Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#674754 - 04/10/08 10:14 AM Re: Connecting Kawai CA 91 to PC via USB/MIDI - how?
polliccio Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
I suggest you to ask them how to check if the kawai driver is correctly installaed. I suspect that the problem may be there...
Stefano

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#674755 - 04/10/08 10:20 AM Re: Connecting Kawai CA 91 to PC via USB/MIDI - how?
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
 Quote:
Originally posted by polliccio:
I suggest you to ask them how to check if the kawai driver is correctly installaed. I suspect that the problem may be there...
Stefano [/b]
Thanks Stefano, I'll do that \:\)

#674756 - 04/11/08 05:34 AM Re: Connecting Kawai CA 91 to PC via USB/MIDI - how?
SSB Offline

Loc: Cumbria, UK
 Quote:
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
How about if you try another program like SSB suggested? Maybe www.vanbasco.com ? [/b]
Just installed this - cheers for the link!

#674757 - 04/11/08 08:47 AM Re: Connecting Kawai CA 91 to PC via USB/MIDI - how?
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
While I'm waiting for a reply from Kawai Tech Support, can someone please tell me how I can check to see if the Kawai USB-MIDI driver I downloaded is installed and working properly? I can find no mention of the driver anywhere in Control Panel.

#674758 - 04/12/08 01:37 AM Re: Connecting Kawai CA 91 to PC via USB/MIDI - how?
polliccio Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
Cruser,
i'm pretty sure the driver was not installed on my xp laptop!
If you are a little bit familiar with XP you may try this:
1) form start menu chose run eand type regedit.
2) Click on the first item (to be sure you run serach from the top).
3) use ctrl F keys to find kawai string. If you don't fint it your driver are not prperly installed.
4) Close regedit
Warning: regedit is the registry editor and you may cause serious damage to the OS if you try to alter contens!

Yesterday i made a little progress on my XP: I opened the control panel system and disabled the USB Speaker Driver appeared after connecting my CA91. Then i made a right click on the disabled items and chose "upgrade driver". In the driver form i selected to specify manually the driver path and entered the directory where i unzipped CA91 usb drievrs.
After that my XP recognized the Kawai drivers! I can see it in the control panel and the serach in regedit is ok.
I Hope this may help you in some way.
Pls let me know if you have any news from kawai.
Stefano

PS: I will be overseas until friday and i'm not sure i will be able to access to the forum..

#674759 - 02/16/09 09:40 AM Re: Connecting Kawai CA 91 to PC via USB/MIDI - how?
swiss_cheese Offline

@cruiser: did it finally work?

I have the same problem with a Dell Latitude D620, Windows XP Prof and KAWAI MP8-II. When I plug the USB cable in the stage piano, it is recognized by Windows and added as Audio-USB-Midi Device but I can't neither select as MIDI-Output Device nor as MIDI Device in Sampler Software...

I guess it is a Windows problem... any ideas? would be a great help... thanks

#674760 - 02/16/09 03:00 PM Re: Connecting Kawai CA 91 to PC via USB/MIDI - how?
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

On my laptop, with the Clavinova USB cable NOT plugged in, this is what my "Sounds and Audio Devices" panel looks like. This is the Audio tab:

Then, if I close that panel, plug in the USB cable, and restart that panel, it looks like this:

Notice that I have a choice of the built-in sound card or the Clavinova.

What does yours look like?

#674761 - 02/17/09 07:11 AM Re: Connecting Kawai CA 91 to PC via USB/MIDI - how?
swiss_cheese Offline

thank you for reply.

I tried so many things and I'm not a windows/pc newbie... it's desperate...

when I connect the USB to the laptop (and yes, I tried all ports) I see that windows recognizes an Audio-MIDI-USB-whatever device. I also see it in the hardware device manager and the driver is ok.

I also installed the KAWAI USB Driver and updated the generic Windows USB MIDI driver with this one. Always with the same result:

I can't select the Kawai MP8-II as a MIDI Device. Therefore I see only "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth". At every combination of drivers and USB ports it never appeared something else than this SW Synth.

So my guess is that Windows loads the USB driver correctly but then it doesn't recognize somehow, that this device is also MIDI enabled somehow...

I searched in google and found a lot of stuff but nothing solved the problem. I also updated the soundcard driver of the laptop (SigmaTel) but still no luck.

Meanwhile I guess it's hopeless... I will have to buy an external MIDI Soundcard with built-in MIDI interface...

If anyone has a hint, would be great...

#1196076 - 05/09/09 09:03 AM Re: Connecting Kawai CA 91 to PC via USB/MIDI - how? [Re: swiss_cheese]
aaronchili Offline

Half a year late on this reply, but hopefully help someone else down the road...

While trying to fix the same problem, I found this thread - then figured out how to fix it myself based on something someone else suggested.

I have a CN4, and WinXP - connecting via USB.
CN4 was recognized only as a generic USB Audio Device because it loaded automatically with the generic Windows driver.
No Add hardware dialogue - the system said a generic USB audio device was found and then immediately followed by new hardware successfully installed and ready to use.

In Device Manager - right click USB Audio device, and update driver.
No to checking for updates through Windows update.
Install from list or specific location, then...
Don't search, I will choose the driver.

If you've already installed the Kawai-USB driver on your computer, the Kawai driver should be in the list of available drivers in the following window.
Select the Kawai driver, install, and then check Device Manager again to be sure. Should show up as Kawai USB etc.

Good luck!

#1198796 - 05/13/09 10:08 PM Re: Connecting Kawai CA 91 to PC via USB/MIDI - how? [Re: aaronchili]
SPOFF Offline

Loc: Derry NH
Two more thoughts to add to a year-old thread. (Too bad I didn't see this a year ago when I fixed these problems on my MP-8.) The first thing I learned is that if your computer is old and only has USB 1.1, it will not work. The Kawai won't see it. Also, if your XP computer is updated to Service Pack 2 or 3 you shouldn't need the Kawai drivers. Microsoft's native USB MIDI driver will run the keyboard just fine (at least on my 8-year old laptop).

Finally, if you fuss too long loading/unloading MIDI devices and drivers you will thoroughly trash the MIDI drivers with multiple conflicting entries in the Registry. A useful free utility I've found is MidiFixUtil.EXE. (It's pretty easy to find on the Internet.) It apparently was written years ago by a hardware vendor that was having driver problems. What it does is wipe all existing MIDI drivers off the PC and resets the registry to the default values. Then you can boot the computer, plug in the USB cable running to the keyboard, and let Windows find and install the device from scratch.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (accordeur, 36251, 53 invisible), 1459 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74232 Members
42 Forums
153555 Topics
2250482 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Polyphony with Polyphonist - 1st Installment
by Polyphonist
04/18/14 06:51 PM
Help dating old Mcphail Upright Piano
by joe513
04/18/14 06:39 PM
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
04/18/14 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
04/18/14 04:33 PM
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
04/18/14 04:15 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission