Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
145 registered (accordeur, ajames, Almaviva, anamnesis, 36 invisible), 1583 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#675497 - 10/10/08 08:16 AM Kawai ES 6
zulu234 Offline

Loc: Bucharest, Romania
Hi all!

I have seen that the new Kawai ES 6 is now available on the internet, but unfortunately it is not yet to be found in a store in my country. I have created this thread in the hope that those who already got one will share their first impressions.

As I want a digital piano as a night (or improper hours for making noise \:\) ) replacement for an acoustic piano, I am especially interested in the action and the main piano sound.

After reading some posts regarding issues with the black keys (lubrication problems, as they said) on the older model ES 4, I wonder if this aspect has been fixed with the new AHA4-F action.

Thanks!
Marius

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#675498 - 10/20/08 04:45 PM Re: Kawai ES 6
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
I am very interested in that one too! I am seeking a second piano for my parents' summer house - for a moment it is still impossible to fit an acoustic one, so I'm looking for a digital. I have a Kawai at home and literally love it. ES 6 gives me both half-pedalling, which is not supported by Yamaha's entry level P85, and speakers built-in, not available in Yamaha CP33 series.

I am also very interested in the difference between AHA IV-E and AHA IV-F actions. It is quite obvious it is improved, but I wonder is the difference prominent for a casual player, or lies in the technical details (stability, consistency in production, and others).

It would also be great to know whether the sampling has been improved, or stayed the same throughout Kawai's range.

I hope James will have some experience in this one day \:\)

Thanks!
M.
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#675499 - 02/11/09 02:27 PM Re: Kawai ES 6
1Irene9 Offline

Loc: Alabama
I was recently looking for a digital keyboard and finally narrowed down to Roland FP-7 and a Kawai ES-6. I like both. Though the ES-6 felt much more simple and adequate for a beginner as far as piano playing goes. The salesrep told me that the difference between the ES4 and ES6 was that the ES4 was samples every 4th note and ES6 - every note. Also, the ES4 takes only two pedals; you can switch to a sostenuto or damper but the ES6 has a well built pedal stand with all three pedals on it. It would be nice if you could tell me what your few months of experience with an ES6 feels like. Thanks.

#675500 - 02/11/09 09:02 PM Re: Kawai ES 6
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Irene, the salesperson you spoke to is indeed correct, starting with the ES6 (and now CL35, CA18, etc.), all new KAWAI digital piano instruments will utilise the 88-key sampling process. I gather that this feature is found on the Roland HP-207 (and possibly other HP instruments), so I expect it is present on the FP-7 also.

Regarding pedals, the ES6 includes a single sustain pedal, but is also compatible with the F-20 dual-pedal unit. Furthermore, a triple-pedal accessory is also available for its dedicated stand.

Mati, for some reason your queries managed to pass me by - my apologies! However to answer your questions (albeit somewhat belatedly), the improved AHA IV-F action offers a heavier touch in each playing range, which our researchers claim delivers greater stability than previous AHA IV actions.

As for the sampling query, I believe this has been addressed above - the ES6 uses new piano sounds that sample all 88 keys.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#675501 - 02/12/09 11:09 AM Re: Kawai ES 6
1Irene9 Offline

Thankyou James for your reply. I have one other concern: one of the reps at the roland store said that the Kawai keyboards have keys of wood and this is a good thing as well as a bad one: good because the feel may be better but bad because it is subjected to the usual problems of wood - with the weather the wood shrinks or expands and hence you get the issue of sticky keys. Is this the case for ES6 as well? Please let me know. I would appreciate the opinion from others as well.

Also, I noticed that the three pedal stand is not attached to the wooded stand, so if you can keep the keyboard at a certain height you could just get away with the three-pedal stand without buying the stand. All the pedals work really well.

#675502 - 02/12/09 01:05 PM Re: Kawai ES 6
Horwinkle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Regarding wooden keys on a DP ...

Yes, wood absorbs moisture from the air in humid summer weather and releases moisture during the cold, dry winter. Swell and shrink.

But your signature says Alabama. Your winters are not that extreme, so I wouldn't worry about wooden keys. Not at all.

(You're not going to keep the DP in a damp basement are you? \:\) )

#675503 - 02/12/09 01:27 PM Re: Kawai ES 6
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I second what L Horwinkle says.

All acoustic pianos used to have wooden keys (goodness knows whether the cheap ones still do), and some of those have survived well over a century of varying atmospheric conditions. The main manufacturers (like Yamaha and Kawai) have very well established quality control procedures and I expect that their wood supply is properly dried/seasoned.

#675504 - 02/13/09 12:06 AM Re: Kawai ES 6
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Irene, certain KAWAI digital pianos do indeed utilise wooden keys, although this feature is typically reserved for premium instruments such as the 'Concert Artist' series and the MP8II. While it is true that small, complicated wooden action parts used in acoustic pianos are susceptible to shrinking and swelling often caused by extreme changes in humidity (a problem solved by composite action parts), I do not believe the use of wooden keys in a digital piano should be of any concern.

Regardless, the ES6,utilises KAWAI's plastic key keyboard, so this is really a moot point.

As for your stand/pedal query, below is a extract from the pedal assembly instructions:

You will see that the pedal board does in fact connect to the stand. So while it may be technically possible to connect the pedal unit to the ES6, I would strongly advise against doing so, as without the accompanying stand, the assembly would lack the necessary stability.

I hope this answers your questions.

Kind regards,
James
x

#675505 - 02/13/09 02:14 PM Re: Kawai ES 6
1Irene9 Offline

Thanks L. Horwinkle, voxpops and James. This is a lot of help. I think I am looking forward to getting an ES6. I was concerned about the keys because I want to move to Seattle and Vancouver area or even Alberta - so then winters and humidity would be a problem. I think, after reading all your responses, I should be fine.

James, thanks for the clarification on the stand - I know I will have to get the stand now. That would mean a little more money though.

One other thing - do you know how I could contact a repair place around here so I could check out the refurbished or slightly less priced ES6 items (due to maybe a damaged packaging or something like that)? I am a student and any discount would be really appreciated. What would your advice be on this?

Thanks again for your help.
Regards,

Irene

#675506 - 02/15/09 12:06 PM Re: Kawai ES 6
OlTinEar Offline

I'm interested in trying the ES6, as I found the ES4 to be expressive, but the action was a little light. Unfortunately, the feature set on the MP5 is a much better fit for me.

Roland and Yamaha tend to use different actions and sound engines in different lines and models so they are not as directly comparable and upgrading one doesn't instantly obsolete a large portion of their products. Where they are comparable (e.g. RD-300/RD-700) they tend to upgrade them at the same time. Kawai uses the same action and sound engine in different models and across product lines, changing the form factor and feature set around them. That means when one gets a significant upgrade, all the rest which shared the same technology instantly become obsolete, which can't be good for sales. Last time it took a year for the upgraded sound engine in the MP5 to make it into the MP8II. I'm wondering how long it will take to see the MP5 and MP8 upgraded this time. Maybe they have very limited resources for engineering, retooling and QA and can only work on one or two products at a time, or maybe they just don't much money from them.

#675507 - 02/15/09 07:55 PM Re: Kawai ES 6
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1Irene9:
One other thing - do you know how I could contact a repair place around here so I could check out the refurbished or slightly less priced ES6 items (due to maybe a damaged packaging or something like that)? I am a student and any discount would be really appreciated. What would your advice be on this?[/b]
It may be worthwhile contacting KAWAI dealers to ask if they would be prepared to sell a demonstration model for a reduced price, however other than this rather obvious suggestion, I'm afraid I do not have any further advice.

Kind regards,
James
x

#675508 - 02/16/09 04:42 PM Re: Kawai ES 6
1Irene9 Offline

Thanks James. One other thing - do we need to have "escapement"? Does ES6 have it?

I really appreciate all your help.

Regards,

Irene

#675509 - 02/16/09 11:25 PM Re: Kawai ES 6
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Irene, the AHA IV-F action that the ES6 uses does not feature any kind of 'escapement' simulation.

Do we need it? That's a good question. I believe Roland is currently the only manufacturer that offers this feature in their digital piano instruments, however in the constant race to produce the most realistic piano action, I fully expect both Yamaha and KAWAI to add escapement to their respective action technologies in the future.

Will the average pianist benefit from such a feature? Possibly. Would they miss it if it wasn't there? Probably not.

Cheers,
James
x

#675510 - 02/24/09 03:54 PM Re: Kawai ES 6
1Irene9 Offline

Thanks James. I did find a dealer who has a demo one for less. Won't quote a price over the phone though! Will go over and see it.

Regards,

Irene

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
49 minutes 30 seconds ago
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
52 minutes 9 seconds ago
Digital piano Actions MP11,RD-800,CP4
by oliver123456
Today at 01:26 PM
Baldwin Howard Piano
by Deegs23
Today at 01:24 PM
Don't you just love.....
by D7K
Today at 01:23 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159957 Topics
2349104 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission