Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#664472 - 12/28/07 12:10 PM Kurzweil Mark 5
ndjmom Offline

Loc: Elmwood, NE
I have played piano for church services for the past 10 years and yet I have not had access to a piano in my home for the past couple of years.

I've started looking for a DP and read a lot of postings on Yamaha 620/625 vs. Kurzweil, but still can't make up my mind.

I found a Kurzweil Mark 5 in my area that I can probably buy for <$200,no stool, manual etc.. just the keyboard/stand.

Where can I find support for this instrument and based on all the expert knowledge here should I snatch it up??? I'm looking for an instrument I'll have for a long time and will spend the money <$1000 for something better. Money is still tight on a single Mom's budget.

Thanks
Dawn

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#664473 - 12/28/07 02:28 PM Re: Kurzweil Mark 5
wruess Offline

Loc: Northern California, USA
Here are a couple of possibly useful links:

Official Kurzweil web site:

www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com

Forum where you might find specific info or ask pertinent questions:

http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/

IMO Kurzweil keyboards are excellent - but it all depends on what it sounds and feels like to YOU.

#664474 - 12/29/07 01:03 PM Re: Kurzweil Mark 5
ndjmom Offline

I found a lot of information on Kurzweil, but not on the Mark 5. Even the www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com site doesn't show support for the older model. The furthest back I can find is the Mark 6.

Can anyone help me out with the features and benefits of this instrument?

#664475 - 12/29/07 02:05 PM Re: Kurzweil Mark 5
ndjmom Offline

Finally found the user Manual, buried deep on the site. But there are no instructions for hooking it up to a computer.

I would greatly appreciate any practical knowledge and experience.
dawn

#664476 - 12/29/07 11:07 PM Re: Kurzweil Mark 5
MoodyBluesKeys Offline

Loc: Trent Woods, NC
I have several Kurzweil pro instruments, and am well pleased with them, I have done a bit of simple repairs on some of the home instruments. I looked at the Mark V owner's manual, there is some MIDI information in there on connecting to other MIDI devices, which could include a computer.

This keyboard is old enough not to have a USB connection for a computer. Audio can be sent from the audio output jacks to the sound input of a computer (or, for that matter, from the sound output of the computer to the Kurzweil's input jacks). Quality of sound would be largely determined by the type of audio board in the computer.

A computer can also be adapted to connect to the MIDI connections on the Mark 5. Several companies make boards which install in the computer, or USB adapters for MIDI, I use them myself (I am using eMu boards) for interconnection.

The real thing is that the manual gives the information needed for SOMONE WHO HAS CONSIDERABLE EXPERIENCE WITH MIDI to interface the instrument with either other instruments, computers, or hardware sequencers. However, MIDI is a rather complex subject (when one goes beyond the most simple applications, such as playing sounds using the keyboard and an external sound module).

There do not seem to be many recent books on how to hook up and work with MIDI, some of the older books have good info, but generally requiring considerable knowledge BEFORE reading the book. There are also various sites on the Internet that are useful in working with MIDI (such as www.tweakheadz.com)

Support - DG Audio, Inc. on the west coast, Duane Garvin - was formerly national Service Manager for Kurzweil. He can provide repairs on most models, including those no longer made. There are also authorized Kurzweil service centers all over the US, a listing for your area can be found from the web site www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com

If the instruments is in good working order, the price you are mentioning is a good price. My personal recommendation is to visit the seller, play the instrument, and see if (1) it is in good usable condition, and (2) are the sound and feel pleasing to you.

My oldest Kurzweil, a K2000VP, was made about 1993, it is still running smoothly, and is in use several times a week (I leave it at my church).

HTH,

Jim
JBL 10&15 EONG2s, EV SxA100+s QSC K10s, HP & ThinkPad DAWs, eMu 1820M & 1616M.
Epi Les Paul & LP 5str Bass, Trace amp-cabinets.
Formerly in electronic keyboard repair trade - semi-retired

#664477 - 12/30/07 01:12 AM Re: Kurzweil Mark 5
ndjmom Offline

Thanks for the info. When I looked at the manual the midi section was very confusing! I'm a real newbie when it comes to the midi. I just want to hook it up and have it print out my random compositions/variations that I can't remember long enough to notate by hand. I'll check out the references and hope that I find a place that I can understand.

I'm going to visit the seller on Tuesday and check out the touch/feel/response. It truly is a bare bones piano, but then that's all I'm really ready for at this point.

It's ironic, this was a practice church piano purchased by the secretary and has sat unused for 2 years. I'm really looking forward to getting in some serious practice time again!

Thanks!
Dawn

#664478 - 01/01/08 04:58 PM Re: Kurzweil Mark 5
ndjmom Offline

Just went and looked at the DP and was disappointed that it wasn't near perfect. There seems to be a vibration coming from the left bottom speaker that makes a noise when you play in the lower notes. Depending on what the bass setting is it can start even at E below middle C!

I don't know if the speaker needs to be replaced or if something is just loose. The person selling it didn't know anything about it and the pedals were not working,...missing a cord perhaps? There was also no music ledge/base.

I could get it for less than $175, but I still don't know if it's worth it. Anyone know about the speaker....disappointed,...maybe I'll keep looking...
Dawn

The touch was VERY light, but read that their are 7 different touch settings. But didn't print off the manual and bring it with me (stupid)

#664479 - 01/01/08 06:14 PM Re: Kurzweil Mark 5
LesCharles73 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denton Texas
Kurzweil makes a good board, but their touch isn't the best. Since you think it feels a little too light, I would keep looking. The "touch settings" don't effect the feel of the keyboard, it only effects the volume of the notes in proportion to how hard you play the keys.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (accordeur, ajames, A Guy, Al LaPorte, 36251, 43 invisible), 1630 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155773 Topics
2287108 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Interested in an Exam Program; Which One Best in Eastern US?
by ClsscLib
07/10/14 10:40 AM
Should I buy a CP4 or RD- 800 ?
by Abby Pianoman
07/10/14 10:02 AM
Lauberger & Gloss
by David, Las Vegas
07/10/14 09:40 AM
How do you measure progress?
by BrianDX
07/10/14 08:05 AM
Multiple sound engines?
by Nordomus
07/10/14 05:08 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission