Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#679008 - 06/07/07 08:31 PM Roland HP-207
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Yesterday I played the HP-207, and have decided to purchase two of them! One will be for my home studio, and the other will be for the chapel at my church, where the choir rehearses.

One thing that was interesting was how different the instrument sounded against the wall, v. pulled out from the wall, facing the centre of the room. There was a much more natural bass response when the instrument was not up against the wall.

Very nice keyboard action for piano. The best I've played.

The Satin Black is not available in Canada yet, but Roland says, "soon", whatever that means! Hopefully by August, when I plan to make the purchases.

I think the standard Mahogany colour is really ugly, but the sales person I was dealing with says it is quite popular.

Anyway, I'm excited, and looking forward to the arrival of these instruments.

Well done, Roland!

Lawrence
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#679009 - 06/09/07 04:13 AM Re: Roland HP-207
Daren Offline

Loc: Staffordshire,England
I have had the Hp-107 for a couple of years and apart from the features how is the piano sound in comparison to this new 207,I often think that the sound in the middle keyboard is a bit dull and to much of a thundering bass in the lower keyboard part.

Regards
Daz

#679010 - 06/09/07 12:46 PM Re: Roland HP-207
1000 Post Club Member

I agree that the bass is too strong (for my tastes) when the HP207 is up against the wall. I believe that was the same thing for the HP107. I imagine you can EQ a smoother bass response.

In both my home studio and the church, the HP207 will not be backing on to a wall, so the bass response should be more "normal".

I'm not familiar enough with the HP107 to comment on a sound comparison.

#679011 - 06/10/07 03:10 AM Re: Roland HP-207
fogwall Offline

Loc: Sweden
Hi Lawrence,

I believe we have been in contact before... I have your CD! \:\)

Just to share my experience of the HP-207. I agree, the HP-207 has a very nice keyboard. My impression of the HP-207 (I tried it out in the Frankfurt Musikmesse a couple of months ago) is that they have sort of given up the, not that authentic, double escapement feature which was offered in HP-107. It is not as apparent in the HP-207 although they claim it is still there in the spec.

The HP-207 fortunately replaced the plastic keys with a wooden ivory feel, actually very similar to the new Kawai CA series. The only thing I miss is the soundboard speaker system of the Kawai CA-91, it really impressed on me, like playing a real acoustic. If you have not yet tried the CA-91, I suggest you to do it prior to purchase.

I could not analyse the piano sound though - it was too noisy (or rather chaotic) in the exhibition room...

#679012 - 06/10/07 01:21 PM Re: Roland HP-207
1000 Post Club Member

Niclas ~

We have indeed been in touch before, and I have your CD!

I will take your advice and check out the new Kawai CA91. I didn't like the sound of the CA9 when I tried it out about 2 years ago. Hopefully the CA91 has improved in that respect.

BTW, I'm listening to your music (again) as I write this. Great stuff!

Regards from Canada.

Lawrence

#679013 - 06/10/07 02:09 PM Re: Roland HP-207
Climber Offline

Loc: Colorado
I tried a Roland HP107 and liked its realistic action. I'm waiting for the new Kawai MP8II to come out so that I can compare the two.
I can't comment on sounds since I didn't pay that much attention to the sounds of the HP107 (I'm only looking for a midi controller with realistic action).
By the way, you DP dealers out there:
Please contact me if you've got a DP with a blown sound board but the midi is still fully functional. I'd be interested in the Roland HP series, Yamaha CP, MP or CVP series or any Kawai with a Awa Pro Action II.
email: Jumbo211@hotmail.com
I wouldn't expect a warranty.

#679014 - 06/10/07 08:42 PM Re: Roland HP-207
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fogwall:
If you have not yet tried the CA-91, I suggest you to do it prior to purchase.
[/b]
One challenge here will be the Kawai pricing, which at least locally is much more expensive than either Roland or Yamaha. Roland and Yamaha are very similarily priced.

Don't forget I'll be getting two instruments, so the Kawai may well be out of my price range.

Lawrence

#679015 - 06/11/07 01:32 PM Re: Roland HP-207
fogwall Offline

Loc: Sweden
 Quote:
Don't forget I'll be getting two instruments, so the Kawai may well be out of my price range.
Perhaps you can get discount? Two for the price of one? ;\)

In any case, the HP-207 will not be a bad choice.

Playing your CD again...

#679016 - 06/11/07 06:30 PM Re: Roland HP-207
1000 Post Club Member

The price for the HP-207 in my part of the world, and in Canadian dollars is $3,700. The price of the CA91 is in the $7,000 + range, so the Kawai is simply too expensive.

I do intend to get a bit of a discount for buying two Roland units, but "two for the price of one" would be rather optimistic!

Another point. No local Kawai dealer has a CA91 in stock. (Kawai dealers are few and far between, which also contributes - I suspect - to less discounting.)

Now I have to sell off some gear, to pay for this, starting with my Roland RD-700sx!

#679017 - 06/12/07 06:09 PM Re: Roland HP-207
1000 Post Club Member

I placed an order today for two HP207's.

Lawrence

#679018 - 06/13/07 12:47 AM Re: Roland HP-207
Robert de Bruin Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Congratulations! I believe the new HP series are very promising. Did you compare the HP207 to the HP203 (and maybe the HP204, if this type was available to you) and how did you rate the differences?

#679019 - 06/13/07 09:36 PM Re: Roland HP-207
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks. It feels good to have made the decision. I only looked at the HP207, so can't comment on the other models. However, I can say that the simulated ivory has a nice tactile feel to it.

Lawrence

#679020 - 07/22/07 02:23 PM Re: Roland HP-207
1000 Post Club Member

They should be arriving next week. I believe one has arrived at the store, but they will have to pick up the second one from the supply depot. I'm looking forward to this!

#679021 - 07/22/07 03:02 PM Re: Roland HP-207
Daren Offline

Loc: Staffordshire,England
I am also looking at the 207,but my dealer hasn't got one yet to try out,so your comments will be very appreciable and it would be great if you had any demos of the piano sound.

Not even being able to find any demos on the internet is quite frustrating.The roland site does do a demonstration video but I find it to be very poor when they dont really demo the main piano sound,more so on features and other sounds.

Daz

#679022 - 07/25/07 09:46 PM Re: Roland HP-207
Pianomadam Offline

Loc: Southern United States
The HP-207 is quite frankly the best sounding digital piano I've ever played. You made a wise decision. By the way, if you like singing along with your own CD's, buy an external CD drive with a USB cord and hook it up to USB port on the HP-207 which can read both audio and midi information. WHen the CD is playing back you can center cancel the voice out of the recording, or even transpose the actual recording up or down! Very cool stuff.

Family of Steinway-Designed Pianos (Steinway & Sons, Boston, Essex) Dealer

#679023 - 07/26/07 04:48 AM Re: Roland HP-207
andgold Offline

Loc: Spain
Hello, Pianomadam.

Have you ever tried the Yamahas with iAFC? (CLP-270/280 or CVP 307/309). I need the opinion from someone who tested them comparing with the HP-207 piano sound richness.

Any feedback will be extremely appreciated.

Best,

Angold.

#679024 - 07/26/07 10:01 AM Re: Roland HP-207
1000 Post Club Member

I evaluated the CLP-270 and CLP-280, but in the end decided to go for the HP-207.

They are all excellent keyboards, but you really need to play them to make a proper final decision, IMHO.

Lawrence

#679025 - 07/26/07 12:20 PM Re: Roland HP-207
Mechanical Doll Offline

Loc: Garden State, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Melodialworks Music:
I evaluated the CLP-270 and CLP-280, but in the end decided to go for the HP-207. [/b]
Would it be too much to hope that there's a thread or chart somewhere that compares the Yamaha CLP-200s to the HP-200's? \:D

Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life. ~Jean Paul Richter

#679026 - 07/26/07 11:46 PM Re: Roland HP-207
Pianomadam Offline

Quote:
Have you ever tried the Yamahas with iAFC? (CLP-270/280 or CVP 307/309). I need the opinion from someone who tested them comparing with the HP-207 piano sound richness.[/b]
 Quote:
--The CVP's I played about one year ago and was quite impressed. I'd have to compare the pianos side by side to give my best answer. Both pianos are fantastic. I think it really comes down to other features (e.g. follow the lights on the CVP, lesson feature on Roland) if you are comparing the two best digital piano brands out there.

#679027 - 07/26/07 11:56 PM Re: Roland HP-207
WhiteBear Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
What "lesson feature" on Roland HP-207 are we talking about

#679028 - 07/27/07 12:24 AM Re: Roland HP-207
Pianomadam Offline

On the Hpi and KR series, not on the HP-series. Sorry for the confusion.

#679029 - 07/27/07 12:52 AM Re: Roland HP-207
WhiteBear Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Yes, those displays and software are nice on HPi and KR series.
I wish Roland would bring PHA-II into those series soon.
There were thoroughly discounted HPi-6 in one of the stores around us, but we could not possibly consider going back from PHA-II :rolleyes: .

#679030 - 07/27/07 11:44 AM Re: Roland HP-207
andgold Offline

Thank you, Lawrence and PianoMadam.

The fact is that I still wasn't able to test the iAFC on the Yamahas and really wonder if I will be missing a most important feature in true sound creation if opting for the otherwise more featured and modern looking Roland HP-207.

Mechanical Doll: I am not sure that a chart can really compare both pianos with depth. It can be prepared gathering both manufacturers info, but some features, specially the touch of the keyboard and the piano sound when listened from the device speakers can't be measured and thus I must trust the always subjetive impressions of each board member.

I need you all!... More insight will be so appreciated.

REGARDS,

ANDRÉS.

#679031 - 07/27/07 03:19 PM Re: Roland HP-207
stringless Offline

Loc: Idiocracy, USA
Roland is no slouch in replicating the sound and feel of a real piano. I found the HP201 and KR117 to be a much more convincing fake than the Yamahas in the same store -- forgot model numbers, but one of those Clavinovas was $10,000 USD. The HP201, in contrast, is about $1600 USD.

Maybe this link will help. This is 10 year old information, but it'll show you the level of insanity Roland goes to, to make a digital piano with less compromises. Things have only gotten better since that document was written.

Roland considers the entire instrument the sound source. Not just the speakers, but the whole instrument. All of it.

I spent hours comparing Yamaha to Roland, using a William Knabe (samick) grand as a "sanity check."

In the end it was as clear. There was no doubt. The PHA II roland action, and Roland's samples, bested the Yamahas the dealer had, including a 10,000 dollar unit. It wasn't even fair. It literally was as mis-matched as bringing a knife to a gunfight. Mind you, that's my opinion.

I was under the impression that Yamaha was the King of Digital, mainly thanks to Yamaha's marketing -- but after experiencing what Roland has to offer.. sorry, but no. To my tastes, to my fingers, the Rolands steamroller everyone else into the ground.

Read the link I posted. I learned tons from it.... mainly, why is it that the Roland samples sound so much more life-like, and why their pianos just feel more "real." It's more than just action and sounds.. And keep in mind that link is 10 years old.. memory, processing speed, all of it has gotten so much better since.

I got a 201. Fantastic piano. And that's just their entry level. Haven't seen the 207, but did play the KR117 "Grand" -- and that one almost had me considering selling a kidney to get it ;\)

A hammered piano, minus the strings. Brilliant!

#679032 - 07/27/07 04:45 PM Re: Roland HP-207
1000 Post Club Member

Interesting article. I'd like to see it updated to deal with current technology. However, I'm also sure that other companies could write convincing articles about their approach, as well!

Lawrence

PS - When the pianos arrive (next Thurs) I will post some realtime impressions of the HP-207.

#679033 - 08/10/07 10:09 PM Re: Roland HP-207
andgold Offline

Hi, Lawrence!

Did you enjoy your HP-207?

Please keep us updated.

Regards,

Andres.

#679034 - 08/10/07 11:14 PM Re: Roland HP-207
1000 Post Club Member

Delivery delayed about a month. One unit is sitting at the store (in the next city, about 1/2 hour down the highway) but I'm still waiting for the store to receive the second unit - then they will deliver both.

Apparently Roland ships from Japan once per month.

They are not shipping many Satin Black units, at least initially, until they determine the demand for them.

So, hopefully soon! In the meantime, my bank account has money it it!

Lawrence

#679035 - 08/11/07 10:15 AM Re: Roland HP-207
andgold Offline

Thank you for the update, Lawrence.

I have also asked about the satin black version at my local dealer, they told me that it would take around 2 months. I am still considering several options, that's why I want to know your opinion.

I guess here in Europe the non-black versions are made in Italy and have better price and faster delivery. It's really curious to see that Roland Italy has decided to make their own fine-tuning on the cabinet design. Hrere are some links:

HP-207: International version (Japan, US): http://www.roland.co.jp/products/jp/HP207/images/HP207-MH_L.jpg

HP-207e: European Version: http://es.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/ROLAND+HP207ERW.JPG

The main differences are in the feet metal finish and colour of the simulated wood.

We'll keep looking forward to your units delivery, which I wish you to be soon.

Best,

Andrés.

#679036 - 08/13/07 05:07 PM Re: Roland HP-207
Christian Musician Offline

Loc: Edmonton
Thanks everyone for their help and Lawrence for the updates.

My brother and I have been looking at this model for a few weeks and we felt we needed some input from someone other than the dealer. So again, thank you very much!

When I played the HP207 I fell in love right away with the Ivory feeling keys and the PH II with Escapement. The features are just the right amount, not so much that I wouldn't use half of them, and the sound is incredible. The bass is a little strong like some have said, but other than that it sounds beautiful.

We'll definitely keep looking forward to your keyboard delivery Lawrence!

Sara

Nothing much...
Maple Leaf Rag (Scott Joplin)

#679037 - 08/14/07 07:02 PM Re: Roland HP-207
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:

The bass is a little strong like some have said, but other than that it sounds beautiful.
[/b]
Sara -

I found the bass response too strong, as well, until the piano was pulled out from the wall. When not too close to the wall, the bass repsonse seemed to be spot on, and not too strong.

Lawrence

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Associate Diploma repertoire
by lacrymosa85
09/17/14 07:55 AM
Questions for those that use dremel for hammer shaping.
by UnrightTooner
09/17/14 07:29 AM
Pianoteq vs Digital Piano vs Acoustic Piano
by wildpig
09/16/14 11:57 PM
Baldwin Hamilton 1941
by JMN12
09/16/14 11:13 PM
Tucson, AZ: Is Arizona Room a bad place for a piano?
by Paul678
09/16/14 08:14 PM
Who's Online
117 registered (allakart, *windowlicker*, anotherscott, 39 invisible), 1196 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76230 Members
42 Forums
157575 Topics
2314590 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission