2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Hybr1dz Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I currently own a VERY old Yamaha PSR-195. It was what I used to first practice the piano before we bought an upright. Since then I've used it as a MIDI controller simply for note input.

Now I'm in search for a new keyboard to replace it. Here's what I'm looking for:

• Some where in the $500 to $1000 range. I can stretch the max to about $1300 but I rather stay below 1k unless there are really no options.
  • Full 88-keys, weighted (as close to a real piano as possible in my budget)
  • Great grand piano sounds out of the box for practice.
  • MIDI control: pitch wheel, modulation, knobs not absolutely necessary but I would really like it. It has to at least be velocity sensitive for inputting notes.

I can't really try out any keyboards (well the ones I'm actually interested in) so I need to rely on the community's suggestions. I don't consider myself a real musician of any sort. More of a hobbyist who is adept at using Reason and FL Studio on my spare time and someone who plays the piano for pleasure. The only traveling this keyboard will go through is within the house.

I've looked at the M-Audio Prokeys 88. This would have been my ideal keyboard had it not been known for clunky action and not so great piano sounds. I couldn't find any other keyboard that can compete with the Prokeys as a piano/MIDI controller at that price range.

I've considered the Casio Privia PX-320. I know it has no pitch bend/modulation wheels but I heard it's a great digital piano. Great sounds and great feel at a terrific price. I just wished it had more MIDI controls.

Another keyboard I looked at is the Yamaha YPG-635. I heard the GHS action is not so great. For Yamaha models, I would prefer GHE action.

Two keyboards that are just out of my price range include the Kurzweil SP2X and the Yamaha CP33 both of which have all the features I'm looking for. They're just a bit expensive.

Are there any other keyboards I should look at? Do you think it's really worth it to go just a little beyond my price range?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I personally would try to find something with a pitch wheel. If it wasn't for that Privia's would be ideal.

H
Hybr1dz Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Yes, I was thinking long and hard on whether or not I REALLY must have a pitch wheel. I do use pitch bend often and it doesn't have a natural touch when I do the bend with a mouse. I always end up having to tweak it by hand in software. At the same token, I can't find a nice sounding keyboard with a pitch wheel under $1K. I thought the Prokeys 88 was perfect until I researched it's feel and sound as a piano.

I agree, the Privia would be an ideal choice if it had a pitch wheel.

Originally posted by Hybr1dz:

I agree, the Privia would be an ideal choice if it had a pitch wheel.
To date, there are only two Casio digital pianos that have pitch bend wheels and these are:

1) Casio Privia PX-410R/575R - this is an older model but the only Privia DP which has a larger LCD screen, several built-in drum sets, 6-track sequencer and a lot of instrument sounds.
Downside: 32-note polyphony

EDIT: There is an even older, discontinued model in the Privia series which happened to be the PX-400 (predecessor of the PX-410R); it has a pitch-bend wheel as well. Unlike the PX-410R, the PX-400 is no longer available...unless you find one in e-bay (as "used" or 2nd-hand, that is). The PX-410R, however, is still being sold in other on-line stores (or possibly in some music shops/stores).

2) Casio CDP-200R - this is a recently released 88-key digital piano that "mimics" the PX-410R in terms of larger LCD screen and some of its functionality. It has a basic sampler and arpeggiator as well in addition to a lot of instrument sounds.
Downside: 48-note polyphony (they should've made it at least a 64-note polyphony)

So there you have it...the only Casio DPs equipped with a Pitch-Bend wheel.

If you're going to be jumping into the VSTi bandwagon...and would be hooking up your DP to a PC via MIDI and using the various VST piano samples currently available, then polyphony shouldn't be much of a problem.

If you really want to have good MIDI control (sliders/knobs/faders and all), then you're looking into the $1,800-3,000 DPs from Roland, Yamaha, Kurzweil, Nord etc.

Or you have another alternative :

1. Get a sub-$800 or sub-$1,000 DP.
2. Then get a 25-key or even a 49-key dedicated MIDI controller like the E-MU Xboard 25 which you can use to add MIDI controller events like pitch-bend, modulation etc. to any particular MIDI note that you've already recorded via MIDI from your digital piano.

PX-5S FA-06 LaunchKey 61 SL-MKII Graphite 49; VST: Pianoteq 6+Bluethner UVI TrueKeys EWQL-SO + Hollywood Strings/Brass, AAS GS-2+LL EP4 Sonokinetic; Mobile DAW ROG G751J: i7 4720 32GB RAM 250+500 GB SSD Scarlett 6i6 TS110A x2; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfiQst_xQwNgKL_FS9OXSKw
H
Hybr1dz Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks for the reply BeowulfX. I couldn't find the CDP-200R anywhere except from an online store based in the UK but it looks interesting.

Do you know of any other DPs that have a pitch wheel while featuring 88 graded keys?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Get 2 keyboards.
A casio for the 88 weighted keys.
And maybe a Roland PCR-800 for all the controls you can handle.

That'd be $500 + $300 or less...

That's what I did.
Well, I got a Yamaha CP-33, out of your price range instead of the Casio.
http://shazware.com/piano/rig.html

...Steve

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
H
Hybr1dz Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thank you for the replies. I did look into the cheap MIDI controller + Privia combination. But then I happened to find a Privia PX120 at BestBuy. I tried it out and while the feel seems good, the key edges are a bit rough. Not a problem most of the time but when I play tenths it's a cause for concern. Wasn't completely sold on the sound either but for the price I think it's a very good deal. Still, my experience with Privia has made me reconsider getting it.

Furthermore, I just realized zZounds is now selling the Kurzweil SP2X for 899.99. It's exactly what I want. I think I'll be going with the SP2X.

Thanks for all your help!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
You might want to look into a Suzuki SS-90 or SS-100. They are not all that great sounding and durability can be an issue but they have the MIDI support you want, a decent fully weighted keyboard, pitch wheels and mod wheels and you can probably get one at closeout for around $200 if you shop around.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I would definitely recommend the CP33, although its out of your price range.

Would you consider buying 2nd hand DPs? You can probably get a better model for less money but I realize some people don't want 2nd hand items.

H
Hybr1dz Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I'll consider 2nd hand DPs if I can try them out locally. I've looked around and unfortunately I didn't find anything of interest.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission