Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#666249 - 01/30/06 09:24 PM I just bought a U1 silent - question about it
Jeffrey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I just got a Mason AA grand. But the apt. I live in does not allow loud sounds before 9 and after 10, when it is sometimes best for me to practice (also other family members sleep then, too.)

I tried the Piano Disc system in the store, but I feel it alters the touch too much. I also had a mute pedal on a Schulze-Pollman upright, but never used it (too soft for me, too loud for sleeping family members). I looked at Clavinovas, but didn't like them. Then I tried a new Yamaha U1 at a local dealer, with a silent feature. It works really well, the touch is altered only the slightest bit. The sound is a sampled Yammie concert grand. I really think Yamaha put some serious engineering into their silent-play system for acoustic pianos. I highly recommend people thinking of digital pianos for silent practice to look at them.

The price, however, was above a Clavinova, and I had just shelled out the big bucks for a new Mason AA. I called Ori of Allegro Pianos (the dealer who sold me the AA) to ask him about these systems and what he thought of them and just by chance he had later 1990's USA-bought, home-use U1 in trade with a silent feature, for a good used U1 price, with dealer backing. This is now my second piano.

I have one or two questions, however. First, the piano is from 1996. How much has the silent play system improved since 1996, if at all? Second, there is a "midi out" section of the electronics. All the piano currently has is a single, sampled Yammie grand output, using 1996 technology. Would a newer midi device give me any better sound, over a 1996 silent play Yammie? I could put a new Roland or Yamaha sound generator on the piano. Would that likely improve the basic piano sound, and if so by how much? The harpsichord and organ features are interesting, but not really essential to me. The sound is just fine for what it is, but I wonder if for a few hundred dollars, I could have more options?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows about such things.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#666250 - 02/02/06 04:42 PM Re: I just bought a U1 silent - question about it
FogVilleLad Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Jeffrey,

SteveY and Rodney both post frequently on the digital forum. Both could probably help with this one. You may want to PM them.

CC2's MUSE solution is much more than you want to pay, and the kind of setup that I and many others use requires a reasonably fast computer (PIII is OK, PIV is better for large piano libraries). If you wouldn't mind connecting to a computer that you already own, you could do what you want to for c.$400, including a good soundcard, more RAM, and a "standalone" piano app.

Because of a problem with my digital piano that Bachmann tech support can't figure out, I'm actually using my computer's included audio codec, "wrapped" in a free utility called ASIO4ALL. I plug the Sennheiser HD580's into the computer's audio out and get suprisingly good audio quality.

One confusion: you mention MIDI Out, but no MIDI In. I didn't know that that was possible. There is another type of connection called ToHost, but normally I think that MIDI requires two jacks on your board.

I'm afraid that I raised as many issues as I spoke to. Let's hope others weigh in here or respond to PM's.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
Today at 02:59 PM
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
Today at 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
Today at 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
Today at 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
Today at 11:42 AM
Who's Online
157 registered (accordeur, ajames, 36251, 49 invisible), 1747 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76379 Members
42 Forums
157892 Topics
2318881 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission