Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#670830 - 12/19/05 03:49 PM Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
jlucas Offline

Loc: texas
I have come down to these two models. I think the roland goes for around $1600 and yamaha goes for around $1850. Assuming that I am ready to neglect the price difference (not that I want to waste money), could you experts tell me which one I should buy and the reasons. I do not play piano but I understand most of the technical terms talked around here. Also, if some one can talk about the three pedals (available on both these models) and tell me are they the same on both these models?

Piano is for my kids under 10 who are learning piano.

Thanks

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#670831 - 12/19/05 05:23 PM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
Paul Y Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashua, NH
jlucas,

The three pedals are the same on both instruments. They are also the same as you would find on a fine grand piano (same functions).

Reagarding the differences and our suggestions, they are both fine digital pianos! Which one you choose is totally personal.

I don't know when the current generation of Roland digitals came out. I do not carry them. I do carry the Yamaha and the 200-series is only a number of months old. So, it would be the latest technology available. But you should choose the one you like the best (sound, touch and appearance). In our position, the Yamaha might hold it's value a bit better. But there's nothing wrong with choosing the Roland either if you like it better.

(Wow, talk about a flip-flop answer!) How confusing is that?

Good luck.

Paul

#670832 - 12/20/05 02:35 AM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
Schizo Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Jlucas,

I have stand for the same decision about a month ago. I doubted between the HP103 and CLP-whatever, but I have also played on the HP101. I play the piano for 13 years now, and for me the HP101 was too much "digital" in touch. The CLP-230 and other CLP numbers however are somewhat heavy to play on, but that depends on what you are used to. By the way, I liked the CLP-220 better, but thats personal.

Your kids are under 10 you wrote, I would go for the Roland, it is a little easier to play on (not that heavy, but not too light), but is still a good piano. When you are comparing it with Yamaha, you should play on the CLP-115. In Europe we also have the HP102, which might be an even better option, but I thought it is not available in USA.

Here, the prices for HP103 and CLP230 are equal an then I would definetly go for Roland ... Have your kids played on them already? They will probable like the Yamaha more because the greater amount of sounds \:\)

Good luck!

#670833 - 12/20/05 02:45 AM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
Curtis Liao Offline

Loc: Taiwan
Roland HP-101 does not have an on-board recorder. This function is very useful for practice.

The price they quoted are very high for both models.

#670834 - 12/20/05 12:06 PM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
pro_keyboardconsultant Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Roland hp101 came out a few months ago. It has an progressive hammer action and a realistic grand piano sound. Roland records a Steinway & Sons model D (9' Grand)for their piano sound. They have the best piano sound.The 1,600.00 price is a very good one. You can't go wrong with it. It is by far our best selling entry level digital piano we carry.

#670835 - 12/20/05 10:47 PM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
jlucas Offline

Curtis,
You said the price is too high for both models. What is the going price for them in your experience? I was under the impression (I guess for no reason) that what was quoted to me were reasonable price. Now I am second guessing myself. But that is a good thing if it saves some money

#670836 - 12/20/05 10:58 PM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
jlucas Offline

Thanks every one for your informative suggestions and thoughts. I am still not decided (not that it is your fault) on which one to buy. Thanks to you, at least I have verified the 3 pedals do the same on both pianos. So one issue is behind me. The Yamaha dealer had said something like "the pedals on Yamaha are doing something more than the one on Roland". Even though I am reasonably good at these jargons, I could not quite grasp his argument.

Regarding the on-board recorder...I did not know that yamaha had it and roland did not. Well that is useful info.

#670837 - 12/21/05 01:44 AM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
John WI Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
I checked out these two models about two months ago. Of the two, I would definately go for the Yamaha.

However, I think you should also consider the Kawai CN4. It is in the same price range, and has more features that I think would be useful for new players, especially children. Among other things, it has built in recordings of Alfred lessons (for both children and adults), and a 3.5 inch floppy disk.

After comparing the models you mentioned (and others), I bought the CN4 and am very happy with it.

#670838 - 12/21/05 02:18 AM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
Curtis Liao Offline

Loc: Taiwan
My price infomation were mainly through the web, so I probably was wrong.

However, CLP230 in our country (Taiwan) is much cheaper than in States. And I got my Roland KR-7 at the cost equals to two sets of CLP230. That is why my first impression $1850 and $1600 are very high.

I know it is not fair to compare the price for different country, so please ignore my previous post about the price.

HP-101 is the only model in HP series that does not provide on-board recorder.

#670839 - 12/21/05 11:50 PM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
jlucas Offline

John,
Is the CN series of Kawai outdated? I visited one of the shops and asked about the CN series and they told me, it is being replaced by the model that he had there. It was a CP-95. The salesmand did not come across to me as a knowledgeble guy. When I checked the website of Kawai, I could see both these models. So I am a bit confused

#670840 - 12/21/05 11:57 PM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
jlucas Offline

John,
I forgot to ask, How much you had to pay for the the CN4 if you dont mind or you could email me. Also, you said it has more features. Could you tell me more about it. Now I am seriously thinking about Kawai

#670841 - 12/22/05 10:05 PM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
John WI Offline

The CN4 is Kawai's newest digital piano; it came out earlier this year (2005). I got my CN4 for $1,895 plus $75 delivery charge and $108 state sales tax. After doing a lot of shopping around, I thought that was an excellent price. You may have trouble matching it.

Here is what I wrote on this forum in early November when it was delivered:

"On Friday my new Kawai CN 4 was delivered. I have been enjoying it ever since.

For over a month, I compared various digital pianos (especially the Yamaha Clavinova 240, the Kawai CN 4 and CA 5, and the Roland HP 103) focussing finally on the Yamaha Clavinova 240 and the Kawai CN 4. In the end, I decided that the Kawai CN 4 was the best digital piano for me.

I found that both the CN 4 and the Clavinova 240 had very good sound and touch. Both have two 40 watt amplifiers good speakers and good key action. The Kawai CN 4 and CA 5 have 96 polyphony, while the Clavinova 240 and the Roland HP 103 have 64 polyphony.

But, I liked the CN 4 better mainly because of it's features.

I am a beginning student in the middle of Alfred's All-in-One Adult course book. The Kawai CN 4 has a "lesson" function which includes all the songs from that book (and the corresponding Alfred children's books). You can play each song from the books at varying tempos (so that you can learn the song at a slower tempo). And you can also play only one hand part (right or left) so that you can accompany, and learn, with the other hand. You can also use what they call the A-B loop. This means you can select a portion of the song and have that portion played back repeatedly. I think this is a great learning tool for those using these Alfred books.

Both the Clavinova and the Kawai have two track, three song internal recorders which are useful for recording your own playing.

But in addition, the CN 4 has a 3.5" "floppy" disk drive so that you can play any pre-recorded music disk or record your own playing on a blank disk. Also, when playing the disk you can select the song to be played, vary the tempo, and play back only portions of the song (the A-B loop thing) -- repeatedly. I think this disk drive is even more useful than the "Alfred Inside" feature described above. After all, built-in lessons are only useful as long as you are on that particular beginner book. But, the disk drive allows you to play any pre-recorded disk. Most lesson books have optional 3.5" disks that you can purchase to accompany the book. This means that you can use these disks as a learning aid after you have moved beyond the basic beginner book or if you use a different instruction book. I think that the CN 4 may be the least expensive digital piano with a disk drive.

Of course the CN 4, like all digital pianos, also has many different "voices" or instrument sounds that you can play. Both the CN 4 and the Clavinova 240 have USB "to host" connections and MIDI in, out, and through connections. The Clavinova also has a USB "to device" connection which would be useful in some circumstances.

Another advantage of the CN 4 over the Clavinova 240 was price. On sale, I could get the Clavinova 240 for $2,250; while I bought the Kawai CN 4 on sale for under $2,000. The Clavinova warranty is a little better: 1 year labor and 5 year parts, compared with 1 year labor and 3 year parts for the Kawai models. But, I think most problems (especially electronic ones) will develop in the first year or so.

I encourage everyone, especially beginning students, who are in the market for a digital piano to check out the Kawai CN 4, along with other models. I am very happy with mine."

#670842 - 12/22/05 10:40 PM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
jlucas Offline

Thanks John. That was a very useful essay. Thanks again, I am glad that I did a posting here.

#670843 - 12/23/05 10:57 PM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
John WI Offline

By the way, I'd stay away from the salesman who told you that the CN 4 was being replaced by the "new" CP-95. The CP-95 came out in 2003 and is a different kind of piano -- an ensemble piano -- one that can play accompaniement to your playing. Dealers often cannot keep all models in stock and will try to sell what they have, whether it meets your needs or not.

Here is a link to reviews of Kawai pianos: http://www.keyboardplayer.com/manufacturer.php?manufacturer=Kawai Unfortunately, the reviews are not free you have to buy them. I bought the review for the CN 4; it was pretty good. By looking at the dates of the reviews, you can estimate when the model came out (usually a couple months earlier).

Also for a description of the complete line Kawai digital pianos by category, see: http://www.thepianoman.ltd.uk/kawai_d.php

Finally, if you want to see why the 3.5" disc is NOT outdated with regard to digital pianos, see: http://www.chicagopianos.com/floppy-disks.htm

After Christmas may be a good time to get a good price, though you may want to get it as a Christmas present. Good luck to you.

#670844 - 12/28/05 12:25 PM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
jlucas Offline

Thanks John. If I am not misinterpreting, you are saying the floppy drive is available only on the Kawai and not on the clavinova. I looked the brochure for the Clavinova and I could not find any reference to floppy drive. Please verify my conclusions are correct

#670845 - 12/28/05 01:47 PM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
John WI Offline

You are correct.

#670846 - 12/29/05 09:36 PM Re: Roland HP-101 or Yamaha CLP-230 ?
pro_keyboardconsultant Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
yeah the Alfred lessons built in is very cool. I can't believe no one ever thought of that before.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
72 registered (Andrey, AndrewAJC, AZNpiano, A Guy, AmateurBob, 28 invisible), 1112 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75353 Members
42 Forums
155804 Topics
2287761 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Personal monitors
by Tim K
07/12/14 02:55 AM
Happy Birthday Transcription for the Organ
by musdan
07/12/14 01:41 AM
Casio PX5S. No soft pedal?
by Indra123
07/12/14 12:36 AM
Studio Monitor Info -- Zzounds
by Charles Cohen
07/11/14 11:42 PM
Pictures of my VPC1 setup!
by newbies
07/11/14 11:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission