Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#677367 - 09/24/04 10:06 PM Is a 88 keys keyboard with hammer action still needed in the digital age?
haruman Offline

I am very new to music; I mostly enjoy composing electronica on Cubase, driving few software synthesizers. When I search for a melody, I use an Evolution midi keyboard, a thing made of thin plastic with a Fisherprice action (it is that bad I cannot say “synthesizer action”).
Recently I decided to improve a little bit my playing skills: I would probably benefit playing with more than one finger, and reading music from others will expose me to chords, rhythm and other things I haven’t really studied.
I have to stress: I haven’t and I will probably not play any real piano: too expensive, too much space consuming, to much maintenance. So there is no need for me to have a digital keyboard that fully mimics the real acoustic thing.
My questions are:
1) Is there a real interest to have a fully weighted keyboard with hammer action? A friend of mine told me it helps him playing in rhythm, that the resistance of keys makes the thing more “physical”. But he was trained as a child on a real piano; I am 40 and I suspect my hands are missing 30 years of training, and my muscles, tendons and maybe even my bones will probably suffer a lot before I can play ˝ an hour in a row (by the way, is there even a risk of injury?)
2) Is it really needed to have 88 keys? On a real acoustic piano, the size of keyboard is related to the size of the harmony table, so I guess the sound would be different with a 61 keys acoustic piano, but I suspect the first and last keys are not so often used in popular music. In other words: is your C1 key covered with dust?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#677368 - 09/25/04 09:47 AM Re: Is a 88 keys keyboard with hammer action still needed in the digital age?
80k Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
i've played 76 and 61 key keyboards, and running out of keys even occasionally can be frustrating. As far as the weighted issue, I see where you are getting at. The primary reason for people to get weighted keys is not because they need to "get used to" a real piano. It is because the weight and velocity-controlled keys allow for expression. Even if you never want to buy a real piano, the weighted action keys are important. You can choose between heavier action (like Yamaha) to very light action (like Roland). I imagine you should have no problems with the Roland (i personally find it too light, but many people like it).

#677369 - 09/25/04 01:30 PM Re: Is a 88 keys keyboard with hammer action still needed in the digital age?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
i started with a 49 key keyboard and then moved onto a 61 key one with touch sensitive key, and then a digital piano (pf500). running out of key do make you feel bad, because you just couldn't play a piece you want to play in its entirety.

also, you might want to know before hand that playing on a weightless keyboard has a quite different feel from playing on a piano. i remember that after i played on my keyboard for a while, one day i had a chance to play on a friend's Steinway baby grand. all of the sudden, as i tried to play something on it, i felt my fingers couldn't actually play on it at all, such different feel! i struggled quite a while before i could even play the keys on it, of course poorly, uneven, and full of mistakes. so, after that, i reset my keyboard's touch sensitive selection to the hardest level, and made a conscious choice to play with more finger strikes and staccato action, which did help me when the next time i played on a real piano. so, depending on the purpose of your playing, you might not need a piano (digital/acoustic), but at least choose a higher end keyboard with at least 'touch sensitive' function so that you could make transition easier from a weightless keyboard to a piano if you ever need to.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
09/18/14 04:44 PM
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
09/18/14 04:16 PM
Sight reading problems
by pianosNpreschooler
09/18/14 03:23 PM
Hello! I have a question about playing for cocktail parties.
by albumblatter
09/18/14 03:10 PM
Piano Concerto in F, Op. 2 Arensky, Anton
by antony
09/18/14 02:33 PM
Who's Online
112 registered (aesop, 36251, accordeur, anotherscott, ando, albumblatter, 33 invisible), 1138 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157609 Topics
2315087 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission