Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#676408 - 04/22/07 02:12 AM A suitable digital piano keyboard for adult beginner/learner
Yowe Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi all,

I am a 30 year old man who just started learning acoustic/classical piano with a teacher.

I need a piano, and looking for a digital set to assist me in my practising and playing. I have limited/little knowledge to the type of digital piano available in the market.

To date, I have shortlisted a few of them namely:
1. P70 yamaha
2. P140 yamaha
3. Casio Privia PX series

Could you guys shed some light to the discussion, and assist me in making best choice possible for an adult beginner/learner who has no musical background in keyboard/piano? I would like to have an instrument that can accompany me for years, and helpful in my practise and learning process.

Thank you in advanced.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#676409 - 04/22/07 10:18 AM Re: A suitable digital piano keyboard for adult beginner/learner
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Welcome to the forums Yowe,

All of the digital pianos you have mentioned above will work quite well for you. As everyone on this forum will tell you, the best choice for you is based on your personal preferences in terms of touch and sound. Play as many different models as possible to understand the differences. The most important feature of a dp (digital piano) is the touch. You can improve the sound by using the dp to control a software piano on a computer, but you cannot change the touch.

Also note that dp's are closer to computers than other electronic products. The manufactures are constantly making improvements to the touch, tone and other features. Your dp will last you for years, but before then you will be greatly tempted to purchase a new one for all the improvements. I've had my Casio PX310 for less than a year and I am already looking and planning for an upgrade.

The Casio Privia models are very good, econimical models. The new PX200 and PX800 have improved polyphony and new sounds and I cannot wait to have a chance to try them out at the local stores.

Another model that I am very tempted by is the Yamaha CP33. Here in the US, this is not much more than the PX800 but feels and sounds really good.

In a higher price range, many people on the forum rave about the touch of the Kawai MP8. This is a heavy keyboard, however.

Go for the best touch you can afford first.

Then look for the best sound. Use good quality headphones as you can always improve the sound by connecting up speakers and an amp (or monitored speakers).

Polyphony (how many notes you can play at the same time) is important as you get to harder pieces. If you do start using a software piano, though, the computer will determine how many notes you can play at the same time instead of the piano. Last years Casios were 32 note polyphony. This years are 128. (This is max, some tones are in stereo and reduce the polyphony to 16 or 64.) Some people on the forums will tell you that 64 is the minimum. You will be playing some fairly advanced pieces before you run into problems with 32 note polyphony unless you layer two different sounds on top of each other.

Half pedaling will be important some time in the future.

Another factor to consider is whether you want a stage piano for portability or a console type.

You mention classical music. Is that your main goal? Is there other types of music you would like to play or sounds you would like to get from your piano. Some models are more piano oriented and others have lots of sounds and accompaniaments.

Hope this gives you some more ideas.
Rich

#676410 - 04/22/07 11:35 AM Re: A suitable digital piano keyboard for adult beginner/learner
Yowe Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciated it.

Yes, I have also considered the PX200 as well. The price of PX200 is cheaper than P140. Thats why I am hesitant between these 2 models, as the former has 128 polyphony compared to the latter 64. I am looking for a digital piano which has the closest acoustic grand piano sound and one who probably enable to last me for few good years.

Yes, I am interested in classical music - thats why I want/prefer to attend class one-on-one basis with a trained teacher. My main goal is to test and explore my limit in music playing/appreciation in piano. I am flexible and would love to play other form of music as well, provided I am competent.

Currently, I am still picking up the basic. However the progress is really slow as I do not have the opportunity to practice other than during the lesson.

You have also mentioned in your post that software piano? Please pardon me, as I am pretty a noob in this field, especially dp arena. I would love to understand and learn more from you. Is that possible?

Hope to see your reply soon.
Yowe

#676411 - 04/22/07 12:45 PM Re: A suitable digital piano keyboard for adult beginner/learner
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i'd suggest you either get a Yamaha P140 or a Casio PX200/800.

#676412 - 04/22/07 01:18 PM Re: A suitable digital piano keyboard for adult beginner/learner
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
 Quote:

You have also mentioned in your post that software piano? Please pardon me, as I am pretty a noob in this field, especially dp arena. I would love to understand and learn more from you. Is that possible?
I'm not much of an expert myself, but software pianos are basically programs that replicate piano sounds on your computer. You play them by connecting your Digital Piano to the PC, using MIDI interface. Once you do that - whenever you press the key on your piano, the computer will play the appropriate sound. The advantages of this approach are that you are no longer limited to your Digital Piano hardware, and things like polyphony, and sound quality are now all determined by your PC, which can always be upgraded.
Software Pianos come in two flavors - sampled and synthesized. The synthesized version creates piano sounds based on mathematical models, which will give you more dynamic resolution, but even to untrained ear it still sounds quite artificial. The sampled Software Pianos on the other hand, uses pre-recorded samples of real-world pianos, and using some interpolation, and a little processing plays it back when you press the key on your piano. The two leaders in this type of software are Ivory, and Akoustik. I read a lot of reviews on both and decided to go with Ivory. When properly set up, the sound is simply amazing - you can listen to some of their samples here:
Ivory Demos
Ivory Recording

Like already mentioned - touch is the most important part of the Digital Piano. You're much better off buying a cheaper piano with great touch, and not-so-great sound, than the other way around. You can get Ivory for about $300, a decent audio card for your PC for another $100, another $100 for RAM upgrade, which adds up to $500, but makes your $400 DP piano sound better than models that cost a few thousand dollars.

#676413 - 04/22/07 05:56 PM Re: A suitable digital piano keyboard for adult beginner/learner
Johan B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Yowe:

Yes, I am interested in classical music - thats why I want/prefer to attend class one-on-one basis with a trained teacher. My main goal is to test and explore my limit in music playing/appreciation in piano. I am flexible and would love to play other form of music as well, provided I am competent.

[/b]
Hi Yowe,

I read your thinkings about purchasing a digital piano and you are interested in classical music, but you want also experimentise other music.

The p70 and the p140 have small speakers. The sound is a little bit metal-like. Did you try the Yamaha YPD 131 or the Yamaha DGX620? The speakers of the dgx are better. The price is less than the p140 and you have a versatile instrument. You can use it for all kind of classical and other music.

I mostly play classical music and the dgx sounds like a real grand piano and feels like an acoustic piano. The graded hammer system is perfect. Great instrument fo less money.
The dgx has a beautifull harpischord and some good organs, but also popular music can be made on it.

Look at this site:
Yamaha personal piano\'s (http://www.yamahapersonalpianos.co.uk)

I wish you succes buying an instrument.

Grettings from Holland

Johan B

Currently working on:Sonaten of Haydn/Mozart, Suites Bach/Händel, Sonate pathetique Beethoven
'Nil volentibus arduum'

#676414 - 04/22/07 06:06 PM Re: A suitable digital piano keyboard for adult beginner/learner
Johan B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
Hi Yowe,

Sorry I made a mistake in the hyperlink.

It must be this:

Yamaha Personal Piano\'s

Greetings,

Johan

Currently working on:Sonaten of Haydn/Mozart, Suites Bach/Händel, Sonate pathetique Beethoven
'Nil volentibus arduum'

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (Alex-SapRenovation, accordeur, ajames, 48 invisible), 1733 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75515 Members
42 Forums
156156 Topics
2293215 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Keyboard/Piano £600 light up keys
by barabusm
8 minutes 36 seconds ago
July Concert Program - Performance Thread
by hreichgott
9 minutes 47 seconds ago
Recommend me a setup for jamming at home
by Gretel
10 minutes 42 seconds ago
Can You, Will You Help?
by Piano World
49 minutes 49 seconds ago
Embedded ads?
by Peyton
Today at 09:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission