Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#670968 - 07/10/03 09:13 AM Yamaha CVP207 vs. Technics 804 (USB)
PianoDan Offline

Loc: Chicago Area
Wow. The last 8 days we've had an education in confusion. Started wanting a digital piano for three purposes:

* Daughters with 3 and 1 year of lessons under belt and vintage upright acoustic piano in storage for 6-9 months. Need to keep them playing on a realistic instrument.

* Amazed by motivation/fun available - kids karaoke, other voices, rhythms vs. metronomes for exercises, etc. The girls love 'em!

* Dad (me) regularaly arranges for contemporary worship at church. Want to use with Cakewalk to score vocal and instrumental parts. Interested in using to burn audio CD's for rehearsal. Also interested in composition and helping daughters learn some composition and theory with recording/sequencing.

First question - how important is the USB connection to get .wav or .mp3 files of the actual audio to CD vs. just MIDI instructions that will sound like cheese from a basic computer soundcard - essential?

Next - we LOVE the touch/feel and piano sound of the Yamaha, but think the other voices are less than the Technics. Technics seems a bit more intuitive in the controls, but (we think) lacks some of the richness of the Yamaha. Technics is a deal at $5K plus tax, etc. Yamaha 207 is also on sale at $5K or $5500 if wait for the 208 w/USB in a couple weeks. 210 is beautiful in polished ebony but is $7300 and doesn't seem to add much in features beyond the cabinet. We started at a $2500 - $3000 budget, so pushing to $5K is doable but a big deal for us. $7300 is a huge stretch.

Final note. Yamaha CLP-170 also had a wonderful sound and feel w/USB, but lacks the screen and microphone input. It's only $3200. Is there another way to get the mike in, and can you let the kids play karaoke via the PC some other way?

Many thanks.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#670969 - 07/10/03 12:09 PM Re: Yamaha CVP207 vs. Technics 804 (USB)
AkKr Offline

Loc: Alaska
Check out this link, it might be helpfull. Thats all the info that I have unfortunatly.

CVP Users Group

Let us know what you decide on as lots of people here are interested in the Yamaha CVP line.

#670970 - 07/10/03 08:31 PM Re: Yamaha CVP207 vs. Technics 804 (USB)
jkeene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Florida
 Quote:
Originally posted by PianoDan:

First question - how important is the USB connection to get .wav or .mp3 files of the actual audio to CD vs. just MIDI instructions that will sound like cheese from a basic computer soundcard - essential?
If I understand the question, you're asking what role does the CVPs USB connection play in acquiring .wav or .mp3 data on a host computer.

Near as I can tell, none. I have a Yamaha P-250, which shares some hardware with the CVP line. The USB port carries only MIDI data. I also checked this against the Yamahasynth.com site, harmony-central.com, and the cvpug.org that AkKr mentioned. It doesn't look like they changed the function in the CVP.

So you'll need some other A/D capability elsewhere. I'm looking into this myself, I want to capture my kids' recitals to CD.

Quote:

Final note. Yamaha CLP-170 also had a wonderful sound and feel w/USB, but lacks the screen and microphone input. It's only $3200. Is there another way to get the mike in, and can you let the kids play karaoke via the PC some other way?
It does look from the specs that you could get a mike to go in on the aux input, just need an external pre-amp to bring it up to level. I'd ask the dealer to demonstrate it just to be sure, though.

PC Karaoke looks like a bigger market that I knew. These links might have something you could use.

http://www.vanbasco.com/

http://www.delmp3karaoke.com/index_en.shtml

Please keep us all posted on how your search goes. You've got some similar interests to mine and I'd like to hear about what you select.

Jeff

#670971 - 07/11/03 04:03 PM Re: Yamaha CVP207 vs. Technics 804 (USB)
Luke's Dad Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mid Atlantic
As long as you are looking at highend digitals, may I suggest you look at Kawai and the Roland KR5 or KR7. You might be able to find the perfect instrument that provides you all of the things you are looking for. Including superior piano sound and touch, great additional sounds, intuitive and easy to use features, and educational benefits. When spending that kind of money, it's important to know all of the options. Good luck!

#670972 - 07/12/03 10:49 AM Re: Yamaha CVP207 vs. Technics 804 (USB)
JimM Offline

Loc: Northern California
I've owned several digital pianos and keyboard (currently the Yamaha CVP900, same as the 209 in a mini-grand cabinet with a different keyboard). In my opinion, the quality if the piano sound and keyboard touch are by far the most important parameters. You'll play the piano 90% of the time; you can always add sound modules for more or better sounds via midi; and of course the keyboard is the fundamental interface (and can't be modified!) Based on what you said, I'd go with the Yamaha, although you should also look at the Roland line to see if you like the sound and keyboard better.

There is a difference between the 207 and 209/210 besides the cabinet - don't recall exactly what, but the Yamaha specs will tell you. (www.yamahaclavinova.com) A few more instruments, more polyphony, styles, etc. May or may not be important to you. Now that the "even series" CVPs are out you should be able to get a good deal on an "odd series" and other than the USB connection they aren't materially different. www.pianodepot.com currently sells the 209 for $4493 plus shipping (they're in Europe) and the 207 for $3310. Also try Keyboard Centre in Canada - many US buyers have had very good experience with them and they're materially cheaper than your local dealer, plus the warranty and power supplies are the US model. (905) 639 4465, ask for Pat Alspaugh. Good people.

You can't send audio files like .wav via USB or midi - you have to use the piano's analog audio outs. Not a big deal. I don't have a USB interface on my piano but can do anything I want over midi, just a little slower.

I think you could get microphone input via a small mixer/preamp - shouldn't cost much. Ask the dealer. Don't know about karaoke.

Let us know what you decide to do!
jim

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (Anne'sson, AndrewJCW, AndresD, Al LaPorte, 36251, 36 invisible), 1503 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156082 Topics
2292060 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An original piece on home-made electric guitar
by gsmonks
Today at 07:12 AM
Is it worth upgrading to a 7200 RPM hard disk?
by CarloPiano
Today at 05:04 AM
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission