Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#678669 - 01/22/06 02:31 PM Yamaha P-90. One amp for lower notes, a second for the upper notes
w_scott_iv@yahoo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Virginia
Re: the Yamaha p-90 (and I apologize for being fairly ignorant about electronics), there are two 1/4" outputs - L/L+R and R. I can't determine the purpose of these, unless it's just a way to send the top of the keybd to an additional amp or channel. Both outputs seem to carry both sides of the kybd. Regardless of how I use these outputs I don't hear a difference in sound. Also, I have been trying to play the bass in one amp and the piano in another amp(split keybd)so that I'd have separate tone and volume controls. Yamaha says it's not possible. That just doesn't seem right. Any thoughts?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#678670 - 01/22/06 03:07 PM Re: Yamaha P-90. One amp for lower notes, a second for the upper notes
pianomad Offline

Loc: USA
The audio outputs on your keyboard seem pretty standard. The left channel also serves as a mono channel (hence L + R).

Yamaha is correct in saying you can't send different keyboard regions to different amps, if you only have the outputs you list. The only thing I could suggest is panning one sound hard right and the other hard left and sending L and R to two different amps. But I don't know if your keyboard will allow individual panning of sounds. I've owned modules that had multiple outputs to which you could assign individual patches, but I haven't come across lower-end keyboards that offered the same.

"Moralists have no place in an art gallery" ---Han Suyin

"Paint's not really a great thing to bring into a museum" ---Adam Sorenson, The Shape of Things

#678671 - 01/22/06 04:11 PM Re: Yamaha P-90. One amp for lower notes, a second for the upper notes
ranakor Offline

each output isn't supposed to carry a diferent part of the keyboard but whatever would get sent to one speaker if you try recording in stereo you'll notice that while both channels will have a similar look they won't be exactly the same this is because there is a bit more bass coming from the left & a bit more treble from the right but it definately isn't all the left keys on left speakers etc it's just something that makes it blend better

#678672 - 01/23/06 01:10 PM Re: Yamaha P-90. One amp for lower notes, a second for the upper notes
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Those are stereo outputs. They're usually used for recording. The idea is to match the stereo panning you hear when you plug headphones into the keyboard. For live play, it's more common to use the mono L+R output and send it to the foh mixer. But some keyboard players use a pair of powered monitors like Mackie's or JBL G2's to the immediate left and right of their keyboards. Lately I've been seeing live keyboard players just send that L+R mono out to their own Bose PAS pole sitting right behind them.

If you really want to send your zones and splits to different places, that's usually done with multi-zone midi controllers and external midi boxes with their own audio outs. Though I bet something like the Korg Oasis with it's 10 outputs might be able to do it all by itself.

Howard

#678673 - 01/23/06 04:06 PM Re: Yamaha P-90. One amp for lower notes, a second for the upper notes
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
The P90 only has master/final mix outputs and no assignable outs. This means that the outputs labeled L/L+R & R, are the final outputs of all the voices in the mix/performance including effects, eq, etc.

There is no way to split the mix into seperate outputs on this board.

If out want a mono mix output, ensure that ONLY the L/L+R jack has a plug in it. If there is a plug in both the L and R sockets then each will send its respective signal (i.e. stereo) (yes they are different).

Rodney

#678674 - 01/24/06 10:43 AM Re: Yamaha P-90. One amp for lower notes, a second for the upper notes
w_scott_iv@yahoo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for all your comments! Walt

#678675 - 01/24/06 11:04 AM Re: Yamaha P-90. One amp for lower notes, a second for the upper notes
Theodore Offline

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
The way the samples are reproduced on most digital pianos, certainly the P90 as well, the field of depth, the perceptual part about getting a grand piano sound, is only decent sounding IF it is in stereo. Listen to your piano sound through headphones and you will find the sound that really makes the thing tick: stereo reproduction of a grand piano. Try to simulate this headphone sound in all "live" perfromances from your P90, otherwise you are only getting half (that's 50%) of the intended sound of the instrument.

#678676 - 01/24/06 02:21 PM Re: Yamaha P-90. One amp for lower notes, a second for the upper notes
w_scott_iv@yahoo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My son also told me that I really needed to hear my P90 via the headphones to fully appreciate it. Unfortunately, my daughter 'borrowed' the adapter to fit my small plug into the 1/4" headphone jacks. Having just ck'd the piano, I see it uses 2 jacks, so I guess I should have headphones w/2 jacks?

#678677 - 01/24/06 02:39 PM Re: Yamaha P-90. One amp for lower notes, a second for the upper notes
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
I think the reason you have 2 headphone jacks is so 2 people can listen - you'd use this for playing a duet.

I think the sound from each is the same.

#678678 - 01/24/06 02:43 PM Re: Yamaha P-90. One amp for lower notes, a second for the upper notes
w_scott_iv@yahoo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

OK, thanks. Then I'm all set once I replace the adapter!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
133 registered (accordeur, *windowlicker*, AaronM, Alpiano, 47 invisible), 1706 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75921 Members
42 Forums
156890 Topics
2305261 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stabilise tuning on old grand
by michaelopolis
Today at 02:18 PM
Pierre-Laurent Aimard Ticket for sale
by Fugue14
Today at 01:18 PM
A New Piano Brand is Coming
by Steve Cohen
Today at 12:21 PM
YAMAHA SILENT PIANO HQ 300 SX - Information please!
by ernani
Today at 10:52 AM
CA95 and HP-508
by Alpiano
Today at 09:47 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission