2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#668478 12/13/01 01:15 PM
G
gibbyd Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I've decided to keep my Roland KR4500. Can anyone enlighten me as to what a tone generator will do for a digital piano and what brand, model would be recommended for the non-professional. Thanks.

#668479 12/14/01 11:12 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
A tone generator (also called a "tone module", "synth module", or just "module") is essentially a synthesizer in a box. It has all the sounds of a normal synthesizer without the keyboard mechanism. This makes for great portability and also allows the manufacturer to produce them at a lower price point. Some tone modules are entry-level in their quality while others are state-of-the-art technology. Any MIDI keyboard can "trigger" the sounds in a tone module. Think of it like a "remote control". Your keyboard (the remote) is playing the sounds located in the tone module. You can then either layer the sound of your keyboard with the module's sound (such as piano and strings) or replace the keyboard's sounds entirely. This is a great way to keep your keyboard up to date. An electronic keyboard becomes obsolete not long after you open the box. While replacing a keyboard every year or two is cost prohibitive for just about everyone, it's not out of the question to add a tone module to your set-up every now and then. These days, a lot of modules are now even expandable which then allows you to add on to the module at a later date instead of replacing it.
A real-life example: I play professionally, and often travel for gigs where I only need a modest synth set-up. I don't even bring a keyboard with me. I ask the venue to supply a MIDI keyboard with weighted keys. I then just bring a little module either in a small rack or even in my suitcase or carry-on. I don't even plug the venue's keyboard into the sound system. I only use my sounds (from the module). It's truly a great way to travel lite.
I know that's probably not your application, but it does illustrate the usefulness of tone modules.
Hope that helps.

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
#668480 12/14/01 11:16 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I forgot to mention that tone modules run anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a couple thousand dollars. The sonic quality, variety of sounds, expandability and programmability are all factors in the pricing. I have a Roland JV-1010 that is only about $500 and is fantastic. I also have a Roland XV5080 that is about $2000, also a fantastic instrument, but is much more suited to someone whose needs are more complex.

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission