Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#675780 - 12/22/01 10:31 PM Amp or monitor system?
barlowe Offline

I purchased a Kord SP100 for my daughter for Christmas. I was looking at buying a small Crate or Rowland amp (she's just gonna use the keys in her bedroom). I was recently told that buying a monitor type system is the way to go. The guy at my local music shop tried to sell me a Yamaha monitor system for $119. It included two speakers and a sub rated at 80 watts. On the box it said good for computers, walkmen, stereos and musical instruments. Since then I have seen othere similar systems made by Fostex and Rowland. My budget for and amp or monitor system need to stay under $300. Should I go with an amp of monitor system? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Steve (flyn4fun@aol.com)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#675781 - 01/08/02 02:20 AM Re: Amp or monitor system?
Shadorunnr Offline

Loc: Oklahoma City
Steve, after much thought, I have desided 6 of one and half dozen of another.....the best advise I can give is let your ears be the judge. You should try both systems at once and listen to both. If you can't use your piano on these tests, bring a small cd player with piano music. Both systems have pros and cons, but it just might be splitting hairs. If you get a small amp,they are often designed for guitars and distort easily, which is good for guitars, but not for new piano students. Of course a cheap monitor system could be prone to distortion also. Yamaha and Roland both make monitor systems and I would feel confortable using them as they should be designed to handle the load of a keyboard. An amplifier with low distortion is also a good choice. BTW 80 watts in a bedroom is LOUD! I have a 50 watt amp that I have to turn way down as it can scare the dogs down the block \:\) It uses a 15 inch speaker to handle the lows generated by my paino and organ. A monitor system generaly uses tiny speakers (in comparison) for the mains with a small sub handling the lows quite nicely. This would be good in a bedroom. Bottom line, either system should be good as long as you get a low distortion model (if you want distortion, pay $20 for a distortion stompbox and keep the amp clean). For $300 you should be able to get a good amp or monitor system with change to spare. If your daughter ever wants to play outside the bedroom, school programs,church, etc. go with the 80 watt amp as her amp will have to keep up with the other musicians, as guitarist are notorius for having 100 watt amps cranked all the way up. Be carefull of amps with small speakers as the low end may distort at higher volumes. A two way system, large woofer and a tweeter or midrange horn should handle the large range the piano has. Let your ears be your guide. Good luck!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (Atrys, AZ_Astro, Anticlock, AZNpiano, 25 invisible), 1375 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295417 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
07/31/14 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
07/31/14 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
07/30/14 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
07/30/14 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
07/30/14 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission