2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
radknee Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I've been looking at digital pianos and have narrowed it down to these 2: the Yamaha P90 and Roland RD-700.

I've read a bunch of posts on these 2 here -- everyone seems to agree they're both decent keyboards.

My opinion: the Yamaha has better, more authentic keyboard action. The Roland has more authentic piano sound.

The Roland action feels a little light and 'plasticky' compared to the Yamaha. The Steinway grand samples in the Roland sound pretty authentic. The Yamaha grands seem a little lacking to me.

As I was pounding away on these 2 in Mars Music (called something else now) for 2 hours I noticed a neat test for checking the sound -- hammer out some tritones at different octaves. This seems to be a difficult thing to duplicate in a digital piano, and the Roland sounded much more natural than the Yamaha with this test.

It's interesting that when I was in music school (majored in theory & comp with a piano minor) we had Yamaha grands in the practice rooms, and Steinway concert grands on the stage. I use to sneak in at night when the Steinways weren't locked and pound on 'em occasionally. The Steinway's had lighter action and better sound than the Yamaha's, but I preferred the Yamaha's firmer action. It mirrors the difference between the 2 digital pianos.

So I'm in a quandry as which to go with. I suppose I could by the Yamaha for the action, and get a Roland module later on for better sound. But, as I want to write music (and mabye eventually perform) the Roland controller is a much better tool for the job.

Excuse my long-windedness, but I wanted to both share my observations with this board and also get any advice from those that have experience with these 2 keyboards.

Chime in if you've got any :-)

Randall Perry
sysTame

Xserve Web Hosting/Co-location
Website Design/Development
WebObjects Hosting
Mac Consulting/Sales

http://www.systame.com/
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I prefer the sound and action of the Roland. But while we may disagree on this, I see that we have something in common...

(hint: I'm posting this on my Mac).

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
I dislike them both and have owned and played professionaly with them both. The Yamaha P actions are too sluggish and stiff, they are OK for 20 minutes, but if you play a lot of fast notes look out. The Roland action is more resonable for that and safer. The Yamaha P90 sounds clangy and dullish and the Roland sounds muddy and weird. Wait until January when new models will be issued.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
Just wondering have you ever try Roland HP103?? Try it once and see if you like the sound and feel of it smile

R
radknee Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally posted by wallacetai:
Just wondering have you ever try Roland HP103?? Try it once and see if you like the sound and feel of it smile
Looks like a good-looking, stable platform for a digital piano. But I was wanting something more portable.

Randall Perry
sysTame

WebObjects Hosting
Mac Consulting/Sales

R
radknee Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally posted by SteveY:
I prefer the sound and action of the Roland. But while we may disagree on this, I see that we have something in common...

(hint: I'm posting this on my Mac).
Oh, yeah...we both read Piano Wold Forums posts wink

Randall Perry
sysTame

WebObjects Hosting
Mac Consulting/Sales

R
radknee Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally posted by rintincop:
I dislike them both and have owned and played professionaly with them both. The Yamaha P actions are too sluggish and stiff, they are OK for 20 minutes, but if you play a lot of fast notes look out. The Roland action is more resonable for that and safer. The Yamaha P90 sounds clangy and dullish and the Roland sounds muddy and weird. Wait until January when new models will be issued.
What's the word on the new models? Better sound, action?

I found it harder to play legato (without pedal) with the Rolands -- especially playing octave basslines in the left hand. I really had to jump from one note to the next with no delay.

BTW, my favorite non-digital keyboard (there's a relatively recent term) is the Czech hand-made Petrov grand piano. It's got a laid-back mellow sound perfect for playing Mozart.

Randall Perry
sysTame

WebObjects Hosting
Mac Consulting/Sales

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
My P-90 sounds great though headphones. My Peavey KB-1 amp makes it sound awful, however. I tried some Roland amps today that were much better (bigger speaker).

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission