Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
144 registered (anamnesis, Alexander Borro, ajames, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1618 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#671438 - 08/07/07 02:03 AM Re: Yamaha YDP-131 or CLP-220?
WhiteBear Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I feel having 2 years of practice, you are at the right point and have narrowed down very appropriate choices.
Actually, I would arrange your potential choice in keyboards in a sequence from DGX to FP-4 and FP-7 and reflected on your certainty of playing seriously further, as DigitalPianoMan pointed out.
I would actually feel that DGX may be a nice piece to play around, see where you are (It always felt a bit like a toy to me, a very-very nice one!)
On the other end of the spectre would be FP-7: more serious investment, should definitely give you few years of nice practice.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#671439 - 08/07/07 02:14 AM Re: Yamaha YDP-131 or CLP-220?
Stabby Offline

Thanks for the advice. I've checked the website of my local music store and I see they do have the FP-4. It was just hidden and could only be found with the search function. This gives me a great opportunity to go and try out the DGX and FP-4.

The FP-7 is still too expensive for me, but the FP-4 is about the same, right? Is there any difference in the sound of the piano? Sadly I won't be able to connect to external speakers since that would mean an extra investment.

Also, you seem to think that the DGX would be a better choice for me. How does it compare to the FP-4? Hopefully I will be able to make out my mind in the store, but I'd like to know beforehand what the differences in sound and touch are.

The owner of the store used to be my neighbour, so I should be able to arrange a small price cut (if he can still remember me that is)

#671440 - 08/07/07 02:51 AM Re: Yamaha YDP-131 or CLP-220?
WhiteBear Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I did not suggest actually that DGX would be a better choice. :rolleyes: I only tried to say it may be more suitable for a person, who is less sure about piano playing, since it has more buttons, functions, a very nice display, etc. \:\) It is more entertaining, if you will.
The sound I would say is quite close for FP-4 and FP-7 (most of samples should be the same).
Yamaha and Roland sound are quite different, both I feel are quite appropriate imitations of acoustics at their point.
By the keyboard feel, I would definitely prefer FP-4 to DGX.

Hope that would help a bit and you will greatly enjoy your time finally choosing what would work the best for you

P.S. You will have actually a very nice choice.
Both Yamaha and Roland are reliable, enjoyable.
Both are decently priced (in our part of the woods, actually, FP-4 is $300US more expensive! so the price cut may be more actual for DGX)

#671441 - 08/10/07 02:58 PM Re: Yamaha YDP-131 or CLP-220?
Stabby Offline

There's a store that gives a 35% price cut on all Rolands in stock next week. The current price of the FP-4 is 913€. So with 35% off I would only have to pay €593! Here's hoping it will be in stock!

#671442 - 08/10/07 03:24 PM Re: Yamaha YDP-131 or CLP-220?
DigitalPianoMan Offline

Loc: NYC
I have this thing where when I really want something to happen I tell everyone to "hope with me" and that our combined hope with alter the course of life and make that thing happen. It's more for fun but here's some of my hope!

#671443 - 08/11/07 11:30 PM Re: Yamaha YDP-131 or CLP-220?
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Coast
Warranty is in home service 5/5 on the CLP220.
YDP is 3/1 carry in or mail in.

#671444 - 08/12/07 12:56 AM Re: Yamaha YDP-131 or CLP-220?
MoodyBluesKeys Offline

Loc: Trent Woods, NC
If there is any way that you can go and visit several dealers, actually play the different keyboards that are within the price range that you desire; it will be much more help in determining what instrument YOU prefer.

Among the different things that cause preference, the FEEL of the keyboard is a very significant item, and the SOUND or sounds - ultimately you will be most satisfied picking something out that appeals to you. Even the arrangement of knobs, switches, and buttons on the keyboard can be intiutive to you, or very confusing.

I do not live in Europe, so I don't know exactly what choices you have. I worked servicing electronic instruments for years, I pretty well knew what feeling and kind of sound I wanted. Since I live in a small town with one music store, I visited a number of stores while on vacation in a large city. I tried out various brands and models (it had been a decade since I was actively servicing instruments instead of computers), and rather quickly narrowed the field somewhat - at least I knew a number of brands and models that I did NOT want, as well as some that were on my short list.

For at least one instrument, I wanted a full 88 keys, weighted keyboard, at least a good sounding acoustic piano sound. I didn't really care if it looked like a traditional piano or was a stage piano (and neither did my wife). We wanted something that our granddaughter could use for practice, she was taking piano at school (age 9) as well. I wound up with a Kurzweil SP88X in absolutely excellent shape, purchased used on EBay. The original owner bought it for his daughter for piano practice, then daughter decided not to continue.

So - the forum can be of some help, particularly if s LOT of people have had problems with a particular make or model. But - the keyboard that really seems great to you may (or may not) seem great to me.

My next keyboard was a 61key unweighted - I use it in a band - but not for piano. Third was a 76 key lightly weighted (and since then, I wish that I had paid the extra for the 88 key weighted).

My advice in a nutshell: spend time and effort looking - buy ONCE instead of buying something, not liking it, and losing money when you sell it to buy something else.

HTH,
JBL 10&15 EONG2s, EV SxA100+s QSC K10s, HP & ThinkPad DAWs, eMu 1820M & 1616M.
Epi Les Paul & LP 5str Bass, Trace amp-cabinets.
Formerly in electronic keyboard repair trade - semi-retired

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
REPOST: Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano
by kaustin
12/19/14 03:10 PM
Upright dampers not damping much, what to look for?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 01:26 PM
Restoration referrals needed
by Dewdman42
12/19/14 12:38 PM
Single note with a "harsh sound"
by i1lsia
12/19/14 12:23 PM
Schaff Bros baby grand piano $300
by Paul678
12/19/14 11:24 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159988 Topics
2349487 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission