Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#673520 - 06/27/04 06:21 AM Digital Piano advice
lori_london Offline

I used to play an accoustic piano for many years and have my Grade 8 piano. However, I haven't played for a long time now (10 years) and want to get back into it. An accoustic piano is not an option so I am looking for a digital piano which feels and sounds as much like a real piano as possible (within my price range! - around 1000 GBP).

I began by looking at the Roland HP2 and Yamaha CLP-120. Through the speakers both sound good and the keys feel reasonably similar to an accoustic piano, but I didn't like the sound of the HP2 through headphones. I decided to try the HP3 and CLP-130 and was surprised at how much better they sounded. Unfortunately, both the HP3 and CLP-130 are slightly too expensive for me (even after 20% reduction of RRP).

I have started to look at used pianos (1-2 years old only). Can anyone tell me what to watch out for in a used digital piano? As I am not familiar with digital pianos at all I don't know what can go wrong with them. Any opinions on the differences between Roland HP-2/3 and Yamaha CLP-120/130 would also be appreciated!

Thank you for your help!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#673521 - 06/27/04 11:06 AM Re: Digital Piano advice
Frungy Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
I'd go for the Yamaha P-120... to me, it felt the most realistic of all lower-priced pianos, even better than the clavinovas. It also has half-sustain pedals, which was a big plus for me. It retails for about 1200 dollars, which is like 800 pounds, I think. If you're going to use headphones, the Yamaha P-90 is pretty similar to the P-120, except it has no speakers and is a couple hundred dollars cheaper.

#673522 - 06/27/04 12:19 PM Re: Digital Piano advice
mark2048 Offline

I agree with frungy.

You will get much more for your money if you buy a p or ydp series from a discount music store (or online) than if you buy from a piano store. If you like the furniture style of digital piano look at the ydp-223 for about $1500 USD, but if you don't care what it looks like the p-120 may be a better choice, plus it's easy to move.

#673523 - 06/27/04 12:26 PM Re: Digital Piano advice
anomaly Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Frungy is right. Get a P90 or P120 (the P120 if you need speakers).

I have the P90 and love it. The keys take a little getting used to, but the sound is amazing. I love practicing on it (though not as much as I enjoy an acoustic grand, of course). You will be satisfied with the Yamaha, and you can play pretty much anything on it (ie there aren't any limitations because it is a keyboard).

Good luck!

#673524 - 06/27/04 12:43 PM Re: Digital Piano advice
lori_london Offline

Thank you for your replies. I think I would prefer something that "looks" more like a piano, ie. not a portable keyboard, and one with speakers (as I don't have a good stereo to plug into). Nevertheless, I will try out the P120.

I have never seen the YDP-223 - is this series generally sold in music/piano stores?

#673525 - 06/27/04 01:24 PM Re: Digital Piano advice
p120Man Offline

Loc: USA
You may want a big cabinet that will make it feel like a piano, but the p120's sound engine is superior to the YDP-223. This is because the YDP-223's sound engine has less clarity, only 1 layer of dynamics, and no nuance sampling. The p120's sound engine is superb, the clarity is superb, it has 3 dynamic layers, Half Pedalling, String Resonance, Key off, Damper, and Soundboard Sampling. You will notice the difference when you play them side by side.

So the Yamaha p120 is a superb choice, I own one and I love it. It rocks! So you really have to go try them out yourself. IMO, the p120 is the best piano out there.

Regards,
p120mAn

The Yamaha P120 is da bomb! It rocks! It is superb, fantastic, awesome!

*Yamaha P120 Stage Piano*Yamaha CS1X Synthesizer

#673526 - 06/27/04 10:28 PM Re: Digital Piano advice
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
 Quote:
and no nuance sampling
what exactly is "nuance sampling"?

#673527 - 06/28/04 08:08 PM Re: Digital Piano advice
p120Man Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveY:
 Quote:
and no nuance sampling
what exactly is "nuance sampling"? [/b]
Nuance Sampling means that the product has all the nuances of a piano, like damper pedal resonance, key off noise, etc. The p120 has nuance sampling, which means it has all the nuances of a piano. This is one reason why the pianos on the p120 are so full, rich, and superb.

Regards,
p120dUdE

#673528 - 06/29/04 06:02 AM Re: Digital Piano advice
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Nuance Sampling means that the product has all the nuances of a piano, like damper pedal resonance, key off noise, etc. The p120 has nuance sampling, which means it has all the nuances of a piano. This is one reason why the pianos on the p120 are so full, rich, and superb.
I hope you understand that this is a marketing term and not a technical term. One could make the case that EVERY sample is "nuance sampling", in that each of the criteria on your list is reflected in the recording. I certainly would not buy a product based on whether or not it had this so-called "feature".

#673529 - 06/29/04 06:37 AM Re: Digital Piano advice
Frungy Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Before you take P120man's word for it, look at this thread where a Yamaha employee discusses resonance on the P120 and other P series models. I agree that the P120 is a very nice piano, but P120man tends to be a bit too enthusiastic about his support.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/6/433.html

#673530 - 06/29/04 09:24 AM Re: Digital Piano advice
Zymtil Offline

Loc: CS, Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by lori_london:
I have never seen the YDP-223 - is this series generally sold in music/piano stores? [/b]
The YDP-223 is basically the same thing as the CLP-120, except primarily for its warranty length (the CLP-120's warranty lasts longer). There may be a couple minor cosmetic differences as well. If I'm not mistaken (which I rarely am ;\) ) the CLP-120 tends to cost a little more than the YDP-223.

EDIT: Frungy's last post was dead on.

EDIT #2: Oh, and SteveY's posts too.

#673531 - 06/29/04 12:53 PM Re: Digital Piano advice
mark2048 Offline

The p120 does have built-in speakers

The ydp 223 is not sold in piano stores, which is a real advantage because the quoted prices are already near the lowest that they can sell it for, unlike in a piano store where they start with the ridiculously high "manufacturer suggested retail price" and bargain down from there. You can get the ydp 223 in a general music store which sells synths, guitars, drums, etc...

Also, don't listen to the p120dude. He is obsessed with the p120 and to him everything is inferior to it, as regulars of this board can attest. It's not uncommon to find a music store that has both so you can compare, and you may find that the ydp223 sound is comparable to that of the p120 with the look that you want.

That said, you may actually like the advantages of a stage piano: it's cheaper, and you can easily move it to different rooms, or even put it in a closet if you temporarily need extra space.

#673532 - 06/29/04 04:19 PM Re: Digital Piano advice
p120Man Offline

Do not listen to Mark2048 about the comment he made about not listening to me. He obviously had a nerve to say that, and he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Regards,
p120dUdE

#673533 - 06/30/04 05:45 AM Re: Digital Piano advice
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Do not listen to Mark2048 about the comment he made about not listening to me. He obviously had a nerve to say that, and he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Let's see...
Mark says not to listen to P120man...
P120man says not to listen to Mark...

I seem to remember that P120man promised (more than once) that he was never coming back to these lame forums. And yet he's still here...

Hmmm....which one is more trustworthy?

#673534 - 06/30/04 01:12 PM Re: Digital Piano advice
ryan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Not to mention the fact that P120man has consistently had his facts wrong....

#673535 - 06/30/04 03:24 PM Re: Digital Piano advice
Daren Offline

Loc: Staffordshire,England
My p80 with my msp5 stereo speakers knocks the socks off the p120 big time.

daz

#673536 - 07/02/04 10:34 AM Re: Digital Piano advice
Lisztiana Offline

Loc: London, UK
I recently got a Yamaha P120. I liked the sound of both the Roland FP5 and the P120, but the keyboard of the P120 has a more realistic feel to it, probably the closest you can get to an acoustic piano.
I looked at the P90 as well (no speakers), but I'm glad I didn't go for it, because the headphones get very claustrophobic and hot and uncomfortable after a while, and it is nice when you can take them off. If you are concerned about the noise, you can just turn the volume down. You still get a reasonable tone quality for practicing.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
Today at 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Who's Online
129 registered (36251, ajames, accordeur, alfredo capurso, 0987654321, 36 invisible), 1560 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76653 Members
42 Forums
158489 Topics
2327581 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission