Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#674450 - 12/05/05 01:48 AM Performing Keyboard recommendations
Elder31 Offline

Loc: Kansas City
I've been playing piano for a while now, and I learned on my grandmothers old Baldwin upright. Recently I started jamming with a couple guys and am now looking for a good electric piano/organ to use.

The sound my friends and I are striving for is that is in the area of the fusion miles Davis's did during the 70's and frank zappas work(jazz/rock/funk fusion). Unlike guitars most of the electric pianos used during this time aren't made any more so I'm clueless as to what would be ideal for my situation.
I've gone to a couple stores and explained what I'm looking for and they just showed me their Yamaha digital pianos which aren't very practical to move and don't seem to have the true sounds of the Rhodes and wurlitzer. I'm not really looking for something that can do drums and strings and show me what notes I'm playing. I just want a good stage piano with truly authentic sounds.
I have about $4,000 saved so I'm hoping I can afford something of great quality. Like I've said the only thing I've been playing on is a Baldwin upright made in 1970 so I'm really clueless. I also saw that Hammond currently has a drawbar organ and piano, is it any good? Any advice I could get would be truly appreciated.
Thank You

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#674451 - 12/05/05 06:40 AM Re: Performing Keyboard recommendations
gpallanti Offline

Probaly the GEM Promega 3 is what you need, check it out at http://www.generalmusic.us/promega3.htm , there are many demo videos and samples you can hear. It is used live on stage by people like Herbie Hancock, Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson. Ciao,

Daniele

#674452 - 12/05/05 01:44 PM Re: Performing Keyboard recommendations
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Nord Electro makes keyboards with a "vintage"
sound in 88, 73, and 61 key versions (3300.00,
1700.00, and 1350.00, respectively). See:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--NORELECTRO73

#674453 - 12/05/05 07:51 PM Re: Performing Keyboard recommendations
pianomad Offline

Loc: USA
I just heard from someone who had a chance to try out the latest Nord weighted 88-key, and he said the vintage keys are killer. I can't wait to hear it myself.

"Moralists have no place in an art gallery" ---Han Suyin

"Paint's not really a great thing to bring into a museum" ---Adam Sorenson, The Shape of Things

#674454 - 12/06/05 12:05 PM Re: Performing Keyboard recommendations
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
The fellow that did the sound for the latest Nord is someone from this forum named "Worra". Here's a thread he started:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/6/1500.html

... I think he used a simplified version of one of his smaller piano libraries for the Nord.

Howard

#674455 - 12/06/05 12:59 PM Re: Performing Keyboard recommendations
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
The Nord would be a good option. So would the Pro-Mega 3. Roland also makes some great expansion boards that are available for either the older or newer expandable keyboards. The two expansion boards I'm thinking of are:

Vintage Synth
Keyboards of the 60's and 70's

(edit: If you have a newer Roland keyboard, the expansion board to get would be "Ultimate Keys" SRX-07. It contains all of the sounds from the above titles, plus a bunch more. A lot of bang for the buck!!!)

#674456 - 12/12/05 07:59 AM Re: Performing Keyboard recommendations
kelsnore Offline

Loc: Merrill, WI
Where do you guys order these expansion boards from! Does Roland have a site to check these things out?

#674457 - 12/12/05 09:05 AM Re: Performing Keyboard recommendations
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
You can get them from a local dealer, or from an online dealer such as Sweetwater.com. Roland has them listen on its web site, but you'll have to purchase them through a dealer (not direct from Roland).

#674458 - 12/12/05 01:04 PM Re: Performing Keyboard recommendations
Bob Slidell Offline

Loc: USA
For $4k, you could be into a Roland RD-700SX with SRX-07 with lots of money left over, and it would cover all those bases (piano, EP's, B3, vintage stuff) well. The only downside is that it's a pain (literally) to play authentic Hammond stylings on a weighted action.

If a weighted action and 88 keys aren't so important to you, a Fantom X7 with SRX-07 will do all this and more for about the same money.

Also from Roland: the VR-760 V-Combo. I've never played it, and know next to nothing about it, but it can accept 2 SRX boards (so you could add SRX-07) and seems to have the organ, EP, piano, and "vintage" thing covered well. Looks cool. Maybe SteveY can tell us more.

It looks like Roland has put tremendous effort into addressing the kind of thing you're after. I have a feeling you'll find what you're looking for in one or a combination of a couple Roland products.

The Electro does the EP, Clav, and B3 sounds really pretty well. The acoustic piano is horrible. The Electro is also very RED, kind of over-the-top, if you ask me. The action is interesting, not weighted, kind of springy. Passable for B3 and Clav, not so good for anything piano-like. Check out the new Nord Stage as well, haven't played it, but I understand it's better in the action and piano departments than the Electro.

Hammond's XK-3 is nice, from what I've played of it. Great organ action. It's expensive though, and you'd have to sacrifice somewhere else. The action would not be so hot for playing anything else but organ and synth sounds.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
98 registered (Abby Pianoman, accordeur, Almaviva, 29 invisible), 1497 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75336 Members
42 Forums
155778 Topics
2287315 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Emergency help!
by Parks
07/10/14 11:36 PM
Pain in my lower back, help!!
by rov
07/10/14 10:55 PM
If there were only 2 choices..
by ChopinFan66
07/10/14 08:04 PM
symphonic pianomusic
by dolce sfogato
07/10/14 06:16 PM
First Digital Piano - Casio AP250 or Roland RP301?
by Jorgeb
07/10/14 02:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission