Jacks/Connectors MIDI (In/Out/Thru), TO HOST, HEADPHONES x 2, AUX IN, AUX OUT (L/L+R, R), AUX OUT (LEVEL FIXED) (L,R)

That jargon means that the ydp223 does have midi functions and external outputs.

I haven't done an exhaustive comparison between the ydp's and the comparable clavinova clp's but anyone who does will likely find that the only significant difference is price. Piano dealers don't want you to know this because they can make a very hefty profit on the clavinovas by selling them to people who are ignorant of the other choices out there.

It's true that the warranty coverage is better on the clavinova, but is it worth $500 or even $1000 to go from 1 year to 5 year warranty?

Quote:
Originally posted by Luke's Dad:
FYI, The HP series does include the bench. As far as Yamaha YDP vs. CLP, the YDP series doesn't have MIDI capability or external outputs. That is one major difference. There's also a huge distinction in warranty and warranty service.

Question? Was the $2500 for the mahogany or ebony finish? [/b]

#664413 - 09/21/04 10:09 AM Re: Buying a digital - Roland?
Luke's Dad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mid Atlantic
 Quote:
Originally posted by mark2048:
From Yamaha's web page on the ydp223:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Cont...TRIBUTE,00.html

Jacks/Connectors MIDI (In/Out/Thru), TO HOST, HEADPHONES x 2, AUX IN, AUX OUT (L/L+R, R), AUX OUT (LEVEL FIXED) (L,R)

That jargon means that the ydp223 does have midi functions and external outputs.

I haven't done an exhaustive comparison between the ydp's and the comparable clavinova clp's but anyone who does will likely find that the only significant difference is price. Piano dealers don't want you to know this because they can make a very hefty profit on the clavinovas by selling them to people who are ignorant of the other choices out there.

It's true that the warranty coverage is better on the clavinova, but is it worth $500 or even $1000 to go from 1 year to 5 year warranty?

Quote:
Originally posted by Luke's Dad:

Question? Was the $2500 for the mahogany or ebony finish? [/b]
[/b]
Sorry, it was the previous generation that didn't have them. I hadn't realized they'd been added.

#664414 - 09/23/04 10:10 AM Re: Buying a digital - Roland?
r2 Offline

The $2500 was for the mahogony finish. I believe they told me that the ebony finish was more expensive.

After reading all your comments and spending the last week looking at used accoustic pianos and speaking with my daughter's piano teacher, I have decided to go with a digital, and with the Roland.

My daughter's teacher has convinced me that young children learning to play the piano often stay with piano longer because of some of the features built into a digital. She likes the software that is available and she thinks some of the bells and whistles will keep my little one engaged a bit longer. She also seems convinced that learning on a digital that has a progressive weighted keyboard and pedals will not hinder my daughter from playing an accoustic piano when the time is right.

Thank you for all your help.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
REPOST: Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano
by kaustin
12/19/14 03:10 PM
Upright dampers not damping much, what to look for?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 01:26 PM
Restoration referrals needed
by Dewdman42
12/19/14 12:38 PM
Single note with a "harsh sound"
by i1lsia
12/19/14 12:23 PM
Schaff Bros baby grand piano $300
by Paul678
12/19/14 11:24 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159988 Topics
2349483 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission