Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#676451 - 04/03/02 10:05 PM Studio Amp/Speaker is a must? Can "Normal" HiFi Amp/Speaker do?
Waff Offline

I am going to buy a digital piano and now struggling between Roland FP3 (no built-in speaker) & Yamaha P120 (with built-in speaker). Originally, I preferred Roland more and planned to connect it to my home HiFi system (tube amp + ProAc speaker) instead of buying another set of studio amp/speakers. However, the salesperson told me that I have to be very careful for the level of volume since those ordinary Hifi speakers are not built for such purpose. It would be easily damaged by the strong bass/low frequency notes from digital keyboard(although I think there is also a lot of strong bass from many CD titles for the case of normal CD listening scenario). While STUDIO speakers are designed for such purpose and could stand strong punch even for prolonged usage.

Primarily, I would play piano at home and it would be fine as long as the volume is similar to that of acoustic piano. I am not sure if I really need to get a extra set of Studio amp/speakers. Any idea?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#676452 - 04/03/02 10:56 PM Re: Studio Amp/Speaker is a must? Can "Normal" HiFi Amp/Speaker do?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Hi Waff
The problem is not so much the frequency range (bass/treble) as the level of output from the keyboard. Even a CD player with variable outputs has a relatively low output level. Causing the preamp in your hi-fi system to overload can cause damage to home audio speakers.

#676453 - 04/03/02 11:55 PM Re: Studio Amp/Speaker is a must? Can "Normal" HiFi Amp/Speaker do?
Waff Offline

SteveY,

Thank you very much for your reply. Do you mean the output level of digital keyboard is relatively higher than that of CD player? If this is the case, could I simply lower the volume level but yet make the actual loudness output from speaker comparable to that of CD player.

Just let me know if I have made any misunderstanding here. Thanks.

#676454 - 04/04/02 09:04 AM Re: Studio Amp/Speaker is a must? Can "Normal" HiFi Amp/Speaker do?
German Offline

Loc: Argentina
I own a digital piano and I have it connected to a hi-fi system. I haven't got any problem.
In order to not have problems with the speakers I set the keyboard's volume very low and I turn the volume down and up with the hi-fi system's volume.
I hope this helps!

#676455 - 04/05/02 02:37 AM Re: Studio Amp/Speaker is a must? Can "Normal" HiFi Amp/Speaker do?
Shadorunnr Offline

Loc: Oklahoma City
One thing you should be aware of when hooking up a keyboard to a hi-fi system, the impedence may be different. While this may not seem to be a problem at first, but over time a mismatched impedence may "load" the preamp, causing damage. Lowering the volume does not change the impedence. You may notice on some amps or special effects that there is a guitar input and a keyboard input. The difference in impedence between these two is quite large and can cause problems over time. You might also notice a difference in volume, dynamics and clarity. There are devices to balence the impedence going into a mixer/amp/effects unit, but whether this whould work for a hi-fi, I really couldn't say. You might check with the hi-fi manufacturer for their recomendation.

#676456 - 04/05/02 01:14 PM Re: Studio Amp/Speaker is a must? Can "Normal" HiFi Amp/Speaker do?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Great post Shadorunnr! If it were me, I'd look into purchasing some inexpensive powered monitors such as those made by Boss (Roland) or Audix. They sound great, and will save your home stereo system.

I also think you're only looking at a few dollars more for the powered monitors than an impedence matching device to allow use with your home stereo.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (bennevis, Art_Vandelay, ando, barbaram, AZ_Astro, 21 invisible), 1169 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156299 Topics
2295453 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
07/31/14 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
07/31/14 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
07/31/14 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
07/30/14 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
07/30/14 10:44 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission