Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#676667 - 12/20/08 03:47 PM Fender Rhodes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello all...anyone else out there interested in Fender Rhodes related things? I'm new here but have been a Fender Rhodes tech since the early 70s.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#676668 - 12/20/08 09:30 PM Re: Fender Rhodes
FormerFF Offline

Loc: Roswell, GA, USA
I love 'em. I guess its the child of the 70's part of me that is responsible.

I'm very interested to see if the new Rhodes company actually does bring new pianos to market.
Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.

#676669 - 12/21/08 03:50 AM Re: Fender Rhodes
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Decatur, Texas
I have a Rhodes that's no longer playable. How much does it cost to rebuild one?

#676670 - 12/21/08 03:54 AM Re: Fender Rhodes
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
I have a Mk 1 which I don't play. Someday I'll get a tech to look at it. Know any near Bath? I don't want to sound a snob but, more importantly, I have a Fender Twin Reverb to go with it.

#676671 - 12/21/08 05:20 AM Re: Fender Rhodes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Joe...Check out the Rhodes Supersite on the Internet. They have just about every answer to your questions.

#676672 - 12/21/08 05:25 AM Re: Fender Rhodes
Anonymous
Unregistered

as to the release of any new Rhodes products...I wouldn't hold my breath.

#676673 - 12/21/08 05:49 AM Re: Fender Rhodes
keyboardklutz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by E.F.Kolakowski:
as to the release of any new Rhodes products...I wouldn't hold my breath. [/b]
Sadly.

#676674 - 12/22/08 12:07 AM Re: Fender Rhodes
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
E.F.Kolakowski, being a Crusaders/Joe Sample and Donny Hathaway fan, I absolute adore the Rhodes!

May I ask if you any recommendations for virtual Rhodes/Wurly instrument software? I gather that the Native Instruments 'Elektrik Piano' is supposed to be the market leader, however it would be interesting to hear the thoughts of a long-serving tech.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#676675 - 12/22/08 03:32 AM Re: Fender Rhodes
Anonymous
Unregistered

James...It's always nice to meet another Rhodes lover. As to my opinion on software and virtual keyboards, I'm afraid I don't have much belief in the value of too much of that. The Fender Rhodes and Wurlitzer electric pianos are unique in that they actually have rudimentary piano actions inside of them. Basically, this means that touch is a large part of their respective sounds. Since most synthetic sounds are played on spring-loaded or "weighted" keyboards, I think that it would be impossible to get the same results from a synth that one would get from the real thing. Oh sure, tucked into a mix, you may be able to get away with it somewhat, much like grand piano samples. But if you're going for that Joe Sample, Richard Tee, Don Grolnick sound, I'm afraid the virtual stuff would ultimately dissappoint. As the old song says: there ain't nothing like the real thing. But, please keep us posted as to what you discover. This exercise is a bit like asking Hammond organ diehards about virtual B3 software.

#676676 - 12/22/08 07:23 PM Re: Fender Rhodes
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
E.F.Kolakowski, many thanks for your reply.

An old friend of mine own's a MK1 Rhodes - it can be unreliable at times, requiring a fair bit of gentle coercion to produce sound correctly...sometimes even during a gig! However, I gather that he puts up with these idiosyncrasies because the wonderful richness and warmth of a real instrument is so rewarding, and simply impossible to recreate digitally.

Your analogy with virtual B3 software is spot on also. My father grew up playing Hammond organs, and unsurprisingly still prefers the sound of a real B3 and Leslie over any software instrument, or even the modern-day Hammond products manufactured by Suzuki.

Thank you once again for the great post - I guess I should start saving, and keep my eyes peeled for a real Rhodes!

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#676677 - 12/23/08 04:33 AM Re: Fender Rhodes
Anonymous
Unregistered

James...You think that a model MK1 needs some "gentle coercion"? You've obviously never played an old "silver top" Fender Rhodes or any of the other badly built models that came out of that factory over the years. Many, many artists hated to play those pianos but, were so seduced by the sound that they made some brave (and necessary) adjustments in their playing styles. Just to name a few: Keith Jarrett, Bill Evans, Stevie Wonder, and Herbie Hancock. Those instruments were extremely difficult to play and made some serious demands upon muscles and tendons. Be careful if you're looking to buy a used Rhodes. Play them for a long time when you are trying them out.

#676678 - 12/29/08 10:27 PM Re: Fender Rhodes
Secco Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I have a Mark II that I bought new in '81, and it's mostly been in storage since then. I recently got it out and though the keyboard action and electronics seem all fine, there's an intonation problem I can't fix. The problem is that certain notes will be on-pitch if struck at light or medium force, but may be as much as a quarter-tone different if struck more firmly. This means I can't fix it by just changing the tuning mechanism for the key, since whether I tune it sharper or flatter, the discrepancy between different strike velocities will still be there. Any thoughts?
I realize this might be more appropriate for the tech/tuner forum, but since you've worked on 'em and brought them up, I thought I'd ask.
I really do love that uniquely creamy sound, though. And it does bring back the 70's, Chick Corea, Weather Report, and Ray Charles!

#676679 - 12/30/08 07:38 AM Re: Fender Rhodes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Secco.....That sounds a bit odd to me. You say that you have replaced the tines (the thing for each note that produces the sound when struck by the hammers)and the problem remains? If so, I'd like a little more info, please.
If you haven't changed any of the tines, I'd say that you need some new ones, that should solve that intonation problem. Old tines get flabby (before they break completely)and a hard blow really sends them moving, pitch-wise, especially in the bass.
There was a great Fender Rhodes parts place in Atlanta called Numerous Complaints. I'm not sure if they're still in business but, you could look into that. Also, take a look at the Rhodes Super Site on the Web. Loads of info for you there.

#676680 - 12/30/08 10:17 PM Re: Fender Rhodes
Secco Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Clams...no, I didn't replace the tines, but I ha been wondering if the age of the tines was affecting their vibrational response, as you are suggesting. I'll look into getting new tines. Thanks for the info and the tip on the Rhodes site.

#676681 - 12/31/08 05:30 AM Re: Fender Rhodes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Secco....That's a good idea to change the tines. It is a bit time consuming and tricky but, not that difficult and well-worth the time and effort spent. If that piano has been stored for more than 25 years, it may need more than just new tines. Downlaod the technical manual from the Rhodes Supersite and see if you can figure things out. It's not that hard.
Please keep me posted as to how things go and I'll try to help you if you have further questions.

#676682 - 12/31/08 06:09 AM Re: Fender Rhodes
keyboardklutz Offline

Cool site. I may even start playing mine again (if I can get the action less stiff).

#676683 - 12/31/08 06:19 AM Re: Fender Rhodes
Anonymous
Unregistered

keyboardklutz...If you're interested, I can give you some advice as to how to get a better feel from your Rhodes. Do you have any technical ability? Also, download the tech manual from the Supersite....it's loaded with good info.

#676684 - 12/31/08 08:47 AM Re: Fender Rhodes
keyboardklutz Offline

Just downloaded that. My Rhodes lives in Bath, I'm off back to London on Friday, maybe next time I'm here I'll PM for help.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (allakart, accordeur, ajames, 46 invisible), 1639 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157243 Topics
2309475 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
Write melody contrapuntally
by kobethuy
09/02/14 03:03 PM
Yamaha N2 or CLP545
by Butteman
09/02/14 02:14 PM
Scale & Arp exercises that sounds good to people in lounge
by FarmGirl
09/02/14 01:56 PM
New to Piano World, Seeking Advice on a Spinet Regulation
by HelloMrZebra
09/02/14 01:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission