Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#678940 - 06/08/08 10:19 AM Hammond Organ
Keanefan Offline

Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Keane band plays Hammond Organ in several songs. But is it possible for someone who knows to play piano to play this Hammond Organ?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#678941 - 06/09/08 05:06 PM Re: Hammond Organ
Ken Knapp Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I'm not sure which model Hammond they have but I can answer generically.

It would be very much similar, in fact, many church organists ended up with the job because they could play piano, not organ. You'll pretty much play left hand on the lower manual and right hand on the upper.

Where you get into the differences are with things like the expression pedal - it will be a bit different using your right foot to vary the volume, as well as if you use your left foot for the bass pedals. Then there are the drawbars. They will affect the harmonics in the notes. You will have to play with them to get the tone you want. Initially you might just set them and then play, but I see the pros adjusting settings to get different tones as they play.

Then there is the leslie speaker if the organ has one. as you play you would use the swithch to change speeds to get different effects.

Those are the things that come to mind.

Ken

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician

#678942 - 06/09/08 05:37 PM Re: Hammond Organ
Tim Wat Offline

Loc: Northern California
If memory serves Keane are big Yamaha users - apart from the ubiquitous CP70 the live rig includes an S90 and a Nord Lead. Drummer plays Yammie drums as well.

That's not to say it's not real tonewheels on the record, but I'm betting it's S90 live...there seems to be little MIDI chicanery involved in their live setup far as I can tell.

Obviously both Hammond and piano share at least one thing in common - the keyboard. So you'll be able to pick out chords and lead lines immediately.

But things depart from there - the entire musical vocabulary of the venerable Hammond organ is distinct and separate from piano - the Hammond is indeed it's own instrument - often imitated but never really replicated.

The deeper you listen to real organists (Jimmy Smith, Groove Holmes, Joey DeFrancesco, etc.), the more you find that voicings, timbre, expression and volume, sustain, and countless other techniques and ways of approaching musical concepts on the Hammond form a different vocabulary which is a deep well to draw from. Things that simply cannot be done on a piano (for instance, a slow swell on held Bb13 to full volume, add a dash of upper drawbar, brake the Leslie, and smear down) add a different type of expression unique to the Hammond.

Not to cloud the issue too much - you'll be able to jump in with a great deal of satisfaction on either the real thing (if you have access to a real Hammond) or a decent emulation (most of the good workstation synths, or one of the many 'clonewheels' out there nowadays).

My advice would be to find a Hammond or emulation and start playing exploring, while adding in healthy doses of listening to the recordings of real Hammond players.

Tim

#678943 - 06/09/08 07:24 PM Re: Hammond Organ
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
The weighted action used by most digital pianos will perhaps be too heavy for most organ players.

Therefore, I would recommend picking up a cheap second hand synth from eBay, with a light, 'waterfall' type action.

Next, MIDI it up to a PC or Mac running Native Instruments' B4, and play around with the various presets.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#678944 - 06/09/08 10:49 PM Re: Hammond Organ
wildpaws Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA
Repeat after me: "there is no substitute for a Hammond organ. Period." Now I say that partly kidding, but there is some truth to it. If you are a good pianist, you should not have a difficult time transitioning to a Hammond organ, though you will have to learn new areas mentioned earlier like bass pedals, drawbars, etc. There are Hammond "clones" out there that do a pretty good job of emulating the Hammond sound, I can even do a pretty good one on my Yamaha SY77 synth, through my Leslie cabinet most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference. It would be difficult (though not impossible) to do Hammond style playing on a weighted key action, a synth style unweighted keyboard is much easier for organ riffs. Almost forgot, check out this Hammond player, Barbara Dennerlein at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ut7yIuCEY .
Clyde

#678945 - 06/10/08 12:01 AM Re: Hammond Organ
Ken Knapp Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
 Quote:
Originally posted by wildpaws:
Repeat after me: "there is no substitute for a Hammond organ. Period." [/b]
A man after my own heart!! \:D

Ken

Piano Organ Depot
http://www.pianoorgandepot.com
Hammond Organ Technician

#678946 - 06/10/08 03:53 AM Re: Hammond Organ
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Apparently Hammond is now working on an affordable, electronic version of their organs for release in the coming year.

#678947 - 06/10/08 08:06 PM Re: Hammond Organ
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Hammond was taken over by Suzuki a number of years ago. Since this time, their instruments have begun to embrace portability at an improved price.

As for the "no substitute for a real Hammond" argument, the 'KeyB' and 'KeyB Duo' produced by an Italian company have garnered a considerable amount of positive attention in recent months.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=eLdF1jUj99A

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#678948 - 06/13/08 03:10 PM Re: Hammond Organ
ginger_vitys Offline

Loc: Nashville TN
I am a former Nashville session musician and have been playing keyboards some 30 years. I own a 1963 Hammond B3, an acoustic piano, and a Roland RD700GX. My training is in classical piano. These days I work on developing hand independence for playing Hammond jazz trio styles. My greatest musical skill is playing CD's.

Any pianist moving to organ will immediately confront the problem of tactile and muscle memory acquired by former study of piano. This is one of the most difficult obstacles to overcome to be able to play the organ with full relaxation in hands and arms with accuracy, speed, and agility.

It takes a long time and considerable practice to learn the very light touch required for the organ. Unlike piano technique, there is virtually no use of arm weight, and no ability to effect the tone by velocity. Moreover, the organ's lack of a sustain pedal is very unforgiving- there's no way to fudge your errors.

One way to learn the tactile sensations of organ technique is to transcribe and play jazz solos. In order to play them at speed, one must sufficiently relax the hand and arm, thus learning the required tactile sensation.

Attempting to play the organ manuals with pianistic technique will result in sloppiness, tension, and eventually will wear on the organ mechanics. As Joey D says, "I never wear anything out because my touch is so light." That's the key.

#678949 - 06/13/08 03:14 PM Re: Hammond Organ
ginger_vitys Offline

Loc: Nashville TN
Hammond organs are like cats: no one owns one. We're merely custodians for a season.

#678950 - 06/17/08 06:39 PM Re: Hammond Organ
WRB-Greg Offline

Loc: CT
I have a Hammond Porta-B that I used to "lug" around. When Hammond came out with the XK2, which was the first electronic Hammond that sounded real enough for me, I bought it. I haven't looked back. You MUST have a "tube" Leslie amplifier to get the true sound. A Leslie 145/147 is fine, and they still make them.
My recommendations would be to get an XK2 or an older "real" Hammond and play around with it. The stops (draw bars) are what you use to "color" the sound (mixing different pitches together in each note). A real Hammond is an amazing instrument that I took to within a few months. I hate to say this, but I actually enjoy playing my Hammond organs (with a Leslie, of course) as much as a good Piano!
Once you're looking to get a real rig, there is only one company, IMO, to speak with. Goff Professional in Newington, CT. Their web site is http://www.goffprof.com and they can customize your matched Hammond/Leslie pair to give you the full, rich sound these instruments are known for. FYI - they're clients are impressive. Check out the site.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (ando, Alux, AtomicBond, 22 invisible), 1402 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153620 Topics
2251552 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
04/21/14 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission