Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#668630 - 04/19/08 10:01 AM "Key Grease" What is it? Where to buy it.
PlatonicSolid Offline

Loc: CT-USA
"Key Grease" What is it? Where to buy it. I've searched the forums and googled the question with little result. (Actually, that's what led to my discovery, and membership, of this forum). I'm restoring a Roland RD-300s (see picture in this thread: Are air canisters safe to use on a DP? ). I've seen some here recommend Lithium grease, but I'm reluctant to use something of that low viscosity (very thin). I have spoken to Roland and they would be happy to sell me a tub of their mistery-goo (no that's not what it's actually called and the Roland guy didn't have any name for it other than "pink key grease" - note that an alternate "blue key grease" was also available) for $72 (which is probably enough to do 1,000 keyboards and I only want to do one.) Anyone have any sources for a small amount of the right stuff ?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#668631 - 04/19/08 01:47 PM Re: "Key Grease" What is it? Where to buy it.
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago Suburban
I don't know where the grease is used. Does it need to have specific dielectric properties, or is it just a mechanical lubricant? We have a material science lab at work. If I knew what I was asking for, I could ask them.

#668632 - 04/19/08 02:36 PM Re: "Key Grease" What is it? Where to buy it.
PlatonicSolid Offline

It is applied to the black plastic guides that ride inside each plastic key. It's super slick, so slick in fact if you try to hold the plastic piece with a pair of needle-nose pliers it just falls out. My guess is it is some form of teflon. You can see the white stuff on the black plastic guides in this picture:

#668633 - 04/19/08 02:41 PM Re: "Key Grease" What is it? Where to buy it.
PlatonicSolid Offline

No specific dielectric properties required - it's purely mechanical.

#668634 - 04/19/08 03:46 PM Re: "Key Grease" What is it? Where to buy it.
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PlatonicSolid:
It is applied to the black plastic guides that ride inside each plastic key. [/b]
OK, I get the idea. I'll ask the eggheads at work, someone probably knows.

#668635 - 04/19/08 05:39 PM Re: "Key Grease" What is it? Where to buy it.
playliszt Offline

Loc: Oh/Fla
White Lithium grease should work fine.

Will reduce friction and shouldn't get runny under any operating temperatures the keybed would be subject to.

#668636 - 04/19/08 06:53 PM Re: "Key Grease" What is it? Where to buy it.
BeowulfX Offline

It probably has something to do with lessening friction as the keys are depressed to provide a smoother action...so it works as a lubricant then for a smoother action in depressing keys (possibly even during the release of a key as it returns to its original "un-depressed" key).

I'm wondering however, how this "smoother feel" due to less friction would be during the summer when temperature is high and during winter when temperature is low?...I presume that due to certain properties of the grease the key depression might be a little heavier during cold weather or low temperature than during warmer temperatures (during summers maybe).

I have a couple of questions though:

1) in time, basing it on the RD-300 that you have currently, how much of the grease appear to have been "integrated" (or solidified or even somewhat dried up) into the black supporting plastic guides leading to a need in re-application of "key grease"

2) since you've opened up an RD-300 currently, could you at least let us in some inside, "first-hand" info if it actually has "springs" in them?...I mean under each individual key that would sort of help the keys return to their original position after being depressed...I'm just curious \:D
PX-5S PC361 PX-320 Graphite 49 Pianoteq 4.5-Standard+Bluethner EWQL Symphonic Orchestra & some additional VSTi X1222FX B1030A KS40A DAW: AMD PhIIx4 16GB DDR3 1TB+1TB+120GB-SSD Audiobox E-MU XMIDI 2x2 Sonar 8 Pearl Acoustic Drumset
Contemplating on: Yamaha MOXF6, Korg Kronos X61 or Roland FA-06

#668637 - 04/20/08 02:03 PM Re: "Key Grease" What is it? Where to buy it.
PlatonicSolid Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BeowulfX:
1) in time, basing it on the RD-300 that you have currently, how much of the grease appear to have been "integrated" (or solidified or even somewhat dried up) into the black supporting plastic guides leading to a need in re-application of "key grease"
None of the grease shows any sign of solidifying, drying or degrading in any way. As this is a complete disassembly, and since some dust migrated to the grease during disassembly, I'd prefer to thoroughly wash all the plastic pieces - then apply new key grease. At the moment I have all the guides in a sealed plastic bag - grease intact - until I find the right stuff. I will not use lithium grease as I'm reasonably confident that it's not what this is.
 Quote:
Originally posted by BeowulfX:
2) since you've opened up an RD-300 currently, could you at least let us in some inside, "first-hand" info if it actually has "springs" in them?...I mean under each individual key that would sort of help the keys return to their original position after being depressed...I'm just curious [Big Grin]
Yes, there are springs inside each key. I will put together a web page with a complete collection of step by step pictures when I'm done. I will create a new thread with a link to this new page and post it in this forum.

#668638 - 04/22/08 01:47 PM Re: "Key Grease" What is it? Where to buy it.
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member

I talked to the materials guys at work, they suggested using a dry silicon or teflon lubricant. Avoid any petroleum based product unless it specifically states it's OK for that type of plastic. They said some kinds of white lithium grease are safe for plastics, but not all plastics, so probably best to avoid it. They suggested dry teflon as the first choice to avoid attracting dust and grit, but here's a grease form of teflon:

Teflon Grease

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (accordeur, antony, 42 invisible), 1446 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153533 Topics
2249973 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Love More" Chris Brown and Nicki Minaj - Piano Cover
by Zach Evans
14 minutes 59 seconds ago
Sheet music for Philip Glass's etudes?
by Eldridge
59 minutes 9 seconds ago
Charles Walters piano
by Colleen05
Today at 07:05 PM
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
Today at 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 01:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission