2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#675789 10/28/07 05:22 PM
sordess Offline OP
OP Offline
I wanted to say you all thanks! The main reason is for the enlightenment you provided me by reading several threads about buying a new Digital Piano. I found the information very usefully for my selection process.

I currently own a Yamaha P-120 and wanted to upgrade mainly for more polyphony. I looked around and my final short list was Yamaha CLP-280 and Roland HP207. I found the Roland better for my taste, especially the key texture

I finally decided to go with the Roland HP207 and just completed the installation yesterday. Since then, I can't stop playing! laugh

Robert

Sordess
Kawai CA79
Pianoteq web client - https://github.com/robert-rc2i/ptq-client-webapp
Originally posted by sordes:
I finally decided to go with the Roland HP207 and just completed the installation yesterday. Since then, I can't stop playing! laugh
Congratulations. smile

Digital Fake Book
Free Chord/Lyric Display Software for Windows.
http://mike-warren.net/digitalfakebook/
A
A
Congratulations, Robert!

I have also decided for the HP-207 (the european version in light oak).

I will be very interested to know your opinion about the piano; the best way to improve the forum even more is adding your thoughts.

Welcome,

Andrés.

W
W
congrats robert hope you have hours of fun with it.

sordess Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your nice comments.

Andrés, yes I was about to share my taughts, but wanted a few more days of playing with it.

Overall I am very please with it. It is a big improvment over my Yamaha P-120s.

Sound:
1- The first thing I noticed when I played it, was the multi-sampling per note. This gives me a better feedback when playing notes too loud. They have replicated the string raisonance when the key is striked at a lower/higher velocity.
2- Most of the sound are nice, especially those that are easily accessible from the control panel. Plus you get all the GM sounds available in the "others" button. This button is heavily used by my kids! Drum kit and sound effects, We love the Headset feature smile
3- I liked the base strings, but I found the midle keys a bit too "Feutré". I don't know how to translate tha word into an accurate description in english. The only one I have is "Felted" and I am not sure it represents what I want to say. sorry!

Keyboard:
1- The first thing I noticed is the key texture, which resemble the IVORY feel. I love it.
2- I found the key a bit lighter for my taste, since Yamaha are a bit more heavy. So I have a few adjustment to make with my fingers

Estetics
1- Well, god at home (my wife!) had her say in my decision process, since the piano is located in the living room. So, for her it was treated as a piece of furniture and she decided that I prefered this model. smile Seriously, this model was more like a Console Piano than any other we looked at. The main reason for this, is the dept of the piano. It is about 20 inches. A few inches shorter then an acoustique console.
2- Also, it has a cover, which glide all the way down to protect the keys, or half of it to hide the electronic controls. Actually, it look enough like an acoustic piano and sound enough like one that some of our friends mistakenly took the piano for an accoustic when the cover was half way down to hide the electornic controls.

Functions:
1- Well the twin piano mode was a big hit with me. Since I teach my kids, we can sit together at the keyboard and play together. This is a big plus!
2- Sound configuration. Well I am starting to play with this, but I found enough controls to be able to adjust the sound. So I'll provide more info about his aspect in a later post.
3- 3d sound effect is good and you can adjust the depht of the sound, although I do not use it.
4- Playback. You can put a wav or audio cd track in a USB key and have it play while you play. This has allowed me to avoid hooking up my laptop and plug the piano with a midi controler. It is a bit difficult to get to your file with the way they design the control on the screen.

Voila!

More will follow in another post.

Robert C

Sordess
Kawai CA79
A
A
Thank you, Robert!

Very insightful comments indeed.

I assume you own the Japan/America version; I am purchasing the european one. Someone at Roland Europe decided to change the product ... supposedly to match european tastes. The result is nice aesthetics but maybe worse speaker location/drilling.

Take a look here: http://www.roland.co.uk/digp_room_catdet.asp?id=HP207

Maybe you can guess if the difference will be noticeable compared to your piano performance: there's no lower frontal speakers nor apertures on the upper sides for the sound to breath. This is today my only concern (I couldn't test it where I live) and of course I will update you on its arrival in 10 days.

The pity is that none who has been able to listen both models side by side..... so we can only assume diferences.

Enjoy your piano!
Best wishes,

Andrés.

sordess Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Andrés,

Yes I own the North American version of this Piano. I am located in Montreal, Canada.

From the picture I can't see where the speakers are located. Is there any other picture of this model available from the site? I could not find any.

What I can tell you is with the North American version, the top oppening are not for speakers. I do not know why we have these openings, but no sound is comming from those, only from the frontal module, under the keyboard.

Pls, Tell me your impression once you get your new piano and congratulations!

Robert C

Sordess
Kawai CA79

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission