Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#674070 - 02/09/03 01:19 PM MIDI Files
Bill G. Offline

Loc: New York
Although I play primarily popular music, I've never explored the world of Midi because I thought it would distract me. I was right. I've spent the last two days at the computer keyboard instead of the piano. But I am having fun!
I have a lot of questions and need advice. I downloaded a demo copy of PowerTracks and before I buy anything I would like opinions on it, and other sequencers. If someone can direct me to website that has a good tutorial on MIDI I would appreciate it.

Bill

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#674071 - 02/09/03 07:12 PM Re: MIDI Files
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Bill, heres a few links I have found in "earlier daze." I haven't looked at them much since. I've been using Finale (not very "friendly", midi-wise), but adequate for the simple Midi stuff I do.
Some may be overkill in the Tech Explanation department, but you might shuffle through them and find some tidbits here and there. A google search might help too,

http://www.synthzone.com/

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~bunce/#midi

http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/MIDI.html

Good luck,
Bob

#674072 - 02/09/03 09:28 PM Re: MIDI Files
Bill G. Offline

Thanks Bob, that should keep me busy for awhile.

Bill

#674073 - 02/10/03 01:06 PM Re: MIDI Files
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bill heres another link that might be helpful. ClassicalArchives is a VERY extensive and very classy site and I trust stuff they sponsor as being well done too. That's why I'm mentioning the "midinotate" program they advertise on their site. Its function is to input midi files and output printed sheet music plus some other features. Its $40, quite a bit less than the $300-$500 prices of Sibelius, Finale, etc. I haven't worked with it at ALL, because I have Finale, but it does have a 30 day free demo download and it sounded pretty good. It may not be anything you want,(and it specifies it is NOT a sequencer) but here it is anyway.

http://www.classicalarchives.com/store.html

http://www.notation.com/midinotatefeatures.htm

Bob

#674074 - 02/10/03 05:16 PM Re: MIDI Files
Bill G. Offline

Bob

Thanks again. ClassicalArchives is indeed a very rich site. I checked out "midinotate" but apparently they are currently having server problems, and I was unable to download the demo. I'm currently using a demo copy of PowerTracks, but it does not support printing. Do you have any experience with notation software other than Finale? If so, any preferences?

Bill

#674075 - 02/21/03 03:20 PM Re: MIDI Files
bboy1 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Bill,

For an overview, and quite a bit of detail about MIDI, check out these

http://www.midisite.com/info/infomidi.htm
http://www.harmony-central.com/MIDI/Doc/tutorial.html

For a basic MIDI sequencer you can try this. I know there is a free trial if you want to check it out.

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/evaluate.htm

Brian

#674076 - 02/21/03 05:04 PM Re: MIDI Files
John51 Offline

Loc: England
What's the most user friendly program if all I want to do is make the midi file play slower?

#674077 - 02/21/03 06:11 PM Re: MIDI Files
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

John, I'm not sure what programs came bundled with your computer, but usually, if your computer can play ANY midi file, it has enough capacity to change the tempo. (I may be wrong, but most I've seen have an "orchestrator" program to turn tracks on and off which also have a little tempo window that can be adjusted. Maybe you have this already and just don't know it. (Or maybe I'm an incurable optimist and should just go stand in a snowbank).
If your computer was completely MidiBaren when you bought it, you may be out of luck, but if it could play a midi file from the getgo, go to the C:/Programs/xxx subdirectory where that midi player is and explore a little bit to see if there are some other *.exe files that might be there. Or do a search for *midi*.exe or *mi*.exe or something like that. Anyway, find where the midi program is located and look around in that directory for others that might be there.
2 other programs that haven't been mentioned here, and are probably in the $200 range are Cakewalk, and BandInaBox. I know OF them, but not much about them.
I may be all wet on this,(finding a program you already have) but it might be worth a look.
Bob

#674078 - 02/21/03 11:58 PM Re: MIDI Files
Bill G. Offline

Thanks again Bob and Brian. I finally downloaded the demo version of “midinotate” and between that and Powertracks I’ve been having a lot of fun. Both have very powerful and useful features (including tempo), and considering the cost of the full versions, I’ll probably buy both.
BTW, whatever happened to copyright protection?

Bill

#674079 - 02/22/03 11:20 AM Re: MIDI Files
John51 Offline

RKSV1, thanks for the help. I put the PC together, so the bundle was a little lacking. \:\)
I've had a quick look at CuBase et al, and decided that life is too short for me too learn them. (I'm OK mechanically, but a dud at using software.)
Any way, I found this karaoke midi freeware that can slide the tempo up or down, pitch change etc.
Works great.
http://www.vanbasco.com/midi_player_with_full_screen_karaoke_display/

#674080 - 02/22/03 11:38 AM Re: MIDI Files
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If your asking the copywrite question in relation to the ClassicalArchieves, most of these pieces have passed in public domain years ago. The site DOES mention frequently that pieces by living and only slightly dead composers must have some kind of copywrite permission before they can be added to the site.
Bob

#674081 - 02/26/03 07:50 AM Re: MIDI Files
John51 Offline

Got to give another plug for that midi player. \:\)
My midi cable arrived this morning and all I had to do was define an external device on the PC.
Now my piano midi files are playing through the keyboard and the screen is showing which keys are being pressed.
I can only slide the tempo down to 25%, which is still a bit fast for me to follow, but I'll get there, I hope.

#674082 - 02/26/03 08:15 AM Re: MIDI Files
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

John, a suggestion that might or might not work. If you have a full duplex soundcard, you may be able to play OUT the MidiFast file at 25% and record it to at the same time to another file, say MidiSlow.
Then you could load the MidiSlow file and play IT at 50% or whatever till its slow enough for you.
I have done something similar to this if I wanted to change a MIDI file to a WAV file to put on a CD. (Or with another step into a Mp3 file)
That was Midi to Wav, not Midi to Midi, so I'm not certain that it won't block itself, but it might be worth a try.
Or, even simpler, you may be able to save the MidiFast file at the slower speed from the program itself and then reload the new MidiSlow file.
Bob

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
93 registered (AndrewJCW, a-z0-9, angga888, Anticlock, 25 invisible), 1281 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156242 Topics
2294609 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
07/28/14 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
07/28/14 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
07/28/14 10:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission