2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 20/20 Vision, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#676387 03/15/03 01:08 AM
A
Arkon Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello everyone!
I just found this WEALTH of information this evening.
I am in a difficult situation. None of my family plays piano. We live in a small house so an acoustic piano is not an option, so we go looking at digital pianos.
To make matters worse, I have an absolute cap of $2000 canadian pesos, so in my research thus far, that severely handicaps me.
We have looked at several stores in town and have narrowed it thus far to the

Technics PC25
Technics PX662 (although he wants about $2600 for this one, I'm sure we can do better than that)
Yamaha CLP120

Today we were at a repair shop, and they said that Technics are difficult to repair and can take a while to find parts. They said Yamaha were WAY overpriced, but reasonably easily repaired. They advised us to check out Roland and Korg models as they come in the least for repairs.
I am hoping to look tomorrow at some Roland and Korg pianos and see what they have to offer. So far this forum has been championing them greatly!

My wife, 6 year old son, and Twin 3 year old daughters will be learning to play on this piano, so I want to get as good of one as my modest budget will allow...If any of you could imagine being in my perdicament, which one would you choose?
What would give me the most bang for the buck?
We were very impressed by the informative/helpful Technics rep, but want to check them all out.
We aren't too concerned which bells and whistles (obviously considering the money issue) We do want the best "grand" piano sound we can find if that's at all possible.
This forum has spoken much on the "touch" and feel of the keys of different models. I suppose we'll (as we have nothing to compare them to)make due with what we get.
Can anyone please, PLEASE help us?
I'll let you know how the Roland/Korg shopping goes tomorrow.

Arkon

Life is 10% what you make it, 90% how you take it.
F
F
Arkon,

I'm familiar with the Yamaha Clavinovas, so I'll try to give some opinions about them. First, yes, the Clavinovas are notoriously overpriced in North America. I'm an American living in Spain, and prices are much more reasonabl here. The CLP-120 sells for about $1375 USD, bench included.

Basically, make the best choice that you can. I haven't seen the technics models, so I can't help out there. I can say that the CLP-120 is a fairly low-end model, and that there's a world of difference between the 120 and the 130. Perhaps, you cannot afford the 130, though. If the technics models sound better to your ears, or if these models have any obvious bonuses that the Yamaha doesn't, you might find yourself leaning toward them. You're right, though: Yamaha service is supposed to be solid.

Finally, you might want to check out the CVPUG (CVP-User's Group). Go to Yahoo; the CVPUG is a Yahoo group of Clavinova owners. Although the group is dedicated to the CVP models, there's plenty of general discussion as well. Also, you might want to check out Keyboard Centre, run by Steve Loates. This is a Canadian shop with its own Web page, and their prices are hard to beat. Many Americans have bought their Yamahas from Keyboard Centre and had it shipped abroad. I think the store is in Ontario.

Hope this helps

A
Arkon Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you for your reply...We went looking at Roland and Kawai today. We now (I think) have narrowed it down to 3 affordable pianos.

Technics px-664
Roland HP-2
Yamaha CLP-120

Any thoughts?

Life is 10% what you make it, 90% how you take it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission