Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#669458 - 08/11/04 03:26 PM An Roland-RD150 Replacement
andrewcharnley Offline

Huy guys,

I've had an RD150 while I've been learning piano for a couple years and have decided that I can no longer put up with what I feel is a light, non progressive, action which makes me unable to express myself. Everything sounds fortissimo!

The piano sound is ok but doesn't have the same reality as what a Steinberg or the clavinovas have.

My friend had a Yamy very similar to the YDP-223 but nearing 7-10 years old and with only two pedals, though I can't find the model on the net. It sounded amazing compared to the Rd150 and the action was far better.

So now I'm looking at buying a P90 or P120. The only things that matter are a great grand piano sound and and accurate keyboard.

Please advise whether I'm going to get these things from a P90 or P120, which would be better (I prefer a true sound, duller and connected - not shitty rock/pop pianos) or if I should save and go for the P250.

I also looked at the RD700, but it seems Yamaha are the way to go for what I'm after.

Help please!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#669459 - 08/11/04 03:33 PM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
andrewcharnley Offline

Update, with the sound I really liked was an YDP-121.

#669460 - 08/11/04 07:47 PM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
I'd suggest the RD700 w/Concert Grand expansion board. It will have the "true" sound you're looking for as opposed to the brighter Yamaha sound.

#669461 - 08/11/04 10:18 PM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The Yamaha P250 for acoustic piano simulation is perhaps the best. It has "sympathetic string resonace" (more overtones). Try the piano in it called "Mellow Piano", the notes are round and clear.

The P120 is not as legato, nor does it have as much clarity as the P250. The P90 sounds like a dull copy of the P250 and has even less clarity than the P120, though it does play legato better than the P120. Neither the P120 or the P90 has the "sympathetic string resonance" that the P250 has.

#669462 - 08/12/04 12:37 AM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
 Quote:
Originally posted by SteveY:
I'd suggest the RD700 w/Concert Grand expansion board. It will have the "true" sound you're looking for as opposed to the brighter Yamaha sound. [/b]
Ha! Rather than "true" I would describe the piano expansion as "overly compressed and rather dull" ;\)

Ryan

#669463 - 08/12/04 04:19 AM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
andrewcharnley Offline

The action of the RD150 is good but far too light, I need something heavier like a real piano.

I've determined I'll go for a P90 over a P120 as I'm uninterested in bright piano. I think I'm going to stretch for the P250. It has to be as realistic as it gets.

The RD700 looks too synth like for me, plus if the lightness is anything like the RD150 I'll instantly hate it.

So between the RD700 and P250 which

a) has the heaviest, proper action
b) has the best grand piano, legato and true, sound

-- everything else means nothing!

Cheers, Andy.

#669464 - 08/12/04 04:20 AM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
andrewcharnley Offline

Also, how would you compare RD150 Piano 1 to the sound of the grand 1 of P90/P120/P250?

#669465 - 08/12/04 04:22 AM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
andrewcharnley Offline

Think Nora Jones piano and that's the sound and dynamics I want.

#669466 - 08/12/04 05:07 AM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
helenh Offline

Loc: Rangoon, Burma
If you do not need the portability of the P250 some others on the forum have suggested there are good deals on the PF500 in the US which is almost the same but more a home piano format (like a CLP150 but in more comtemporary style).
I'm not in the US so can't comment on the pricing there but love my own Australian bought PF500-and got a much better deal here than I would have on a P250, at least $Aus1000 less.

#669467 - 08/12/04 06:01 AM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Although I play synth, I'm mainly a piano player. I have a Steinway B in my home which is truly my dream piano. I've chosen the Roland piano sounds as I find them to be the most natural sounding. I find the action to be quite playable, although quite honestly I'm not fond of any digital's action (including the Yamaha).

#669468 - 08/12/04 07:25 AM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Although I play synth, I'm mainly a piano player. [/b]
Me too. I play on Steinway Bs and concert grands all the time even though I own a Petrof III. I've been playing on Steinways for 25 years. In fact, I will be performing Brahms Bb Piano Concerto sometime in October or November on either a NY or Hamburg Steinway concert grand.

Quote:
I've chosen the Roland piano sounds as I find them to be the most natural sounding.[/b]
I have never liked Roland piano sounds, although I keep trying them. To me the Yamaha piano sound are more natural and responds much more like a real piano. It seems like Yamaha did a better job with their core samples as well as the layering and velocity curves. I don't like all Yamaha piano sounds, though, just their top of the line sounds like the P250.

Quote:
...quite honestly I'm not fond of any digital's action (including the Yamaha). [/b]
Me either. I would choose to play a decent acoustic piano over a digital any day of the week. I feel like I can do so much more on a real piano.

Ryan

#669469 - 08/12/04 02:11 PM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
andrewcharnley Offline

The PF-500 looks perfect only its discontinued in the UK and I can't find anyone selling one.

I take it this is same feature set as the P250 and includes string resonance (which the P90 & 120 do not)?

#669470 - 08/12/04 02:14 PM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
andrewcharnley Offline

I mean't sympathetic or harmonic resonance (P250)
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/6/433.html

#669471 - 09/01/04 08:52 PM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Although I play synth, I'm mainly a piano player. I have a Steinway B in my home which is truly my dream piano. I've chosen the Roland piano sounds as I find them to be the most natural sounding. I find the action to be quite playable, although quite honestly I'm not fond of any digital's action (including the Yamaha). [/b]
You may have me here... I've been giving the Fantom and Fantom X another chance and there is something about the warmth and dimension of the sound that has become very appealing to my ears recently. Early on I more appreciated the clarity of Yamaha sound and for some things that is still true, but over time it has been sounding more bright and thin to me, especially in mixes. I may jump ship yet... \:\)

Ryan

#669472 - 09/01/04 10:55 PM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
80k Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
keep in mind that the P90 only has sustain pedal. there is no option for sustenato or soft pedals. that might end up being a serious limitation for you.

The P120 is what i have. there is a high pitched ringing sound on a few notes that bothers me, but i think i'm starting to get used to it. The only other option i would consider is the P250, but that is 71 lbs (as opposed to the P120 which is 41 lbs). The P250 felt and sounded much better.

I really disliked the Rolands (FP-2 and FP-5). I was considering exchanging the P120 (due to the ringing) for a Roland, but I couldn't deal with the light keys.

#669473 - 09/02/04 09:53 AM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
Matt Knight Offline

Loc: Spokane, WA
If you are serious about great sound and looking at a Yamaha check out the CLP line. The clp 150 and 170 have great sound and fantastic action. They are a little bit more money but it is mopney well spent if you aren't replacing the piano every two years because it is driving you crazy. If you are thinking Nora Jones then Yamaha is the way to go she is a Yamaha Artist.

Matt

#669474 - 09/02/04 10:05 AM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

But I don't think she plays a clp. In fact, I know she doesn't...

#669475 - 09/02/04 11:06 AM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
Tpm24530 Offline

Loc: CT
regarding 80k's comments. I currently am trying to decide between the P120 and the Roland FP-5. Its for my kids, and none of us plays piano. Do you feel the shortcomings - high pitched ring in the Yamaha, or the light feel in the Roland will make any difference at this level?
Thanks.
P.S. I really like the session partner in the Roland but it may end up being one of those seldom used features.

#669476 - 09/02/04 11:39 AM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
80k Offline

Tpm24530,

Some people totally are not bothered by the ring (if they even hear it), others find it annoying (like myself), and some find it completely unacceptable. Definitely try before you buy it, because if it bothers you, it can potentially be a real nuisance for you.

As for Roland's FP-5, i really didn't like that one at all. It might be something you can get used to, but I found it really hard to be expressive on it. The keys were light and just didn't feel good to me. I would never consider that keyboard, but others find it to be suitable, and many even prefer it to the action of the Yamaha's (claiming the Yamaha's are too heavy).

If you like the sound of the Yamaha, I think it feels much more like a real piano, and it is better to get used to the heavier action of a real piano, in my opinion. If you can spring for the P250, that is an absolutely awesome keyboard.

#669477 - 09/02/04 12:38 PM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
Tpm24530 Offline

Loc: CT
80k. which notes should I be primarily checking and does it only happen when you play loud and do i have to hold the key down to get here it etc. remember, i know very little so tell me the easiest way to replicate the ringing. Thanks!

#669478 - 09/02/04 12:49 PM Re: An Roland-RD150 Replacement
80k Offline

Tpm24530,

On the P120...

Use the Piano 1 voice. And then look on the panel for the voice that says "E Bass" (don't select it, this is just a reference point).

Now play the F, F#, and G that is right below the button that says "E Bass".

Now hit it hard, and sustain it (either with the pedal or with your finger). Compare it to the other notes. Those 3 notes are the worst. If you don't sustain the note, you won't really hear it clearly, since it appears upon the sustain.

Try it with the volume pretty high up. And then try it again with nice headphones (ask the salesman to bring you a pair of nice ones that cover the ears).

Try to play a song or a phrase that uses the pedal and hits one of those 3 notes really loudly. If your ears are like mine, you will notice the ring to come out really prominently.

Hopefully it doesn't bother you because the P120 is an otherwise very very nice keyboard.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Typical % markup on price dealer pays for a piano
by pianoloverus
10 minutes 46 seconds ago
calling all users of Ivory II American D
by dire tonic
Today at 08:29 AM
Staying in one position for too long - tension
by DeadPoets
Today at 06:07 AM
Cleaning strings
by PhilipInChina
Today at 05:10 AM
recording digital piano
by johan d
Today at 03:38 AM
Who's Online
133 registered (anotherscott, ando, anamnesis, ajames, A Guy, accordeur, 26 invisible), 1512 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158411 Topics
2326330 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission