Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#667770 - 02/08/03 05:08 PM MUST READ - CASIO PS20!!!! WOW!!!!
rich_dup1 Offline

Loc: NM
WOW!!! Where do I begin? When it came time to buy a digital piano for my studio (and for my son!) I looked high and low for the best digipiano, but with a reasonable cost in mind. I played on some Steinways and high-end Yamaha grand and concert grands to really get a feel for accurate and proper-muscle building play (for my son). After several months of research, and playing all of the finest digital pianos out there - yamaha, korg, roland, kurzweil, kawai, I happened across the Casio PS20. Well, as expected, no one in town had one to demo, so the research began. Now, let's face it, I first heard of Casio back in the early 1980s when my brother bought a watch that had a calculator built in. That was my only memory of Casio. That, and cheesy, plasticky keyboards that had "over 100 sounds" and a "drum bank"...you know what I'm talking about.

I talked to several different music store "digital piano gurus" and all of them laughed their faces off and pushed the Roland RD150 or Korg SP200 or Yamaha P80. I tried all of those and really liked the action on the Yamaha the best. After some more research in the "overseas" markets, BBS, www sites, review magazines, etc., I found that the Casio PS20 is truly the diamond in the rough. Mine just came in today, and I've had to pull myself off the thing to get some errands done. It is....by far....the best Digi Piano for the ~$1000 range. (Mine was only $689 from Musician's Buy and that included shipping and a basic set of headphones!!!) So it's the cheapest, but it's not cheap. The piano has a very substantive feel to it and the keys are to die for. The graded hammer-action is superior to Yamaha's and the ZPi technology gives me goosebumps when I recall how the Steinway sounded! (No, it's not a Steinway, duh, but it sure has a wonderful acoustic sound! Each and every nuance is there!)

There are some minuses.

1) The piano is heavy, 57 lbs., but it feels solid.

2) There are limited sounds (no strings, chorus, etc., etc.) but for me, it's the grand piano that I was after and a real-feeling action.

It's tops as I said before. The adjustments to the how the keys play (OFF, LIGHT, NORMAL, HEAVY),transposing options, sound changes, and EQs, etc., are absolutely great. The speakers are not the best, but they work. I'm going to purchase a nice set of speakers to really let this piano shine. (The headphones are more accurate as to the sound) Also, it has dual headphones so I can work with my son on our practice lessons. It's really a stunning piece to look at too! (I didn't buy the matching stand.)

Well, to sum it up, those of you who are wondering, is Casio serious about this DigiPiano thing or just building "keyboards", write me, and fire away with the questions. I am truly impressed with the quality, look, feel, action, sound, and overall "almost acoustic" presence of this piano.

My background: 30+ years in music. 13 as a songwriter, 10 as a composer. I play the piano, guitar, bass, drums, some woodwinds, and sing. Not a brag sheet, but I've been in music for a long time and I know the "other brands" out there competing with the Casio. I've been involved with recording for about 11 years now. My current project - contemporary classical music with a "twist".

Love to hear from anyone who needs help getting into the digital thing!

God Bless,

Rich :p

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#667771 - 02/10/03 06:58 PM Re: MUST READ - CASIO PS20!!!! WOW!!!!
AntonGranik Offline

Loc: russia/moscow
Yep! Congratulations!!! We are the brothers in arms! \:D I've bought Casio as well!
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000176

#667772 - 02/20/03 12:40 AM Re: MUST READ - CASIO PS20!!!! WOW!!!!
sleepyinseattle Offline

We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of our Casio AP-25 which I suspect has the same guts as the PS-20. I can understand most people's reservations when they hear the name Casio. It looks to me however that they are serious about being a serious contender in the entry-level digital piano niche. Ours was about $850 out the door.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
122 registered (alfstan, Abby Pianoman, AmateurBob, ajames, 44 invisible), 1443 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75528 Members
42 Forums
156186 Topics
2293558 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Toyama Piano- A Year On.
by TheAccompanist
1 minute 8 seconds ago
Frederick Historical Piano Benefit Concert - July 29 2014
by Terrytunes
15 minutes 6 seconds ago
Using a (continuous) sustain pedal as expression
by barmassimo
34 minutes 8 seconds ago
PianoDiscs and Synthesia
by pianistfromSG
51 minutes 29 seconds ago
[AMAZING PIANO COMP.] Anyone able to transcribe it from ear?
by Weakky
51 minutes 50 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission