2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#669997 12/23/04 01:20 PM
S
saffron Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm just starting to take up the piano again after I stopped taking lessons in 6th grade - I'm 22 now. I want a digital piano, and I've spent a few days reading posts on this and other sites looking for information.

It seems like the Yamaha PF-500 is generally well-favored, so I called my local dealer up to find out his prices. But he told me they don't carry the PF-500, and that it's a flimsy piano you can only get from somewhere like Best Buy. I don't think he's correct, but I'm not real clear on the differences in the Contemporary Piano series and the Clavinova series.

So he's trying to sell me a "demo" CLP-130 that is discounted to $1795. I couldn't find much information on CLPs, so I was wondering if the CLP-130 is comparable to the PF-500 and if his price is good.

What are the differences in purposes between the two?

I've read that the CLPs are more for piano purists, but I'd like to experiment with the digital-ness of a digital piano. The CVP series is really attractive but I can't afford one of those, unfortunately.

For some reason I can't find any place that sells CLPs or CVPs online to check their prices. Yet the P and YDP series are available on multiple sites. Why is that?

Thanks for any insight!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
PF500 is about equivalent to CLP150, better than CLP130. CLP or CVP series are not sold online but by dealers, which means that you have to go to some music store to check them out. you may find PF500 online or at some music stores, but not at BestBuy, because it is way too expensive music instrument for BestBuy. to find information/specs for any Yamaha models, you may visit yamaha site:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Catalog/Catalog_GSMFCX/0,6357,CTID%253D204900%2526CNTYP%253DPRODUCT,00.html

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
The PF500 is essentially a P250 with a stand and 3 pedal assembly built in. The CLP-130 is actually a lower grade instrument with only 64 notes of Poly and less voices. The PF-500 is comparable to a CLP-150.

A PF-500 is actually designed to be a professional studio instrument so Yamaha didn't spend a lot of money putting it into a fake wood cabinet that would look good in someone's living room. If you need the furniture cabinet, get the CLP-150 (althought the CLP-170 does sound a little better), if you are looking for a great studio piano (don't care about looks) get the PF-500, if you need portablility (with a VERY strong back) get the P250. All essentially the same keyboard (some minor differences in amplification ans speakers) but in different cases.

BTW:

The salesman you spoke to is a fraud or an idiot. Run away.... Don't walk!!!

Rodney

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I forgot to answer your final question...

CVP/CLP are the Clavinova line and only selected dealers are allowed to cary them. Those dealers sign an agreement to not publish their prices. The P/PSR/PF/YDP/Motif lines require no special arrangements and can be sold by any Yamaha dealer.

Rodney

J
J
I suggest that you look at the Yamaha P Series Stage Pianos. They are light, portable, and sound superb. I own a Yamaha P120, and in my opinion, it is the finest Stage Piano available.

Chris

M
M
Rodney is absolutely right, the PF-500 is not sold at Best Buy. It is certainly not a flimsy instrument, unless you consider 90 lbs. w/o the stand flimsy.

While it is portable, you would need two people to port it. If portability is a concern, you should take a look at the P250 (which really isn't much more portable), otherwise the PF-550 is a much better deal.
Some may disagree with that statement, but the facts are that while there's a $200 retail difference between the two pianos (the PF-500 being more expensive) the PF-500 comes with an excellent stand and a three pedal unit.

IMO, they both sound great. In fact I don't think there's any difference in sound between the two as they both have 30 watts per channel amplification. I think the PF-500 looks better, but that's rather subjective.

Happy Hunting,

-ms

D
D
Hello,
I am new to the forums and live in Amarillo, Texas. I recently purchased a Clavinova CLP 130 for my 9 year old daughter to continue taking piano lessons, and eventually my 4 year old daughter. The previous piano was not adequate, being non tuneable, and not sounding at all well to play.

The list price for the CLP 130 was about $2700, but paid a sale price of $2000.00 plus $165 tax. I did research on the internet and decided to go with a Yamaha. The local Yamaha dealer had a very limited selection, namely the CLP 120 (list price of about $2200, but sale price of $1800) and CLP 130, excluding the CVP series which was way out of my price line. I was willing to buy online, without testing the models, based on internet reviews. The online models I examined and narrowed my choices to were the YPD223, P250, and PF500. Since the piano would be for my daughters to practice and play on, and be in our living room as a part of the furniture, I decided the YPD223 or the CLP series would be the best options. The YPD goes at $1500 on the internet. I figured $1800 for the CLP 120 or $2000 for the CLP 130 plus tax was the best way to go, since they also hauled off the old, worthless, acoustic piano for free. I also get a 5 year warrenty on the Clavinovas, plus I get to support the local dealer.

David

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission