Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#671702 - 02/11/04 08:11 PM Lost my acoustic, probably need digital
RK Offline

My first post! :-)

My wife and I are separating and she took the piano, so I'm currently without.

Myself: Took piano lessons starting in elementary school, through high school from a private teacher. My parents couldn't afford a real piano so I had to practice on an old parlor (reed) organ that had been my grandmother's or on my non velocity sensative non weighted 10 key (ok, a few more than that) keyboard. Neither was ideal, as neither were sensative to velocity and neither had standard sized keys. As an adult my (used to be) wife and I bought a used "Star" upright that was probably 70 years old and my enjoyment level went WAY UP. When the piano went away recently I was playing every single day for at least an hour per day. Even so, my ability level isn't all that great and I learn songs very slowly since my years of lessons were severely hampered by my practice equipment.

Anyhow, the house is also for sale and I expect to live in apartments for a while and will probably be moving a few times until things settle down a bit, thus the thought of a digital piano comes up.

Looking online and at the local music stores I see a few that interest me. At CostCo I played a Casio digital piano that didn't feel too bad, but couldn't get a good feel for it in that environment... I also played some more expensive digital pianos at the music store and didn't notice a HUGE difference in feel. I don't really care too much about lots of features, I mostly just want a piano to play that feels and sounds decent. In a few years when things settle down a bit I'll then consider the investment in a real acoustic piano.

Anyhow, I've been searching the forums and found very little written about the Casio (for exmaple, the AP38), nor have I found much about the Kaysound that I see online which also claims to be hammer action, though has a low polyphony count and is probably not worth anything.

Thanks!!!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#671703 - 02/11/04 10:41 PM Re: Lost my acoustic, probably need digital
Zymtil Offline

Loc: CS, Texas
I'm not familiar with the Casio or Kaysound. However, I will say this, I'm not sure what your budget is but, if you can find anything comparable or better than a Yamaha P80 (sort of a bottom of the line, for nice digitals) in your budget, go for it (However, test several before your final decision).

Disclaimer: I don't know what your budget is so I may be way off[/b] in my advice, but it should suffice as a starting point.

#671704 - 02/13/04 07:16 PM Re: Lost my acoustic, probably need digital
RK Offline

Interestingly I've had two people (one PM) suggest this model... thanks to both of you, I'll look for this model and give it a try.

Thanks!

#2141509 - 08/30/13 06:53 PM Re: Lost my acoustic, probably need digital [Re: RK]
RK Offline

Hey guys! Almost 10 years after the original post I finally got around to buying that piano! :-)

I recently put in an order for a Casio PX-850. It should arrive on Wednesday! I'm really looking forward to its arrival!

In the intervening years I decided that a guitar better fit my need for portability, so I've taught myself to play classical guitar, more or less. Not to a level where I'd want to show off, but well enough that I have a lot of fun with it. That said, still missing the piano, and still find myself playing a few notes on my old piano every time I go to pick up the kids. Things have been stable for a number of years now so I finally jumped back in the game!

I'm itching with excitement to play again, though find myself struggling to remember how to read bass clef! It'll probably come back to me quickly, and I've been playing with an iPad app that gives you a little keyboard and flashes up some notes and times you to see how quickly you can identify them. My reading speed is improving and will hopefully be fast enough by next week that I can pick up some fairly easy songs and start playing again!

Saw this book at B&N a few months ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Beginner-Everybodys-Favorite-Series/dp/0825618215

It looked like a good starting point to get back into things, so I put it on my wish list. Last month I found a copy in great condition for half price at a used book store, so I grabbed it since most of my books have also gone missing in the last decade!

So... I'm back and look forward to being a participant on the forums! <particularly the adult beginner forum for now!>

#2141511 - 08/30/13 06:57 PM Re: Lost my acoustic, probably need digital [Re: RK]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Welcome back! Hope you have years of fun with your PX-850.

#2141523 - 08/30/13 07:36 PM Re: Lost my acoustic, probably need digital [Re: RK]
Marko in Boston Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
RK, Great stuff here. Just another reason why I love this forum!

#2141666 - 08/31/13 04:39 AM Re: Lost my acoustic, probably need digital [Re: RK]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
RK, I have read your post, here:

subject: Lost my acoustic, probably need digital

My wife and I are separating and she took the piano, so I'm currently without.

Myself: Took piano lessons starting in elementary school, through high school from a private teacher. My parents couldn't afford a real piano so I had to practice on an old parlor (reed) organ that had been my grandmother's or on my non velocity sensative non weighted 10 key (ok, a few more than that) keyboard. Neither was ideal, as neither were sensative to velocity and neither had standard sized keys. As an adult my (used to be) wife and I bought a used "Star" upright that was probably 70 years old and my enjoyment level went WAY UP. When the piano went away recently I was playing every single day for at least an hour per day. Even so, my ability level isn't all that great and I learn songs very slowly since my years of lessons were severely hampered by my practice equipment.

Anyhow, the house is also for sale and I expect to live in apartments for a while and will probably be moving a few times until things settle down a bit, thus the thought of a digital piano comes up.

Looking online and at the local music stores I see a few that interest me. At CostCo I played a Casio digital piano that didn't feel too bad, but couldn't get a good feel for it in that environment... I also played some more expensive digital pianos at the music store and didn't notice a HUGE difference in feel. I don't really care too much about lots of features, I mostly just want a piano to play that feels and sounds decent. In a few years when things settle down a bit I'll then consider the investment in a real acoustic piano.

Anyhow, I've been searching the forums and found very little written about the Casio (for exmaple, the AP38), nor have I found much about the Kaysound that I see online which also claims to be hammer action, though has a low polyphony count and is probably not worth anything.

Thanks!!!

as I understand your post, you are looking for a digital piano.

as a beginner piano player, I think most digital pianos with weighted 88 keys are the same so it comes down to personal choice and pocket book (money).

You mention Costco and Costco stands behind the products they sell. I have seen Casios there.

I am old and have been buying Yamaha for over 20 to 25 years be it sub woofer, CD players, saxaphones, motorcycles, so I have a huge bias. I have a P95 and a CLP-50 and they seen fine to me.

You have a lifetime to get another acoustic so getting a digital with 88 weighted keys seems practical for the time being. If you have had the taste of an acoustic - the taste won't go away easily - but I play both my digitals and my acoustic daily and can adjust to them both being totally different instruments

3G31CCD

Edited by Michael_99 (08/31/13 04:41 AM)

#2144287 - 09/04/13 09:46 PM Re: Lost my acoustic, probably need digital [Re: RK]
RK Offline

Thanks all! My PX-850 arrived today!

The FexEx guy was very happy that I was home to help him carry it into the house. As was I, I'd hate to think what he'd have done trying to carry it alone! Heavy! He helped me carry it into the family room and I started in on it.

It took me about 35 minutes from open box to fully assembled and playing! It looks nice; not as nice as a polished ebony finish on a high end piano, but nice none-the-less.

Initial impressions are very positive. It feels good and sounds great! A bit harsh on the attack on the left hand (probably lighter than my old piano), but I've already noticed that I'm adapting to that, for better or worse. I might play with the hammer response settings to see if I find something more natural for me.

Hooked it up to my iPad... worked immediately (99 cent trail version of Home Concert Extreme & the Piano Tutor app). Hooked it up to my laptop and tried it with PianoBooster and it worked perfectly. I'll probably buy HCX if I can find enough high quality MIDI files to justify the cost.

Songs are coming back to me slowly... can't wait to play it more!

Edited by RK (09/04/13 09:47 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#2144309 - 09/04/13 10:32 PM Re: Lost my acoustic, probably need digital [Re: RK]
Dwscamel Offline

Nothing like watching someone embark on a fresh piano journey smile.

#2144310 - 09/04/13 10:35 PM Re: Lost my acoustic, probably need digital [Re: RK]
Tritium Offline

Loc: Western MA, USA
Originally Posted By: RK
Thanks all! My PX-850 arrived today!

The FexEx guy was very happy that I was home to help him carry it into the house. As was I, I'd hate to think what he'd have done trying to carry it alone! Heavy! He helped me carry it into the family room and I started in on it.

It took me about 35 minutes from open box to fully assembled and playing! It looks nice; not as nice as a polished ebony finish on a high end piano, but nice none-the-less.

Initial impressions are very positive. It feels good and sounds great! A bit harsh on the attack on the left hand (probably lighter than my old piano), but I've already noticed that I'm adapting to that, for better or worse. I might play with the hammer response settings to see if I find something more natural for me.

Hooked it up to my iPad... worked immediately (99 cent trail version of Home Concert Extreme & the Piano Tutor app). Hooked it up to my laptop and tried it with PianoBooster and it worked perfectly. I'll probably buy HCX if I can find enough high quality MIDI files to justify the cost.

Songs are coming back to me slowly... can't wait to play it more!

Congrats, RK.

And with regards to the "harsh on the attack" concern...you will want to adjust the "Touch Sensitivity" parameter to your liking. I think you will find this makes much more of a difference, for what you are describing, than the "Hammer Response" parameter.

#2144349 - 09/04/13 11:48 PM Re: Lost my acoustic, probably need digital [Re: Tritium]
RK Offline

Originally Posted By: Tritium
And with regards to the "harsh on the attack" concern...you will want to adjust the "Touch Sensitivity" parameter to your liking. I think you will find this makes much more of a difference, for what you are describing, than the "Hammer Response" parameter.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:35 AM
Who's Online
145 registered (ando, AndresD, ajames, accordeur, 40 invisible), 1547 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318827 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission