Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#665373 - 12/02/03 12:06 AM another digital piano question
morlane Offline

Loc: Quebec
I just learned that my dad will buy be a digital (read apartment-compatible!)piano. (yay!) I want one that will have a realistic piano sound and a touch/feel as close as possible to a real piano (I'm used to pianos with a rather hard touch). I really don't care about the other gadgets or options. I have a budget of 2000-3000$, so what are your suggestions?
I heard about "silent pianos", they seem to be real accoustic pianos that also have de digital (soundless!) option. any idea how much I should expect for these?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#665374 - 12/02/03 01:12 AM Re: another digital piano question
JDWooWoo Offline

Loc: cyberspace
One model to check out is the Yamaha P250, which usually weighs in around $1900. The general opinion is that it has a firmer touch than Roland models. The samples are from a Yamaha CFIII grand piano, one of their finest.

The only "silent piano" I have heard of is the Schimmel, which is indeed a real acoustic piano that turns into a Yamaha digital when you operate the middle pedal. However, Schimmel uprights start around $8000 and I think the silent piano option will run another $4000-5000.

#665375 - 12/02/03 11:06 AM Re: another digital piano question
Nunatax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
A lot of brands have "silent" pianos, Yamaha has such models too and you can have it installed on (almost?) every acoustic piano.
However, the guy at one of the stores I went to told me that in order to install the device, they had to adjust the mechanism which had a negative effect on the action. I launched the question on this forum once, but never received an answer so I'm not yet sure whether this is correct.
With your budget I think you could consider a Yamaha CLP 170 or a top Roland, though I believe Yamaha actions are the heaviest.
Also if you can, test a Kawai CA 1000 or CA 1200, very nice and quite heavy touch (wooden keys). These are certainly within your budget and really worth their money.

Rgds,
Michiel

#665376 - 12/02/03 11:18 AM Re: another digital piano question
Luke's Dad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mid Atlantic
When you say 2-3K budget is that US, or Canadian. Could make a difference in recommendations.

#665377 - 12/02/03 12:01 PM Re: another digital piano question
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
If you're talking about US dollars, then you have a wide range of pianos to choose from depending on how good you want it to look and portability.

If you want portability with low weight (around 40 lbs), then the P120 is a great system at about $1200 with stand.

Portability with weight not a concern (around 70 lbs), then the P250 is the best bet because it has a much wider polyphony and more voices.

If you want the best digital piano with a $3,000 ceiling. IMHO the CLP-170 is the beast that is best. With dickering, you should easily get the dealer to sell it to you for $3k (or less) out the door.

You can compare the features at Yamaha's website.

#665378 - 12/03/03 11:37 AM Re: another digital piano question
specialk Offline

Loc: Michigan
Like many others I am searching for the "realistic" feel and touch of an acoustic. Since you are searching for an "apartment compatable" unit my thoughts may be helpful (or not). One of the things I have become aware of in my search, touch/feel aside, is that the "sound" of the various models often is quite different when using headphones. For instance, in my opinion, the Yamaha CLP-170 w/o headphones has an awesome sound (presumably because of its iAFC technology). But, with headphones, I was disappointed, it was pretty ordinary, and I preferred the sound of others with headphones that I did not like as much w/o headphones and vice-versa. Confusing huh! I'm sure there are many reasons for this such as speaker placement and amps, room size and acoustics etc. However, as one of the main reasons stated by many who purchase a digital piano is the need for "quiet" time this may be a relevant observation--though subjective and personal. How important it is in the overall scheme of things depends on you. Deciding on whether you will "perform" with your digital, in which case the sound without headphones would be quite important, as oppossed to using it primarily to practice (with headphones) might be worth some thought. In any event, others have given you good advice on possible options. Whichever you choose, I would give it a good workout with and, if possible, without headphones. Also, if you don't have a good set of headphones there have been threads discussing this which you can access through the search option. Good luck and, "What a dad!!!!!!!!!!"

sp.k.

#665379 - 12/03/03 12:38 PM Re: another digital piano question
JimM Offline

Loc: Northern California
However, the guy at one of the stores I went to told me that in order to install the device, they had to adjust the mechanism which had a negative effect on the action. [/b]

I can confirm this from one other source. I recently bought an acoustic piano and looked into having a silencing rail installed. The dealer (in whom I have a lot of confidence and who sells player systems with silencing rails) said almost exactly this - the action has to be adjusted to work with the mechanism, and that adjustment affects the action even when the silencing rail is not engaged. I decided not to do it.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (accordeur, Adypiano, ajames, ABC Vermonter, 46 invisible), 1915 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156094 Topics
2292179 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
fingering suggestions, please
by riley80
Today at 11:14 AM
Yamaha P105 for outdoors ???
by musicmad
Today at 11:10 AM
Godowsky, Poem No. 1, "Devotion"
by RachFan
Today at 11:09 AM
Help for Newbie
by PianoJill
Today at 10:18 AM
25 Vintage Steinways
by Rich D.
Today at 10:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission