Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
76 registered (beet31425, Beemer, A2mom, AZNpiano, 36251, 17 invisible), 1077 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#679270 - 01/09/03 02:14 PM Specific Qs to Finalize Buying Decision
Kris_dup1 Offline

Loc: Northwest
Folks,

I read through the illuminating and informative digital piano vs acoustic piano discussions posted here in the last 18 months. I have decided to get started with a digital piano for about $2000. However, I still have a few questions to help finalize my buying decision. Your input will be much appreciated.

Here are my higher priority needs:

1. A platform to learn to play the Piano for myself and my ten year old son. We both logged about 4 months of lessons on an entry level keyboard and are ready to move up.
2. Sound is more important than looks. Since it is apparently easy to add new sounds via an external sound bank, the emphasis is on a good graded hammer keyboard with good basic voices.

Here are the medium priority needs:

3. Easy portability within the home.
4. Availability of software, sound libraries etc to help me, a computer programmer by profession, tinker with MIDI capabilities.

Here are the models I'm focusing on but if you have other candidates in the price/feature range, please let me know.

1. Yamaha PF500
2. Yamaha YDP223
3. Roland KR-177

Here are my questions.

1. The KR-177 has a floppy drive and the dealer showed my how I can insert a floppy that accompany lesson books to help practice at home. This looks quite useful, especially to recall how the piece is supposed to sound. If I want this feature, is the floppy drive the only option? It appears that I could get a CD/floppy to run on my computer and hook it up to the digital piano and use that instead of a builtin floppy drive. The reason being most digital pianos with floppy drives are priced much higher than 2K.

How practical is it to use lesson accompanying music to learn? I would imagine it is not difficult to find software for Roland/Yamaha that runs on a PC. Please let me know if this is a correct assumption.

2. The Roland dealer said Yamaha samples only its own acoustic pianos whereas Roland samples the better sounding Steinways. That may be true, but is that a big difference?

3. The KR-177 and YDP223 both had 20W speakers that were built into the cabinets and they sounded much better than the PF500 which has 30W speakers that are visible on the top of the unit. I'm assuming that the placement of the speakers in the cabinet made a noticeable difference. Or did I just not hear enough of the PF500 i.e. is there no difference in speaker placement?

4. What is the availability and price of decent sound/voice libraries to extend the voices built in. Do both Rolands and Yamahas in general work well with such voice libraries? I'm assuming the libraries are MIDI compatible and a good implementation on the digital piano is needed to bring out the best. This, however, is a lower priority than basic usability and ability to learn.

5. The Roland dealer wants to sell me a used KR-177 (used in a music lesson classroom for about 9 months) for about 2500. That sounds quite expensive for a used KR-177 compared to the 1500 for ydp223 and 2000 for pf500. I saw some discussion about wear and tear on digital pianos and am wondering if that should steer me to a new piano unless the price is right on a used one.

I know this is a boat load of questions but I hope others like me can also learn from the responses.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#679271 - 01/09/03 08:39 PM Re: Specific Qs to Finalize Buying Decision
JimM Offline

Loc: Northern California
I have a Roland KR (model 1077). Here are some opinions (for what they're worth):

1) You can connect a computer to your keyboard through midi and run a program called a sequencer (lots available, from cheap to costly) to play the midi files that accompany your lesson books. This is more flexible than the built-in sequencer and floppy, but not nearly as convenient. You'd need a midi interface for your computer, and would probably also need a sound card to play through the piano's speaker/amplifier although the computer might have this built in depending on configuration

2) Yamaha does in fact sample its own pianos, Roland samples Steinways and perhaps others (since Roland does not make acoustic pianos.) Yamaha acoustics have a reputation for being very "bright" where Steinways are darker and more mellow. There is no "better sounding" - depends on what you like. My Roland has controls to modify the sample sound (brighter, reverberation, etc.) and the equivalent Yamaha probably does too

3) Can't comment on speaker location, let your ears be the guide. In-cabinet speakers sound best to me since they give the illusion of coming from inside the piano. Other things equal, more power is better than less power since pianos can put out huge transient levels when played fortissimo. (My Roland has 12 speakers and 240 watts!)

4) You can't add internal sounds/voices to most digital pianos - what's built in is what you get, although as noted above there are ways to tweak how they sound. Adding new sounds requires external devices - either hardware or software on your computer. Don't confuse sounds with midi files, which are instructions to the pianos about how to play a song. You can play any midi file on any midi keyboard that has a full General Midi implementation.

5) I believe the KR-177 is no longer a current model and has been replaced by the KR-3. I'd hold out for a very low price. It's a good piano, though

A lower-cost way to get started would be to buy a "stage" piano which is essentially a keyboard and electronics without the cabinet. Some have speakers, some don't, but you can use your home stereo. Most don't have built-in floppies so you'd have to interface a computer for midi playback and recording. Most also have only a subset of General Midi sounds, but as a beginner that may be all you need. The Yamaha P80 has gotten good reviews. Equivalent Roland (last time I looked) was the RD700.

Hope that helps,
jim

#679272 - 01/09/03 08:50 PM Re: Specific Qs to Finalize Buying Decision
Kris_dup1 Offline

Loc: Northwest
JimM, thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed and informative response.

I recall reading several folks advising (in previous threads) that the action of the keyboard is more important than the built in voices because one could always add additional voices. I guess I need to explore that a bit more.

Thanks again.

#679273 - 01/10/03 01:30 AM Re: Specific Qs to Finalize Buying Decision
JimM Offline

Loc: Northern California
Kris, I would agree that action is more important than sounds since you can add "external" sounds via midi. I connected a computer running GigaStudio (sample-player) to my Roland and use its piano library exclusively. There are cheaper and less-complex approaches as well (Roland's soft synth software, for example, or hardware modules).
jim

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Trill technique question
by pianolearnerstride
12/19/14 10:19 PM
Anyone use a seat cushion?
by DeadPoets
12/19/14 08:48 PM
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
12/19/14 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 07:37 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160006 Topics
2349690 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission