Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#675019 - 07/05/03 10:01 AM DGX 500 or Roland 700
summersnow Offline

Loc: Australia
Hello everybody:
Recently I decide to buy a electric piano,but I don't know whether Yamaha is better or Roland is better, also I wander to know the differences between Yamaha DGX 500 and Roland 700. Could someone can give me some advices. Thank you very much!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#675020 - 07/06/03 07:01 PM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
JDWooWoo Offline

Loc: cyberspace
The DGX-500 is what I'd consider a keyboard, not a true digital piano. The keys are not weighted, even though you will sometimes see them advertised as "medium weighted." In actuality, there are no weights or springs under the keys; the resistance is provided strictly by the rigidity of the plastic. I will say that the resistance is firmer than the cheaper portable Yamahas. And the piano sound is excellent.

The RD-700 is Roland's top-of-the-line digital piano, designed for experienced synthesizer users. It is sheer overkill for someone who just wants a digital piano. You'd be paying a ton of extra money for features you'll never use. And it does not come with built-in speakers, so you'll have to provide your own.

#675021 - 07/10/03 02:31 AM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
Alonso Perez Offline

Technics was my choice for sound, but I like Roland a lot. Roland keyboards are uncannily piano like.

It sounds like you want something portable, and Roland builds really robust equipment. If extensive movement is not a requirement, check out Technics portables such as the SX-P50 (a model I have not used, but would love to hear comments on). If you are going to beat up on the thing, Roland is probably your best bet. I'm not saying Technics is flimsy, just that Roland makes tanks.

I don't know why I just don't like Yamaha DP sound. The low notes just sound dull to me. I haven't tried their more expensive models, though.

#675022 - 07/12/03 01:33 AM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
summersnow Offline

Originally posted by JDWooWoo:
Thank you for your advices.I really like the Rd700's piano-like feelings,but it is a little bit expensive, I wander if you know some lower priced Roland model, please give me some information. Thank you ^^ \:\)

#675023 - 07/12/03 01:38 AM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
summersnow Offline

Alonso Perez:
Thank you for your advices, I think when I buy the piano, I will have a look at the SX-P50 models.Thanks!

#675024 - 07/12/03 06:51 PM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
Madmartigan Offline

Loc: Michigan
I know I'm kind of the black sheep around here with my musical tastes and everything but, I recently bought a Roland RD-150. I'm very satisfied with the sound and feel of it. Had I been able to afford it, I probably would have gone with the 700.

Eventually, I would like to purchase a better amp for it. Am looking at the 500 series amp by Roland. For what it's worth. \:D

#675025 - 07/12/03 07:57 PM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
 Quote:
Am looking at the 500 series amp by Roland. For what it's worth.
I know it sounds a bit backwards, but I think the KC300 sounds better than the KC500. I find the KC500 to be a bit "tubby" sounding. But it's very loud and serves live performers well. I use 2 KC300's on stage (not that I perform much anymore). But for smaller settings, and certainly for in home use, the KC300 will be louder than you'll ever need.

(plus it's cheaper)

#675026 - 07/13/03 04:05 AM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
Zymtil Offline

Loc: CS, Texas
 Quote:
I think the KC300 sounds better than the KC500
This may be slightly off-topic, but any thoughts on the new KC350?

As far as the DGX500 vs RD700 querie: The price difference between these two models is vast. Depending on your needs/wants/budget you may find something better suited to you. From what I've seen (although I haven't actually play-tested the DGX500) Yamaha and Roland both have some excellent sounding digital pianos, although there is variation in model numbers. That is to say that Yamaha may have a digital that will better suite your needs at differing price ranges, and vice versa. Hope that makes at least a little sense.

#675027 - 07/13/03 06:53 AM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
Madmartigan Offline

Loc: Michigan
(plus it's cheaper) [/QB][/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm all for cheaper. If it sounds better, even more better. \:D

#675028 - 07/13/03 02:35 PM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
 Quote:
any thoughts on the new KC350
I dont have one, but it seems like a significant improvement on the KC300. I'd take a serious look at it if I were in the market for a keyboard amp.

#675029 - 07/14/03 05:45 PM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
JDWooWoo Offline

Quote:
I wander if you know some lower priced Roland model, please give me some information. Thank you ^^
Yes, you can get Rolands for less, though not as low as the Yamaha P-series. The F-30 seems to be Roland's answer to the DGX-500; the keys are not weighted. Prices are similar, but the F-30 has far fewer voices.

Someone mentioned the RD-150. The action is weighted, but quite different from the higher-priced Rolands - I found it "squishy". It runs about US $1000.

A couple hundred more will buy the F-90, which has the piano-like ("Progressive Hammer") action. It's more of a stationary unit - the piano doesn't easily detach from its stand. Also, the interface is strange. For some of the features, like the metronome and built-in songs, instead of pressing buttons, you press the keys!

My favorite Rolands are the FP-3/FP-5. They're portable and easier to navigate than the F-90. Not cheap, but less than the RD-700. The FP-5 costs $200 more than the FP-3, but has built-in speakers, more voices and more realistic pedaling.

#675030 - 07/16/03 06:32 AM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
rajoo_dup1 Offline

Loc: india
dear brother jd woo this is some different topic which i want to hearfrom u so pl excuse. jd woo. hi i am rajoo from india. hope u must hv remembered me as i posted topic about fp-5 on this forum. well now i am waiting for my fp-5 which is going to land here in india next week around 23/25 july.now i would like to ask u about its built in speaker quality as it is sufficient sounding with bass powerful? require only for home practce is that enough output? which headhone is suitable for practice? and above all how r the touch and sound is that close enough to accoustic /is that model is well appriciated in market? according to u give yr valued advice and opinion which will b highly helpful and appriciable. with warm regards. u may e mail me on my id r_jgandhi@yahoo.co.in rajoo from india

#675031 - 07/16/03 01:38 PM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
JDWooWoo Offline

Hi Rajoo, I'll post my reply on the FP-5 thread.

#675032 - 07/21/03 09:18 AM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
summersnow Offline

My favorite Rolands are the FP-3/FP-5. They're portable and easier to navigate than the F-90. Not cheap, but less than the RD-700.

Thankyou。 After reading your reply。I went to ths music shop and have tried the Fp-5 and Fp-3, both are great, and I prefer the FP-5。 I think it is very suitable for my want。
The shop price in Australia is 3999 Aus dollars, I wander to know if itís a reasonable price or not。
If someone know the answer, please tell me,thanks a lot! ;\)

#675033 - 07/21/03 09:56 PM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
JDWooWoo Offline

Quote:
The shop price in Australia is 3999 Aus dollars, I wander to know if itís a reasonable price or not。
After converting to US dollars...ouch! That is almost twice what I paid!!

Now, I don't know anything about overseas shipping, but I'd have to guess you can do MUCH better than 3999 if you order online, even after extra charges, customs, etc.

#675034 - 07/23/03 02:20 AM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
summersnow Offline

That is almost twice what I paid!!
Thanks for this expensive information, that really help a lot.
:p

#675035 - 08/02/03 08:32 PM Re: DGX 500 or Roland 700
Renauda Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I am looking at a Roland RD-700. Although I'm actually an acoustic piano purist, we have basement tenants and in an effort to keep the house rules the same for everyone my piano practice suffers. From time to time I get together with friends for jam sessions (I also play guitar and lap steel/Dobro) so an electronic piano/keyboard/synthesizer could lend itself well to my playing habits. As for amplification I have a Fender Passport P/A system so that's not an issue here. Any thoughts on the Roland? I'll be using a National Delphi resonator guitar as a trade in for this- No, it is not a vintage National so I won't be doing anything too stupid or rash (it's just that I don't play much bottleneck so it spends most of it's time on the wall hanger).

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, A Guy, AB99, acortot, *windowlicker*, 47 invisible), 1455 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76001 Members
42 Forums
157159 Topics
2308171 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
September Piano Bar
by ladypayne
08/30/14 12:14 PM
Scarlatti Sonata K380 Emaj -- How Difficult?
by ClsscLib
08/30/14 11:14 AM
High pitched sound from Yamaha Clavinova PF P-100
by Shiverca
08/30/14 10:43 AM
Rusty strings- a silly question?
by PhilipInChina
08/30/14 08:59 AM
Yamaha "reconditioned in Japan"
by NanatoFour
08/30/14 08:44 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission