Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#669070 - 10/20/04 06:34 PM Viscount Sonata
Pianocchio Offline

Loc: Goodyear, AZ
I'm looking for opinions on Viscount's digital piano the "Sonata". Has anyone here played one? How does it compare to other digitals like Yamaha's CLP170?

Thank you for an input you can offer.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#669071 - 10/21/04 03:02 AM Re: Viscount Sonata
fogwall Offline

Loc: Sweden
The Sonata has 32 MB of internal samples which is not much compared to CLP170 which has 128 MB.

As I haven't myself tried the Viscount Sonata (simply as there are no resellers nearby) I can't tell if the keyboard action is better or worse than CLP170. The Sonata has a wooden keyboard and with the new iMotion samples technique for even timbre so it should be at least as good.

The piano sound is otherwise superior in the Sonata because it is equipped with very nice physical modelling features such as string resonance and damper effect. You can even hear the distinct sounds of the pedal as you press it up and down. In this respect, the CLP170 is far behind.

For more in-depth information on modelling, visit my piano page .

#669072 - 10/21/04 05:23 AM Re: Viscount Sonata
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
I was extremely unimpressed with the Viscount keyboards I played at NAMM. I think they're kind of a non-player in the industry. I'd feel much better about musicality & reliability of a Yamaha, Korg or Roland product.

#669073 - 10/21/04 11:18 AM Re: Viscount Sonata
Pianocchio Offline

FogWall,

Thanks for the info =) I actually have visited your site, it is where I've gotten nearly all the info I had previous to posting this message. I must apologize, I somehow overlooked much of the information you offered about Viscount (I only noticed the blurb next to the picture of the Sonata). The Sonata is sounding better and better as I learn more, it is also less expensive and more attractive than the CLP170.

While I have your attention: Do you know why the Yamaha GT20 was discontinued in the US? Or was it never sold in the US?

Thank you very much for your help.

Steve,

When you say keyboard, do you mean the keyboard on the digital piano, or Viscount portable keyboards?

#669074 - 10/21/04 01:22 PM Re: Viscount Sonata
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

All of the above. I played several "products" at NAMM 2004. I thought they were pretty lousy when compared with other manufacturers.

#669075 - 10/21/04 02:35 PM Re: Viscount Sonata
fogwall Offline

Pianocchio: I cannot answer that question, sorry. They did have a GT15 for a while too, cheaper than GT20.

#669076 - 10/21/04 09:58 PM Re: Viscount Sonata
Pianocchio Offline

Steve,

Thanks for the feedback, i'll definitely keep that in mind.

Fog,

Quite alright =) Have you played a GranTouch, by any chance? I can get it online (shipped from Europe) for about $5,000US(plus possible customs fees) I'm trying to decide if I should do that, or just get a CLP locally. I really love the way the GranTouch looks and sounds, and I believe it is considered to have the best touch?

#669077 - 10/21/04 11:35 PM Re: Viscount Sonata
fogwall Offline

Yes, I tried the GT2 once. It is hard to criticize the touch of a GranTouch, simply because the keyboard is absolutely authentic. That is the really good thing about it apart from the slick design. The piano sound is not bad either even though, for that price, it should be even better and with some physical modelling added.

Perhaps you should also have a look at a Valdesta C-500 which you can buy for less than half the price in USA.

#669078 - 10/22/04 08:17 AM Re: Viscount Sonata
Pianocchio Offline

Thanks for all your help, Fog =) I'll definitely have a look at the C-500 as well.

#669079 - 10/22/04 10:30 AM Re: Viscount Sonata
Moonbat Offline

Loc: Bristol, England
"The piano sound is otherwise superior in the Sonata because it is equipped with very nice physical modelling features such as string resonance and damper effect"

According to the link below the CLP170 does include string resonance, though i'm not sure how much 'modelling' would be involved.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Cont...TRIBUTE,00.html

#669080 - 10/22/04 11:21 AM Re: Viscount Sonata
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I just checked Viscount's web site. I didn't find a single reference to "physical modeling" technology. The "iMotion" technology that was referenced is never identified as utilizing "modeling".

I get the impression that most folks around here don't know the difference between "sampling" and "modeling" technology. Perhaps that should be a new thread?

#669081 - 10/22/04 12:25 PM Re: Viscount Sonata
fogwall Offline

OK, let me clear things up for you Steve.

iMotion is a new feature in the Viscount models which evens up the timber, reminding of Generalmusic's FADE engine. It is indeed a modelling technique (which combines samples with
an algorithmic software program).

iMotion itself is just a feature which was added to their IS4 modelling.

#669082 - 10/22/04 02:08 PM Re: Viscount Sonata
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Fogwall,
I don't want to appear argumentative, but I'm wondering if you could clear this up by presenting a definition of acoustic or physical modeling technology (especially as to how it differs from sample-based technology)?

#669083 - 10/23/04 12:16 AM Re: Viscount Sonata
fogwall Offline

Well, Steve, I'm no expert in modelling technologies but I do know that physical modelling is based on complex mathemathical formulas performed by a DSP unit. The purpose is to simulate the true behaviour which samples alone can not achieve, alternatively, in order to avoid excessive use of samples.

Sampling technology is, as far as I know, more of representing the true sound based on certain static conditions.

I you are not happy with this answer I would gladly discuss this further in a separate thread.

#669084 - 10/23/04 03:34 PM Re: Viscount Sonata
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Actually, that's a pretty decent definition, Fogwall.

Modeling Instrument: a very powerful processor recreates the waveform of an instrument in real-time with various nuances specific to that instrument. No samples are used.

Sample-based Instrument: digital recordings or "samples" are played back in real-time with various nuances specific to that instrument created by velocity switching and layering.

Modeling technology has great potential in that it's not limited to the number of sample layers to mirror the expression of the player. However, because of the considerable processor speed needed as well as some speed bumps in the implementation, no one has really perfected a modeled piano yet (GEM is getting close, however). Guitar, drum and even organ manufacturers have already released some great products using physical or acoustic modeling (Line 6, Roland V-drums, Roland VK organs, Native instruments plug-ins, etc.).

My concern around for this board is that people are throwing around the term "modeling" when in fact, the technology is sample-based. It's misleading when a manufacturer (or a poster here) says that a digital piano has features that "model" string resonance, etc. when it's not. Awhile back, we had a guy who claimed that the Yamaha P series keyboards utilized modeling technology. A representative from Yamaha posted here to correct that false assumption:

Quote:
The sound generation technology in the P-series is sample based.

The ONLY part of this that could be considered "modeled" is the way that the Harmonic Resonance responds in the P250 and PF500. This "response" uses samples to create illusion of real sympathetic vibrations.

This would have nothing to do with any kind of sound generation technology which Yamaha has explored in products like the VL1 and VL70m.

Mike Martin
Yamaha
Modeling technology is in its infancy in the keyboard world. Most of the major manufacturers have not yet created a piano sound using modeling, instead relying on sample-based sounds. I'm highly skeptical that a fringe company that makes budget products such as Viscount is ahead of the curve.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (accordeur, 36251, Alkanaut, 40 invisible), 1726 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74215 Members
42 Forums
153524 Topics
2249806 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
22 minutes 38 seconds ago
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
Today at 10:50 AM
Piano Composition + a Drawing
by leandrobrunapiano
Today at 10:50 AM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 09:37 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
Today at 09:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission